The End Of An Era and what was a wonderful, enlightened virtual world....

40 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Nah.  Am3liaoxxx3389 probably had that name in another platform where that's the rule. She would have kept it here and become Am3liaoxxx3389 Amore, either because she lacked imagination -- I doubt that -- or because it's a pain to have to remember a new name when you move from one place to another on the Internet.  ;)

Probably like Am3liaG0mes Pessoa, who joined in 2007.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Ksenia Elcano said:

If last names were available, she wouldn't have had to choose such a complex first name to avoid duplicates. With last names, her user name would been something like Amelia Amore, a memorable name with alliteration.

Or she could have done like I did and combine her two names into one simple one: AmeliaAmore. If she like the current option better than that, I guess more power to her, but her complex name is NOT the only option.

Given the very limited last name options, I actually chose to move on from my original account, which *does* have a separate last name (Caerolle Llewellyn) to a Resident name (CaerolleClaudel) just to have the last name I want as part of my name. I am guessing most people can figure it out pretty easily.

Of COURSE, I am not saying that is the option *everyone* should choose, just pointing out that one person out of probably 100s of thousands is not really someone LL gives AF about. Just as they don’t with people who want some name other than the extremely limited and to me ridiculous last names that are available for a high price, even if they were free like in the past.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Nah.  Am3liaoxxx3389 probably had that name in another platform where that's the rule. She would have kept it here and become Am3liaoxxx3389 Amore, either because she lacked imagination -- I doubt that -- or because it's a pain to have to remember a new name when you move from one place to another on the Internet.  ;)

OT but I like my current SL name so much that I use it in all my online activities and would use it IRL if it weren’t such a pain in the ass to change your name lol. It does cause a lot of confusion when I have to give people my e-mail addy IRL though lol.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Viewer 2 and later, allow you to have those tool bar buttons on ANY of the 4 sides of the screen, or none, they are entirely optional.

No. v2.x viewers had the sliding side bar (Flexible UI). Configurable buttons in (non-sliding) side bars came later on, with v3+ viewers (CHUI).

Let's be clear here, Viewer 1.23, was broken crap, that ”Clueless Captain Oldbie Bad Tech Superstition” about how you ”must clear your texture cache everyday” is due to massive flaws in V1.

There is no such constraint in my viewer... And the texture cache has nothing to do with the UI itself. FYI I pretty much rewrote the texture cache, and threaded it entirely; the code is not v1, v2, v6 or whatever any more...

Henri suggested they try his viiewer, so they asked him if it supported V2 style alpha layers instead of only using invisiprims. He replied yes, so then they asked him HOW MANY alpha layers it let you wear (Viewer 2 allowed 4 or 5 at the time ), and he replied 1.

This was the case for v1.19.0.5 (back in 2008), yes, before I backported all the new wearable layers from v1.23+, but even back then I had all the multiple alphas and everything implemented in my 1.19.2 fork (which has been maintained for over a full year in parallel with my 1.23 fork).

I suggest you give another try to the viewer, instead of relying on old (and obviously deprecated) memory...

Reality is V1 style Zombie Clones use a UI, that is ALIEN to a great many SecondLifer's, V1 suffered a well deserved death, 14 years ago. there's an entire generation used to the V2/3/4/5/6/7 UI.

Amusingly, when v2 came out, everyone hated it and wanted to keep v1... 🤣

Phoenix's team very well understood it since they backported a lot of the v1 UI-like features as a legacy skin/mode for their viewer...

Here again, you should give my viewer a try, since it's not ”original v1” UI any more, and I did add quite a few usability features (for example, you can hide/unhide the blue menus in the upper right corner, or you can change what buttons are shown in the tool bar, and you can add side bar buttons via Lua to support your own shortcuts or features).

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
typo
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

I suggest you give another try to the viewer

Is it still a Viewer 1 Zombie Clone with the "Pie Menu's of ALIEN Awfulness" UI?

I'll pass.

5 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

via Lua

Having used Lua before, I can honestly say I'd rather stick forks in my eyes that use it again for ANYTHING in SL.

