Am I getting old?

Kylie Jaxxon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freecilla Kuhn wrote:

Too much spam on TV to be bothered with it. I heard of most of those shows but I couldn't name anyone that is in any of them. It's weird how we now have so many movie actors these days but I have no idea what movie they were in but there are no more TV stars.

Yes....I was over my daughters house while one of the awards show was on, and thought, who are these people, lol.

Maryanne Solo wrote:

I have heard of those shows but have never seen any of them. Somehow I don't think I ever will either ^^

It's pretty funny regarding music these days. If you knew that you didn't have to have
the most
angelic voice in the whole world or be
able
to sing, you might have actually become a singer and been world famous lol.

Hi Maryanne.  It never ceases to amaze me how singers think they're actors and actors think they're singers...go figure.

TV joined movie theaters, cassette tape and 8-track in the junk bin of history about a decade ago. Everything is now PC-based: DVDs, downloads, websites, streaming media etc. What is really weird is the archaic movie release system. The whole world has shifted to illegal downloads because film studios wait almost a year before releasing legal DVDs. I can't think of a single person who has been inside a movie theater (a building where people pay to sit in chairs and looks at a projection on a big screen) in the past five years. As for TV, our kids will laugh when they see them in museums.

Deltango Vale wrote:

TV joined movie theaters, cassette tape and 8-track in the junk bin of history about a decade ago. Everything is now PC-based: DVDs, downloads, websites, streaming media etc. What is really weird is the archaic movie release system. The whole world has shifted to illegal downloads because film studios wait almost a year before releasing legal DVDs. I can't think of a single person who has been inside a movie theater (a building where people pay to sit in chairs and looks at a projection on a big screen) in the past five years. As for TV, our kids will laugh when they see them in museums.

Ah yes, the 8-track...I remember them only too well :matte-motes-agape:

RE: "I always presumed I was the oldest in this bunch, but you might have me beat ."  Add a walker to that emoticon, and that will, in fact be me. 

Everyone in SL thinks they are the oldest.  I met someone the other day who was 14 in the sandbox. He assumed I was a contemporary of his.

It is in fact ME thats the oldest and that's why I act so  childish in SL.  I've gone up the curve of life and now I'm coming down.  Just like a roller coaster - wheeeee!.  It goes faster as it closes in on the end.

I am old enough to have worn hot pants and look hot in them.  I want to once again put on my white go-go boots (where any of us thought we were GOing I haven't a clue) and my Mary Quant lip gloss, if only for a minute in the privacy of my own home.

Edited twice, because at my age I'm allowed a few "do-overs"

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

Wow, Maddie...I can't imagine never to have watched television at all :smileysurprised:  

Curious...do you take in movies?

Kylie, as I noted, I did watch some TV in college and some during my marriage. The rapid fire editing of most shows of those times (late 80's, early 90's) made my head hurt, so I watched mostly old shows like Route 66, Twilight Zone, Andy Griffith, Dick Van **bleep** (I never liked I Love Lucy). I was also a member of the "Hi Bobbers", who would sit in the student lounge and yell "Hi Bob" along with whoever greated Bob Newhart on his show.

When I was little, Dad played rented movies on an old projector in the barn. And I do mean old. It was built in 1916 and played synchronized records for the sound track. Dad added a gizmo to play sound from newer movies, so I'm familiar with the works of Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd (I met his grandaughter while wearing glasses like his, she got a giggle out of it) and Charlie Chaplain. Years ago, a string quartet from Chicago called "No Talking Please" came to Milwaukee to show Chaplains' "The Gold Rush". They had re-scored the movie and played live during the showing. It was magnificent. Chaplain scored the original soundtrack and theirs just blew it away. I have not been able to enjoy watching the movie as much since.

motiograph.jpg

Someday (I still haven't gotten over the trauma) I will tell the story of trying to slice a banana on the shutter wheel.

Oh, and given a choice to go ballroom dancing with the Howard of my choice, I'd pic Curly over Trevor in a heartbeat (Ron's okay too). If I had to pick a Clooney, it would be a draw between Rosemary and George.

Nacy Nightfire wrote:

It is in fact ME thats the oldest and that's why I act so  
childish
childlike in SL. 

Nacy, I hope you don't mind if I "fixed" it for you. I don't know you all that well, so hope I've picked a better word ;-)

I want to once again put on my white go-go boots (where any of us thought we were 
GOi
ng I haven't a clue) and my Mary Quant lip gloss, if only for a minute in the privacy of my own home.

