Cliques and cults in SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Persephone Emerald wrote:

The The Advanced Bonewits’ Cult Danger Evaluation Frame is a good guide for distiguishing a cult. Since people in SL can't really have this much control over others, I don't think we need to worry about cults in here.

Excellent source.  I like the sliding scale.  So, it is entirely possible that one would be under cult-like influences without being in a full-blown cult.  Given in SL that anyone can teleport out of situations and mute anyone they choose, no one can truely be 'controlled' unless they choose to be controlled. 

Well, actually i am not very much a groupy not in RL, not in SL... Why? because of peer pressure and unwanted influences... and i really do dislike routines and trash cult which the latter is very, very pressuring in SL... like... Linda should you not get a better skin in all these years?... uhmm no, i deeply dislike bling, tattoos, cacial hair, caps, barbie dolling and trash wear... eeeewwww, and the latter is sooo SL cult, but i have never ever engaged to that. I stayed myself... Did i ever find a group matching me? Some... a few yes, but 2 or 3 in my almost 5 years in SL, and they were not pressuring at all.

I tend to be very selective in SL, much more even than RL. I'd like to keep my SL warm, dignified with loyalty to matching friends in SL (rare).

Hmm am i a cult now? Lol, perhaps one on my own... hahah.

Because i am me... a free thinking spirit as much as possible which is unique these days ;)

""None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free"... Goethe...)

One guy who is loud and sometimes obnoxious will be seen parading his ass down the red carpet like he owns the place and on many occasion he would be seen parading with a loyal companion by his side or trailing his back. He will wiggle his saggy behind and many times will burp like a giant toad to onlookers. His companion without much cue will auto respond to his action in the form of appraisal or forced laugh. Sometimes he will burp and fart at an innocent passerby, the poor passerby will reprimand him and of course being the cult leader he must assert his authority therefore he retaliates. His loyal companion will quickly echoed his sentiments. Of course when asked why this loyal companion behaves like that, he/she will quickly reply that he/she is his/her own person and he/she thinks they're right.

Litlle that they know, they are seen by others as a cult.....

And the only way to bring them down is an organised stampede from another, much bigger Cult group....

Not that I'm not enjoying what I'm seeing....

You only need to have one other person beside yourself to form a group. I think I will form a cult group myself... except maybe this one is of more binding nature than the usual. Anyone who wants to join must marry me. With complete marriage ritual and sacrifical of lambs or anything that moves. I may or may not need to consumate the marriage depending on the colour of hair, quality of skin and the amount of scripted genitalia. But almost everyone is welcome, of course... I'll send you an invite too if I think you may be good in bed or something. Or I'll IM'd you and entice you with loads of features in the form of Flickr Brochures of the cult's activity and your reaction will determined whether you'll be a good candidate in my cult's "Make Love Not War" quest of hugging ever trees in SL and filling up all those unmanned vehicles on the mainland road with flaxseed oil.

Your reward? A day spent exclusively with yours truly in my Xcite compatible, eco-friendly hammock up in the sky. (We'll play Sudoku...)

So who is with me?

Hello Venus: That's a rather interesting definition of a cult, it could in fact be, by your terms, everyone who joined SL is a member of a cult. The cult being SL itself.

Group for the sole purpose of pulling the group together for formal and informal gatherings Is this against their expressed will?

These groups are not open enrollment because the leader(s) like to maintain ‘quality control’ over membership. You pay the 100L you to can set the limits on your group, your money your choice.

Group gatherings occur on a regular basis, sometimes with a ‘theme’ – like dancing with sheep or wearing funny hats. So a group in your mind should not get together, should stand around watching paint dry, cows not sheep, and don't touch the hats.

When threats surface, the leader may intervene personally and try to influence the threat and, ultimately, draw the threat into the fold (to better control it). Don't let Rodvik read that one.

Just thought I would quickly mention the above, to me it doesn't make sense.

I really stopped by to drop off your order of Bats blood, newt eyes, brooms and second hand chrome plated candle holders. Where do you want them over here by the.......oh my what a big kettle.

@Canoro A very nice answer:)

@Willow: I'm in :)

Venus Petrov wrote:

I am not referring to informal gatherings of individuals who share like interests.  I am not referring to RP groups like Bloodlines.  I am referring to individuals who create a Group for the sole purpose of pulling the group together for formal and informal gatherings.  These groups are not open enrollment because the leader(s) like to maintain ‘quality control’ over membership.  Group gatherings occur on a regular basis, sometimes with a ‘theme’ – like dancing with sheep or wearing funny hats.  Most group members, once inculcated, will acknowledge publicly the leader or leaders.  This social construct is a clique.

To become a cult, one individual in particular must be at least informally acknowledged as
the
 leader.  This leader influences what cult members do and think (particularly about others) and will work to influence the views of non-cult members who they may feel have an influential voice for some members or future members.  In many instances, the power of this leader is not obvious to those outside the cult.  The leader will quietly gather information and may use surrogates to keep members in line.

When threats surface, the leader may intervene personally and try to influence the threat and, ultimately, draw the threat into the fold (to better control it).  Dissent is a threat.  Any public views must be supportive of individual members.  Views contrary to members from the outside must be suppressed (by ignoring, flaming, or removing).

Are you or have you been a member of a clique or cult in SL?   Have you experienced the influence of a clique or cult?  Please do not use names as it is against Community Standards.

Melita Magic wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

Nope. Not much of a joiner.

Oh yeah? You may not be 'much of a joiner' but I seem to remember you doing something that brought people together. That is 'joining' too.

Does that make me a cult
leader
? :smileysurprised:

:-). Dunno. Do elves have cults?

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

Nope. Not much of a joiner.

Oh yeah? You may not be 'much of a joiner' but I seem to remember you doing something that brought people together. That is 'joining' too.

Does that make me a cult
leader
? :smileysurprised:

:-). Dunno. Do elves have cults?

And headquarters...

keebler elves tree.jpg

I think that such groups are usually foundered with the best of intentions. However, after a period of time, once the novelty factor is gone, they often become divisive.

Some people seem to thrive on the attention they get, and influence they enjoy, from playing a key role organising the activities of such groups and a certain bitterness sets in as they see the group beginning to break up and their ability to influence others diminish. 

Never been part of a clique as such, but I do have a sudden urge to paint myself orange for some strange reason, but I do have a couple of groups where I and only one other person are members.

Both of them have been dear friends from the beginning. I guess it's the staying power. The only thing it gives me is a totally brilliant group tag. Aside from that, it's not even thought about and NEVER deleted no matter how much I want the free shoes. ;)

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments and views.  Anywhere there are people (even operating avatars), there will be those who seek to influence others.  Most of the time it is benign and harmless.  Sometimes it is a bit stronger.  Then there are times when it becomes difficult for some to escape.

My OP was intentionally provocative to encourage discussion.  If it resonated with some readers, even those who may not have posted, for whatever reason, it's a good thing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.