The End Of An Era and what was a wonderful, enlightened virtual world....

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Men are so frickin' weird about their things.

What can I say, the parasympathetic nervous system has a lot to answer for 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

Sir , we threaten to quit second life here. Not talk about our 🍆s. 🤨

You say that, but if it was shown that PBR could substantively improve the beauty and realism of inworld 🍆s, people would be remortgaging the farm to upgrade their kit ASAP!

Never mind the beauty of golden sunsets reflecting off the azure ocean, what LL needs is to emphasise the benefits of more beautiful 🍆s to the whole 'Spicy SL' initiative.

Edited by JacksonBollock
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Hey, I might not need to buy that new computer after all 😂

You could at least install your new graphics card that doesn't have a broken fan.   If you wonder about the future of SL, then perhaps these two guys might have something to say.  Soon?  Because only 5 days left for SL21B:

Monday, July 1st at 11:30am PT - Attend our second Community Roundtable at the SL21B Aquatorium with Executive Chairman Oberwolf Linden and Senior VP of Product Operations & Marketing Patch Linden. Our Community Roundtables give you the opportunity to connect directly with our top executives, share your input, and discuss ideas on enhancing Second Life. This initiative represents another step in our efforts to improve our community interactions, ensuring that your voice is more directly heard and valued.
POSTPONED: The scheduled SL21B Community Roundtable event has been postponed. Stay tuned for an announcement on the new time and date. In the meantime, we've extended the deadline to submit questions in advance at https://second.life/sl21b061024 

Keep an eye on this blog for more information about SL21B coming soon!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

There are no inworld mesh creation tools.

Given how much trouble LL seem to have had creating an intuitive and user friendly viewer I think it's best if they don't try and incorporate their own homebrewed version of Blender in the one they have now.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, JacksonBollock said:

You say that, but if it was shown that PBR could substantively improve the beauty and realism of inworld 🍆s, people would be remortgaging the farm to upgrade their kit ASAP!

Never mind the beauty of golden sunsets reflecting off the azure ocean, what LL needs is to emphasise the benefits of more beautiful 🍆s to the whole 'Spicy SL' initiative.

I agree!  What's with all the eggplant hate all of a sudden?  They are a delicious vegetable!  They look just fine, with or without PBR.  See here, for example.  Nice basket of them, all shiny and ready to slice.

Edited by Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia said:

I agree!  What's with all the eggplant hate all of a sudden?  They are a delicious vegetable!  They look just fine, with or without PBR.  See here, for example.  Nice basket of them, all shiny and ready to slice.

Sorry, my bad, I misunderstood the meaning of the emoji - I was talking about p*n*ses.

(SL really is a strange  little world when you realize what LL choose to censor and what to let slip on by - turns out 'todger' is fine 🙂)

Edited by JacksonBollock
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia said:

That reminds me of a joke about a gay guy, a butcher shop, and a salami, but its adult, so I can't tell it. 😁

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'm sad you're not going to mount your trusty white steed and come save us from the evil overlords I tell ya!

Other people ride in on white steeds but it's hard to look at them because their environment settings make the steed blindingly bright.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Other people ride in on white steeds but it's hard to look at them because their environment settings make the steed blindingly bright.

One of the things im grateful most about pbr , is exposure settings and the way anything white doesn't blind me anymore. 

For what it's worth, on Windows I've been taking the current Alchemy Viewer for a spin and I'm seeing quite a jump in performance on my hardware compared to Firestorm.

Like I actually went and capped my framerate in the nvidia control panel because it was a bit out of hand 😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

You can't create in sandboxes any more. There are no inworld mesh creation tools.

None of the in-world creation tools we've had since then have been taken away, though. You still can create stuff in sandboxes, just probably not things that people will be flocking to purchase - but then, if you're creating for an income as your primary incentive, are you in the right place to begin with? 

Nothing wrong with throwing out a few prims to play with. You wouldn't say no to Lego just because no one would pay you for playing with it, right? Heck, I've even played D&D with RNG HUDs and prims. It is what you make of it. People these days are just so used to being served entertainment on a silver platter they've somehow grown incapable of making their own fun. 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Orwar said:

People these days are just so used to being served entertainment on a silver platter they've somehow grown incapable of making their own fun. 

images.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

FIFY!

BlocksNotMemes.jpg.4ad14107b91221778bb894a79b822425.jpg

It's a strange new world where 'back in the day' stories are about the iniquities suffered by online avatars in a virtual world, accessed via a modern computer and fast broadband, while sitting in a comfy chair 

You kids don't know you're born, back in the day we didn't have point to point teleport, my poor avatar had to walk uphill, both ways, in the snow,  from a telehub  in the middle of nowhere 🙂 

Edited by JacksonBollock
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Orwar said:

None of the in-world creation tools we've had since then have been taken away, though. You still can create stuff in sandboxes, just probably not things that people will be flocking to purchase - but then, if you're creating for an income as your primary incentive, are you in the right place to begin with? 

Nothing wrong with throwing out a few prims to play with. You wouldn't say no to Lego just because no one would pay you for playing with it, right? Heck, I've even played D&D with RNG HUDs and prims. It is what you make of it. People these days are just so used to being served entertainment on a silver platter they've somehow grown incapable of making their own fun. 

I meant you can’t create the latest and the grestest mesh wonders.

I still build using prims. I enjoy it as much as when i rezzed my first prim.

😁

11 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I am morbidly curious to see what your setup looks like

its just a dell computer with the side panel off and two fans blowing on the graphics card, a 20 inch monitor and and an ancient keyboard. I love the clicky clacky sound, and modern keyboards are pure junk. I get mine free from work. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

....an ancient keyboard. I love the clicky clacky sound, and modern keyboards are pure junk.

Me too. 

And if you're an ok touch typist, and get up a good head of steam, you can pretend you're in a typing pool from the 1950s 🙂

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JacksonBollock said:

You kids don't know you're born, back in the day we didn't have point to point teleport, my poor avatar had to walk uphill, both ways, in the snow,  from a telehub  in the middle of nowhere 🙂

Come to think of it "walking uphill in the snow" is a pretty accurate analogy of trying to navigate your way through the lag of the multitier mega-malls that sprang up around some of those old telehubs. :)

15 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I meant you can’t create the latest and the grestest mesh wonders.

Not to disparage some of the very talented SL creators that do amazing things with prims but, when it comes to the capabilities of the average resident, the inability to create really good quality mesh content within SL is more of a skill issue than a lack of appropriate tools or features.  Even if LL provided the necessary tools to create mesh within SL it's still going to be just as complicated and take just as long to learn to make mesh properly.  Additionally, since the toolset will never be as versatile as a standalone app, it would still be next to impossible to make mesh in SL that's as impressive or efficient as mesh made in a third party app like Blender.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

modern keyboards are pure junk

They really are. The trouble is most manufacturers switched from mechanical switches to membrane. You can still get decent keyboards, the modern equivalent to those older keyboards would be a keyboard with MX Brown switches, but they tend to go for a premium.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

They really are. The trouble is most manufacturers switched from mechanical switches to membrane. You can still get decent keyboards, the modern equivalent to those older keyboards would be a keyboard with MX Brown switches, but they tend to go for a premium.

I have a mechanical keyboard, they tend to last much longer. Mine just happens to have LEDs on it. I love that clickity-clack sound.

Edited by Janet Voxel
  • Like 2