I'll HARD pass.

10 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Amusingly, when v2 came out, everyone hated it and wanted to keep v1...

Breaking News.

Viewer 1 Zombies, preferred a Viewer 1 Zombie Clone to something designed by people who had a clue what they were doing.

No pictures at 11, because... Ewww Viewer 1 Zombies.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Is it still a Viewer 1 Zombie Clone with the ”Pie Menu's of ALIEN Awfulness” UI?

I happen to love the pie menu... It's super-fast to use and easy to train your ”muscle memory” for it.

With v2+ context menus, you must read two dozens of menu (and sub-menus) entries, then carefully move the mouse pointer to hover on the right entry to click it.

The pie menu is a great productivity tool...

I'll pass.

I'll HARD pass.

Is there anything in life (Second or Real life), that you do like ?...

So many criticisms, so little constructive suggestions... I find it sad coming from someone who is definitely not stupid, and could spend their energy to try and improve things, instead of systematically badmouthing everything... 🫤

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
typo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Nah.  Am3liaoxxx3389 probably had that name in another platform where that's the rule. She would have kept it here and become Am3liaoxxx3389 Amore, either because she lacked imagination -- I doubt that -- or because it's a pain to have to remember a new name when you move from one place to another on the Internet.

Yes, but she probably would have been coming from a more typical gaming platform with a name like GamerGerl24, when she encounters the SL signup. The SL signup asks her to select first and last names, which shocks her out of traditional game-mind thinking and introduces her to SL culture, which has at its core community.

People virtually live in SL. They are residents. It's not a place where you drop in, shoot a few enemy combatants, insult the other players,  and then log. You make friends, relationships, build homes, and engage in commerce.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ksenia Elcano said:

It's not a place where you drop in, shoot a few enemy combatants, insult the other players,  and then log. You make friends, relationships, build homes, and engage in commerce.

A significant number of the Spewtubers who make videos of their brief forays into SL would disagree with you.

Which is one of the best reasons to avoid places like the infamous "Laghole City" noob pit.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

I happen to love the pie menu... It's super-fast to use and easy to train you ”muscle memory” for it.

With v2+ context menus, you must read two dozens of menu (and sub-menus) entries, then carefully move the mouse pointer to hover on the right entry to click it.

Which is why the majority of the worlds professionally designed software applications use Pie Menus, right?

Oh...

Wait...

They don't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ksenia Elcano said:

If last names were available, she wouldn't have had to choose such a complex first name to avoid duplicates. With last names, her user name would been something like Amelia Amore, a memorable name with alliteration.

Rowan was created without a last name.  I didn't need any numbers or convoluted name.  I made a first name and attached a last name.  RowanMinx using the display name Rowan Minx.  Same as right now.  People who came in AFTER last names had no reason to think there were last names ever available if they were actually new and quickly began using those display names.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:
42 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

I happen to love the pie menu... It's super-fast to use and easy to train you ”muscle memory” for it.

Which is why the majority of the worlds professionally designed software applications use Pie Menus, right?

Oh...

Wait...

They don't.

Applications generally use the UI of the operating system they run on. Linear menus descended (literally and figuratively) from menu bars. Once that precedent was set (Xerox>Apple>Microsoft>Etc) linear became the norm. UI research has consistently shown that pie menus are more efficient and less error prone.

Another example of familiarity winning over efficiency would be the QWERTY vs DVORAK.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
2 hours ago, Ksenia Elcano said:

Rowan was created without a last name.  I didn't need any numbers or convoluted name.  I made a first name and attached a last name.  RowanMinx using the display name Rowan Minx.  Same as right now.  People who came in AFTER last names had no reason to think there were last names ever available if they were actually new and quickly began using those display names.

