Am I getting old?

Kylie Jaxxon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The oldest RL age of a person I've met in SL is 80 something. I don't know exactly because it was some time ago he told me his age and I don't remember how long ago that was Lol. 

He says it up front for some reason, appropos of not much, shortly after saying hi. Then he hits on you.  :)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eww!

I don't want to be hit on by anyone but find older people generally more interesting to talk to then young'ns.

The post war generation is so bweh.

I grew up in the 70s, I've seen enough babyboomers, hippies, punks, goths and more silly people like that, to last me a lifetime.

"Because, I know people in SL who have let their RL age be known, and they are older than me.  (Unless they are lying..and why would they lie to make themselves older? ) "

If they are 14 year old boys, they will lie to make themselves older, rest assured.

Edited to add:  There's something I find objectionable to your stating : "why would they lie to make themselves older?" 

This is at the heart of the matter with the overvaluing of youth at all cost.  What's wrong with being old?  What's the alternative?   Being dead?  Aging is not a disease or a failure.  It's a natural process that we are lucky enough to go thru if we are forunate to live that long.  The problem we face is current attitudes about aging.  Its as iif older/old people come from a different planet and by aging  have done something very wrong and are exiled to this one.  

Nacy Nightfire wrote:

The point is he has such a hot bod he doesn't NEED a belt. He has a butt to keep his pants up.
;)

Every man needs a belt, or suspenders.

If not, eventually their trousers will slide down and expose their shirt or if they are completely brain dead nutcases with no style, class or taste, they are not wearing a long shirt and their underpants will be on public display.

I know, sounds insane, but some "men" walk around like that.

I keep warning them about that but it appears to be on purpose!

/me shakes her head.

I reckon style died somewhere in the 1940s.

Jo Yardley wrote:

Nacy Nightfire wrote:

The point is he has such a hot bod he doesn't NEED a belt. He has a butt to keep his pants up.
;)

Every man needs a belt, or suspenders.

If not, eventually their trousers will slide down and expose their shirt or if they are completely brain dead nutcases with no style, class or taste, they are not wearing a long shirt and their underpants will be on public display.

I know, sounds insane, but some "men" walk around like that.

I keep warning them about that but it appears to be on purpose!

/me shakes her head.

I reckon style died somewhere in the 1940s.

You forgot to mention that no gentleman worth his salt should be seen outside without some appropriate headwear and to be well versed in how to doff it at the fairer sex.

Sy Beck wrote:

You forgot to mention that no gentleman worth his salt should be seen outside without some appropriate headwear and to be well versed in how to doff it at the fairer sex.

Well that goes without saying doesn't it?

Us ladies would also rarely go outside without covering our head, wearing gloves, a hankerchief and a small revolver in our garterbelt.

Or is that just me?

Time machine?  I've found it. It's called dreaming.  (A poor substitute for THAT might be SL. )  

I go back in time often when I sleep and it's a hoot.  I can't welcome you over to share my brain, however.  It's unfit for human habitation and the experience would bear none of the delights of  "Being John Malkovich"  I'm guessing most likely would pay to NOT see the world thru my brain.   I must get around to cleaning that up some day.

Unfortunately I very rarey remember my dreams.

SL is a reasonable substitute, more interactive then movies anyway.

In RL I live in a timewarp, everything but my computer is 1930s-40s in my surroundings, that generally works as well.

But still, if you find a real time machine, I NEED to know about it.

Well if you never watched much television to begin with then that's not a really good metric for whether you are aging past the current norm in television but....

Yes the norm has changed.  I disagree that the quality of television dramas, comedies and other traditional programming has declined but "reality" based television has taken over much of the market because it is much cheaper and gets ratings for commercial revenues.  (They don't have to pay writers.  They don't have to pay actors for most part and for those that do get paid they aren't obligated under collective bargaining agreements to pay them standard residuals.)

I despise reality based television.  Reality based television has led to the demise of lots of television shows that were exceptional or had potential (Life is one that comes to mind but there are probably dozens of others).

Oh and yes, unless you are living your life like Benjamin Button you are getting old.  :smileytongue:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.