Best ways to navigate reporting theft?

Just now, kazimer said:

I'm wanting to report skin ripping from someone I know, what sorts of evidence are best, and how much evidence would be enough?

I assume you've contacted the person who has been victimized by this? Any sort of action is only going to be credible coming from the person who is the victim of the theft.

They (or you, I suppose) can file an AR, with screen shots, but there's no way that I know of to report something on the Marketplace, unless it's false advertising. I suppose you can try to report it as such.

Possibly this is a DMCA violation, in which case it gets reported to external authorities, and not to LL directly at all.

• Like 1

The issue is that they aren't selling the components, they are taking let's say a tattoo off of a skin they saw on a stranger and using it on theirs, frankensteining their skins

• Confused 2

15 minutes ago, kazimer said:

I'm wanting to report skin ripping from someone I know,

Tell the person you know, then mind your own business from that point on.

16 minutes ago, kazimer said:

what sorts of evidence are best, and how much evidence would be enough?

None, it's not your job to report it, it's your ripped off known person's job.

4 minutes ago, kazimer said:

The issue is that

Doesn't matter.

YOU cannot officially report the "theft" of another resident's IP, only THEY can do that, so you tell them, and leave it wiith them and go mind your own business.

That's how the system works, and or good reasons.

"I saw a mesh dress today for sale by merchant z, for less money than it's sold for by Merchant X, so OBVIOUSLY ripped, how do I report that to LL"" 

One doesn't, in this hypothetical case, it's probably just that X and Z both bought full perm template from Y., so one reports it to X, and THEY can decide if Z "ripped their stuff" or not, and then run through procedure if they were ripped.

Our part ENDS when we tell the assumed Victim.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Or the person you think stole it might be an alt of the original creator or someone they are friends with that they gave it to. You aren't and can't expect to be privy to the person that made its transactions. Let them know if you are concenred. Share the link Rowan provided for them to use if they want to. Your role is no more than to let them know. It is for the IP owner to decide what if anything to do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, discussionbot said:

“Good artists borrow, great artists steal.”

25 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

One of the "great artists", one of those Dutch "Old Masters", is known to have routinely carried sketching materials with him when visiting wealthy clients, so he could make quick sketches of the paintings by other artists, in their great halls, while waiting for his appointment, so he could copy it later if one of his clients asked for the same subject matter.

It's also known that 90% of each of his paintings was actually painted by his apprentices, while the "great Artist" only did the faces and hands, later when the rest of the picture was done.

More recently, over-rated graffiti vandal, "Banksy" got caught when it was discovered that many of his most famous works were direct steals from the gallery showing of a non-famous woman artist, a couple of years earlier..

Do "artists" steal,? Of course they do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The 'best' artists just combine elements in new ways that please them. It has nothing to do with copying others or 'stealing'.  For example, there was a pond I made that I ended up considering 'art' because the color combinations were especially pleasing to me and evoked a certain feeling.  Many other creations I don't consider 'art'...I didn't learn anything new, and it didn't seem particularly pleasing to me in the end.

A 'good' artist competes against themselves...simply to know and appreciate the beauty inherent in the elements of our world, and how they can be combined in limitless ways.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kazimer said:

The issue is that they aren't selling the components, they are taking let's say a tattoo off of a skin they saw on a stranger and using it on theirs, frankensteining their skins

Interesting... How do you know they aren't layering tattoos upon the skin with BoM? That is not Frankensteining, but customizing.

It is 62 layers and I use several of them the same time. Freckles, birthmarks, tattoos, eyebrows, highlighter, hairbase, makeup...

You can not tell, because BoM bakes it to a single texture.

• Like 5

I think your question has already been answered well by others in this thread, so I won't repeat what has already been said.

I would personally be very careful to suggest that theft is taking place unless you know with absolutely certainty that this tattoo was in fact a 100% original creation by the creator. A vast majority of the smaller/less complex tattoos you see are just ripped straight from Google, fitted to the UV and then uploaded to SL - and while I am not suggesting that is necessarily the case here, it could very well be that both of them simply sourced it from the same place.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

Interesting... How do you know they aren't layering tattoos upon the skin with BoM? That is not Frankensteining, but customizing.

It is 62 layers and I use several of them the same time. Freckles, birthmarks, tattoos, eyebrows, highlighter, hairbase, makeup...

You can not tell, because BoM bakes it to a single texture.

Great point, the original poster may not understand that you can combine many tattoos just using layering.

And the tattoo they thought was "stolen" may not be "original" (or "unique").

• Like 1