I didn't need weird un-pronouncable collections of letters and numbers when I chose the name "Zalificent", I didn't need a "display name" either., but I've seen enough people with Legacy Last Names who used insane first names, with numbers and random letters, and failed attempts at "ascii art" names.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The large part of why there are so many names with odd letters and numbers is that a lot of people signing up thought that when they created the account, that was just for signing into the account and not their inworld name or that they would be able to choose/change their inworld name once they had established themselves more.  Apparently, that was more normal where they had come from.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

The large part of why there are so many names with odd letters and numbers is that a lot of people signing up thought that when they created the account, that was just for signing into the account and not their inworld name or that they would be able to choose/change their inworld name once they had established themselves more.  Apparently, that was more normal where they had come from.

Or

"But surely I'm the FIRST person in history to sign up for this internet thing, who is called  [ insert standard traditional first name here, such as 'Jane' ]

Wait, what do you mean I can't be Jane, why do I have to be Jane509739507A?"

A slight case of "Your world, NO imagination" on their part.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Or

"But surely I'm the FIRST person in history to sign up for this internet thing, who is called  [ insert standard traditional first name here, such as 'Jane' ]

Wait, what do you mean I can't be Jane, why do I have to be Jane509739507A?"

A slight case of "Your world, NO imagination" on their part.

Yes, internet inexperience probably played a large part too.

23 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Another example of familiarity winning over efficiency would be the QWERTY vs DVORAK.

The idiots behind Dvorak made a CLASSIC mistake.

"Let's IMPROVE things with EXCESSIVE EFFICIENCY over common sense.! What could go wrong?"

So, an ALIEN layout contrary to what EVERYONE was used to, coupled with it's weird ass design, and niche market status causing the new keyboards to be really expensive.

"I ain't paying that much for a weird ass keyboard designed by some alien dude from Silly-Cone-Head Valley, who has 12 fingers all the wrong length!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

OT but I like my current SL name so much that I use it in all my online activities and would use it IRL if it weren’t such a pain in the ass to change your name lol. It does cause a lot of confusion when I have to give people my e-mail addy IRL though lol.

I use my SL email for everything in RL, why not?

I try to avoid using it to send e-mail to non SL people though.

Who the hell is BilliJo Aldrin, and why are they e-mailing me?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ksenia Elcano said:

It's not a place where you drop in, shoot a few enemy combatants, insult the other players,  and then log.

If there was a sim in SL set up like that, I'd probably drop by. It sounds like fun. 😂

Actually, it kind of sounds like the forums

At least you wouldn't have to worry about getting time outs like you do in the forums.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

At least you wouldn't have to worry about getting time outs

So you don't remember a thread where a macho idiot suggested that SL should let him "punch" people for looking at his GF's avatar, and that being "punched" should knock the punched person OFFLINE, and that the amount of time you were forced offline should be based on the value of the punchers "upper torso muscles" slider in shape edit.

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I didn't need weird un-pronouncable collections of letters and numbers when I chose the name "Zalificent", I didn't need a "display name" either., but I've seen enough people with Legacy Last Names who used insane first names, with numbers and random letters, and failed attempts at "ascii art" names.

I made an alt a few years ago. I was able to create a cool username with the judicious substitution of similar sounding letters for the "common ones". There is no need for a string of random letters and numbers if you have a modicum of creativity

Then just for fun, I gave her a perfectly bland and boring display name.

1 minute ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

So you don't remember a thread where a macho idiot suggested that SL should let him "punch" people for looking at his GF's avatar, and that being "punched" should knock the punched person OFFLINE, and that the amount of time you were forced offline should be based on the value of the punchers "upper torso muscles" slider in shape edit.

No, I missed that one.

I got banned (and probably still am) from a BDSM sim one time for smacking some slaves ass without asking permission though.

Whiney SL doms 😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Coming soon to a badly designed SL viewer near you, the keyboard nobody sane wants to use!

I'd replace "sane" with "who's learned QWERTY". That's almost all current typists, so DVORAK is effectively dead.

Here's another way to look at it...

If Sholes had used the DVORAK keyboard layout in the first commercially successful typewriter, would anyone have proposed QWERTY as an improvement six decades later?

History is littered with choices that were right at the time but look wrong in retrospect. As we grab the chalk from the tray to draw the next step in the long arc of human history, you can understand our wistfulness over the phrase "clean slate".

• Like 4