Am I getting old?

Kylie Jaxxon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

LOL.  Of all of the "Watch, Season, Episode" spam threads that have been going around, I have never heard of more than half of them :(  I have to admit, I hardly ever watch television...I don't think I have turned mine on in over a month, except watching the playoffs/World Series.  Does this mean I'm getting old, finding other things to do instead (SL) or the assortment of shows is crap? 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

or the assortment of shows is crap? 

Well, THAT is a safe bet anytime. By the way the there were two more of those 'watch' posts five minutes ago when I signed in; both disappeared less than a minute later. Hopefully things have improved; the other day they'd struck every single forum but the internationals before even the first one was taken down.

I haven't heard of most of those shows either, but then I'm kinda old. :smileywink:

Yeah, you & I must be in the same boat :smileytongue:

I have noticed them being taken down sooner rather then later...Yay!

ETA:  Last time I watched any tv, the reality shows were ridiculous.  I gave up on them after I saw "Survivor" only does locales where the girls can be in bathing suits, skimpy tops...talk about exploitation.  But then again, the women let themselves be exploited for their 15 mins of fame or the almighty $ :(  I always questioned in the beginning, for a real survivor contest, why aren't they doing places in the wilderness/snow, etc...took me awhile to figure it out.

Yep, I'm old too. And cranky. Telly today isn't as good as the real telly we had when I was young. And music now sucks. Who are all these people making "music" these days; I've never heard of any of them. And these young girls today don't wear enough clothes. They all need a good hot dinner and their mothers should be handing them a warm cardie as they leave the house.

/me goes back to crochetting little jackets for her numerous cats.

I like Survivor.......heck I like Big Brother too.  Not so much for the "competition" but for the comedy.  I mean someone tries to convince me and everyone else that they are playing witn integrity.  Integrity?  On a competition based on deception, cheating and lying?  It's funny.......really funny.  :)

I like Dancing with the Stars too..........but this season it's really getting bad.  I mean contestants who can actually dance are getting cut simply because a couple others (who can't dance at all) have special interest groups stacking the "fan" vote in their favor.  It's ruining the one reality show that actually was based on being the best.  Oh well, it may be the last season I watch that show.....depends on how the next couple weeks go.

Back on topic..........I don't know over half of those shows either.  I think there are a lot from countries where they may be popular but unknown in other countries.  How many people in Europe or Asia know about Dancing with the Stars?  Very popular in the US..........but other countries?  Probably not.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

How many people in Europe or Asia know about Dancing with the Stars?  Very popular in the US..........but other countries?  Probably not.

in the UK we have our own version called Strictly Come Dancing and one of the sattellite channels carries Dancing with the Stars when that's on as well as American versions of other British tv shows

Tiffy...that's the truth.  Television isn't anything like when we were young.  Not just the type of programming but the whole structure of it.  I believe you are not US, so not sure it worked the same way, but here when I was growing up, all the new shows started in September...it was really something to look forward to.  It ended in May and you got the summer to catch any episodes you missed.  Now, they seem to cancel them right out of the gate after a few weeks and have something called "mid-season" replacements :(  Go figure.

A story about raising young girls...mine was probably about 13 or 14 back when spandex leggings were the vogue.  She begged me for weeks to let her get a pair.  I finally relented under the one condition that she wear a long shirt with it...and I mean long :)  The very next morning she comes out dressed in them minus the long shirt...I should say she is part Arab descent, so a little exotic looking and built, even at that age.  I told her she wasn't going to school dressed like that, sent her back to her room to put jeans on and took the scissors to them in front of her.  That was the end of that!  I had to prove I meant business.  Needless to say, she hated me for a very long time.  Luckily for my kids, I was there in the mornings to see how they left and in the afternoons when they came home.  In the last few years, I got a thank you for that. That's a lot of the problem back then and today, I believe...no parental oversee :(

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

I like Survivor.......heck I like Big Brother too.  Not so much for the "competition" but for the comedy.  I mean someone tries to convince me and everyone else that they are playing witn integrity.  Integrity?  On a competition based on deception, cheating and lying?  It's funny.......really funny. 
:)

I like Dancing with the Stars too..........but this season it's really getting bad.  I mean contestants who can actually dance are getting cut simply because a couple others (who can't dance at all) have special interest groups stacking the "fan" vote in their favor.  It's ruining the one reality show that actually was based on being the best.  Oh well, it may be the last season I watch that show.....depends on how the next couple weeks go.

Totally agree on your first point.

On your second, I was that way about American Idol too...I quit watching it half way through last years season, don't intend on watching it this year.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

But is Dancing with the Stars popular like it is in the US?  I bet most Europeans don't even know about the show.

Oh wow Peggy!  Like American Idol and X factor did you not know that this is **bleep** we have managed to successfully shovel over to your side of the pond? We knew it too well and decided to export.  Still clearing up the mess here though :smileysad:

No.  You are still young. If you ask that question you don't know what old is.  When you are actually old you will know it and have no need to ask random, vaguely polite strangers this question. When you start to post questions here and half way thru you forget what you are posting  you are getting up in years.  When you no longer care that you are old then rest assured (or in peace) you are really old.  Now explain to me what a television is? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.