The End Of An Era and what was a wonderful, enlightened virtual world....

13 minutes ago, BriannaLovey said:

Don't wait for the winds to shift. Adjust your sails to the wind. LL isn't going to do anything about it at the end of the day, so all you can do is try to help people who are affected the most.

That is exactly what I'm trying to do, as you already know. SL would be totally meaningless to me without the people I'm close to. They aren't replaceable. And you are big help in me trying to accomplish that!!! Thank you!!

Edited by SandorWren

7 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

And negativity hasn't helped somebody going forward.

Hopefully you don't mean Brianna has been negative. She's been fully positive!!!

Edited by SandorWren
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:

If you understand, and I def don't completely understand it, the amount of increased demand on your system resources the new PBR viewers require for the minimal gains they offer in exchange, you might be furious. But then again it is suppose to do amazing things for us with additional features. But . . . how on Earth are some of us supposed to be able to deal with some of the newer features when we can barely deal with PBR. I usually use pre-PBR viewers and lately have been experimenting with a text-based no mesh render viewer, since it essentially allows me to stand around in sims I'm familiar with and chat, lol.

Not to be mean or disrespectful, just curious....I've heard you complain from the beginning, but just what do you do in Second Life?  We all have different reasons for being here, and I would guess that the PBR might influence some to not like it.  I personally have no problem with it, or running my machine, but I tend to stick to myself and decorate :P

• Like 7

5 hours ago, SandorWren said:

It doesn't change my mind on the fact that eventually there WILL be a fully photorealistic virtual world.

Maybe, but it will never be Second Life, if LL stays at the wheel.
A way too small company to achieve this, with way too little people interested to use Second life IMHO.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Maybe, but it will never be Second Life, if LL stays at the wheel.
A way to small company to achieve this, with way to little people interested to use it IMHO.

I didn't say it would be LL. But eventually some company will achieve this.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kylie Jaxxon said:

Not to be mean or disrespectful, just curious....I've heard you complain from the beginning, but just what do you do in Second Life?  We all have different reasons for being here, and I would guess that the PBR might influence some to not like it.  I personally have no problem with it, or running my machine, but I tend to stick to myself and decorate

I came here cause I was bored. I don't do anything unusual. I play with scripts, explore, chat, and campaign against the march of progress that I believe is going to run SL into the ground.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dorientje Woller said:
1 hour ago, BriannaLovey said:

The ugliness that people are seeing is likely for 2 reasons:

1) Some creators who want to try putting PBR materials on their stuff may be overdoing it.

2) Many people are using environment settings that are being broken by PBR as a result of changes.

Don't wait for the winds to shift. Adjust your sails to the wind. LL isn't going to do anything about it at the end of the day, so all you can do is try to help people who are affected the most.

And negativity hasn't helped somebody going forward.

It's entirely possible that I'm misreading your post here, and you aren't directing this at Brianna, but I'm not sure that I understand how she's being "negative" here by pointing out entirely fixable problems?

This isn't a "PBR SUX, and where's my torch!" post, but rather one that notes that there are positive ways to respond to things that people certainly have been complaining about.

But again, maybe I'm misreading here?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:
39 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"PBR SUX, and where's my torch!"

That would me, lol. =]

I am actually glad, that you have something relatively meaningless to complain about!

In the scheme of things, it could be much, much worse. (War, famine, etc.)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I am actually glad, that you have something relatively meaningless to complain about!

In the scheme of things, it could be much, much worse. (War, famine, etc.)

I don't even know which line to try to respond to.

14 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Try ignoring both. It works for me. ;) 

We'll pretend that we said something and be happy. That works for me being inside my own mind on the daily. I swear, my Kool-Aid wasn't spiked with anything.

Edited by Simo Vodopan

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's entirely possible that I'm misreading your post here, and you aren't directing this at Brianna, but I'm not sure that I understand how she's being "negative" here by pointing out entirely fixable problems?

This isn't a "PBR SUX, and where's my torch!" post, but rather one that notes that there are positive ways to respond to things that people certainly have been complaining about.

But again, maybe I'm misreading here?

I have spent some time chatting with Brianna inworld. She is a very lovely person, and absolutely positive. She was the one who helped me with a linux issue, when the Firestorm support group couldn't!!! Brianna knows her stuff!!!

Edited by SandorWren
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, SandorWren said:

I have spent some time chatting with Brianna inworld. She is a very lovely person, and absolutely positive. She was the one who helped me with a linux issue, when the Firestorm support group couldn't!!! Brianna knows her stuff!!!

Same. And we've tag-teamed in a few group chats in the Phoenix-Firestorm Preview group.

One might disagree (or not) with her views on PBR, but Brianna has done nothing but try to assist those who are having difficulties with it. Two thumbs up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, PBR finally destroyed my fans. While it's in the shop (warranty, so I don't have to) I'm stuck with a GTX 1650 Ti.

You can still get by in SL with medium specs, it works just fine. But it gets HOT (not in a good way). Optimised SL PBR certainly is not. This ain't normal. Let's not pretend otherwise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

But it gets HOT (not in a good way). Optimised SL PBR certainly is not. This ain't normal. Let's not pretend otherwise.

All chips are almost as efficient as dedicated space heaters when converting power to heat.

This is normal and why your GPU will have a lot of built in thermal management. It's designed to fun full beans, all day, every day, for years solid. This requires external cooling (fans), should those fail (or be inadequate) , it can self regulate it's own clock speed to cut the load and save itself from harm, while still running at the max temperature.

Your GPU (and CPU) are in fact thermally limited by the built in thermal management.

This is why bigger better coolers exist for CPUs, the goal is to remove the thermal cap on performance by providing more than enough cooling capacity,

This is also why the same model GPU can be had for a range of prices. The bigger more expensive ones have bigger more expensive cooling solutions. Again, this is to remove the thermal cap on performance.

This is also why PC cases are mostly fans now, to keep feeding the core components with cooler air from outside the case in order to maximize performance.

PBR didn't break your fans. You likely neglected basic maintenance and never cleaned your PC.

Well maintained fans will run for decades at full tilt without issue.

Unless you're a smoker of course.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

All chips are almost as efficient as dedicated space heaters when converting power to heat.

This is normal and why your GPU will have a lot of built in thermal management. It's designed to fun full beans, all day, every day, for years solid. This requires external cooling (fans), should those fail (or be inadequate) , it can self regulate it's own clock speed to cut the load and save itself from harm, while still running at the max temperature.

Your GPU (and CPU) are in fact thermally limited by the built in thermal management.

This is why bigger better coolers exist for CPUs, the goal is to remove the thermal cap on performance by providing more than enough cooling capacity,

This is also why the same model GPU can be had for a range of prices. The bigger more expensive ones have bigger more expensive cooling solutions. Again, this is to remove the thermal cap on performance.

This is also why PC cases are mostly fans now, to keep feeding the core components with cooler air from outside the case in order to maximize performance.

PBR didn't break your fans. You likely neglected basic maintenance and never cleaned your PC.

Well maintained fans will run for decades at full tilt without issue.

Unless you're a smoker of course.

Geez. I built my first PC in 1992. I'm a long time fan of your viewer. You make even Zal seem agreeable in this post. Chill :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

So, PBR finally destroyed my fans. While it's in the shop (warranty, so I don't have to) I'm stuck with a GTX 1650 Ti.

You can still get by in SL with medium specs, it works just fine. But it gets HOT (not in a good way). Optimised SL PBR certainly is not. This ain't normal. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Server fans + zip tie method never fails, just saying. Those things are meant to run forever.

Edited by BriannaLovey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1