I know a great many folks who'd get true joy out of seeing you once again put on those go-go boots. You aren't the only one still able to fully inhabit the youth of your old soul ;-)

Edited twice, because at my age I'm allowed a few "do-overs"

At your age you're allowed all the "do-overs" you can stay awake for ;-)

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

Jo Yardley wrote:

I got rid of my tv years ago, one of the best decisions ive ever made,
also threw my mobile phone away

:smileysurprised:  Never, ever could I do that.

It is great!

Such freedom!

I can actually go for a walk and not be bothered by anyone.

Most people with mobile phones I know are slaves to the damn things.

So quickly do we think we can't live without something, forgetting that we have done just that for centuries.

The only time I go to the cinema these days is in SL ;) but also when they play a nice old 1930s movie in our local old amazing looking cinema.

It is on saturday morning and there are mostly old people.

So no rudeness, no loud talking, no mobile phone madness, etc.

And no horrendous advertisements, no sound track that makes you shake in your boots and stories with normal people who behave in a way I understand.

I don't get modern movies, or modern people.

I am not the oldest person in SL, but I bet I look the oldest.

Here I am in my 1930s clothes in my 1930s house;

3861911393_98a4b81ae6.jpg

Nacy Nightfire wrote:

RE: "I always presumed I was the oldest in this bunch, but you might have me beat ."  Add a walker to that emoticon, and that will, in fact be me. 

Everyone in SL thinks they are the oldest.  I met someone the other day who was 14 in the sandbox. He assumed I was a contemporary of his.

It is in fact ME thats the oldest and that's why I act so  childish in SL.  I've gone up the curve of life and now I'm coming down.  Just like a roller coaster - wheeeee!.  It goes faster as it closes in on the end.

@Kylie: I was waiting for this before answering your question; I'd seen Nacy make similar comments before and since she was already in the thread I figured she would speak up. I never admit my actual age, so I'm perfectly happy to have Nacy lay claim to the 'oldest' tag. Even if I think there might be some room for doubt.:smileywink:

I do know one thing and I know it's true for others as well: Second Life helps keep me young.

Thanks for the edit Madelaine,  however I DO mean chidlish.

And yes, my husband would truely get joy out of seeing me wear those go go boots.  That is if its the only bit of clothing I put on and I danced around a bit like Nancy Sinatra (I can hear you youngsters groan from where I sit.  Guess what!?!  You never really lose "it"...or the desire for "it". This is why your near vision eyesight starts to go at 40.  It's an act of kindness by some supreme being.)

As to staying awake...that's my biggest problem.  If only I could get some sleep at a reasonable hour...say before 3 a.m.  this new fangled invention called the Ipad is kiling me.

Thank you, Dillon, for showing respect to your elders by not editing the wording of my posts or contradicting my claim to be the eldest. :matte-motes-wink:

I'm very candid about my age in real life. In SL I preferred initially to be "ageless" so I'd not be shut out of the opportunity to experience friendships with folks of all ages.  After 4 years in SL, I have now experienced these other generations, I'm satisfied I'm not missing anything, and I am content.

Nacy Nightfire wrote:

@ Jo

You dropped a stitch. And empty that ashtray.  You are going to nod off and set the house a-flame.

LOL :matte-motes-silly:

To Maddie, Jo, Dillon & Nacy - thanks for contributing...you are all a riot!!  :matte-motes-inlove:

Nacy Nightfire wrote:

Thank you, Dillon, for showing respect to your elders by not editing the wording of my posts or contradicting my claim to be the eldest. :matte-motes-wink:

My pleasure, I assure you.

I'm very candid about my age in real life. In SL I preferred initially to be "ageless" so I'd not be shut out of the opportunity to experience friendships with folks of all ages.  After 4 years in SL, I have now experienced these other generations, I'm satisfied I'm not missing anything, and I am content.

Interesting. I would write: I'm very candid about my age in real life. In SL I prefer to be 'ageless' (well sorta; 29 and holding is my target area). Pretty close. And in fact I have just begun my fourth year here and find I'm a great deal more candid about my 'life experience' than I was at the start.  Who knows, by this time next year maybe I'll be challenging you to an 'age-off' and we'll be posting driver's license images.

In the meantime I'll hope you're planning on going to H2; I have an idea you can do the look pretty well. :smileywink:

Too

Many

Commercials

I was watching a channel the other day and they had 15 minutes straight of stupid commercials. So basically I don't watch those free channels I pay for anymore. But then the premium channels become unavailable until i change to a commercial infested channel and watch 5 minutes of them.

The internet is going to kill off "television" because it is a dinosaur, the news is all political party aligned state controlled media, and it is all pathetic. Most of it is owned by disney anyway so no wonder.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.