Is Lindenlab choosing a doomed path for SL ? Tell us if the EEP and PBR introduction changed the way you play SL

1 minute ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

And yet we also have "LL has destroyed SL! All my friends are leaving and SL is ruined! LL is incompetent!". I guess we should all pack up and leave now. Will someone feed my Teegle dog?

Well, clearly not. But some of those responding to the rage posters have cast a pretty wide net, no?

And we're not helping anyone here anymore. Unless smug complacency helps?

Probably not, eh?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Clearly it is, or we wouldn't have countless posts saying "all my friends have to leave SL because it won't run on their computers anymore".

Unless they're lying about all the people quitting? That's UNPOSSIBLE.

People don't quit, they just stop coming. No big fanfare, just don't log in as much and eventually not at all. Less friends online and clubs die out faster then usual.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

2) Everyone else should have listened to Paul

That's terrible advice. There are much more reliable people that everyone else should have listened to.

Should have taken me up on my offer to help, though? That would have prevented "all my friends are leaving SL and LL is about to go out of business because of it!" that keeps getting posted.

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Sort of. We've moved on from trying to assist people, to simply castigating or dismissing them as unimportant, so this thread, far from being useful, is now just toxic.

We're 38 pages in. The people that can and/or will be helped are doing that elsewhere. The only ones left in here are the ones screaming that this is the end of LL. We can absolutely dismiss them as unimportant.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Hexem said:

Should have taken me up on my offer to help, though? That would have prevented "all my friends are leaving SL and LL is about to go out of business because of it!" that keeps getting posted.

Right. All of the tens of thousands of users now experiencing issues who were hanging out at the forum. You should be grateful they didn't; you'd have been a very busy man!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

People can continue to use the previous version of Firestorm, and other viewers. Why would you leave now?

Not now, but if LL insists on making this hell of a software hack mandatory there will be a certain loss. Alos, I do not know if you are in any significant SL group, or if you follow the conversations there. If you would be, you´d not be so optimistic.

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, clearly not. But some of those responding to the rage posters have cast a pretty wide net, no?

And we're not helping anyone here anymore. Unless smug complacency helps?

Probably not, eh?

You were expecting these forums to be helpful and non-toxic? I actually agree, I am appalled at how some people have replied to those who are having issues, even if the chicken little act gets old fast. I have helped friends who are having issues, and even recommended that some stay on the previous version of FS for the time being. I am not sure much good can be accomplished here in any case. People are too polarized, which is so shocking because RL is so non-polarized 😛

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Right. All of the tens of thousands of users now experiencing issues who were hanging out at the forum. You should be grateful they didn't; you'd have been a very busy man!

I do have a lot of free time.

I actually gave scripting classes for a while, did you know that? Everyone graduated with flying colors, because I showed them llSetColor and llSetHover!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Not sure that applies to laptops. I happened to try the update on my Acer Nitro 5 that i usually use as a server but also at times doubles as a somewhat mobile device and when I managed to login with it, it got quite warm in my lap when I was using it there. I don't usually notice it getting warmer when I have the older FS running.

I've always used a laptop with SL.   It's definitely going to get warmer with the PBR viewers.   Mine does but it's well within specs for the graphics card and cpu.

• Like 1

Just now, Vivienne Schell said:

Not now, but if LL insists on making this hell of a software hack mandatory there will be a certain loss. Alos, I do not know if you are in any significant SL group, or if you follow the conversations there. If you would be, you´d not be so optimistic.

I am in them, but I have also been in SL for 21 years and seen it time and time and time again. I take the rage quitters with a grain of salt. I would like to see LL step up a bit here, they are oddly silent as Rome burns, considering they did create this mess, even if it was delayed until Firestorm released their update. Firestorm support has taken the brunt of the wrath for something they did not do - they actually held the line trying to get LL to fix their broken release even when faced with a ton of pressure (though I do think releasing for 21B was a mistake).

• Like 2

You were expecting these forums to be helpful and non-toxic? I actually agree, I am appalled at how some people have replied to those who are having issues, even if the chicken little act gets old fast. I have helped friends who are having issues, and even recommended that some stay on the previous version of FS for the time being. I am not sure much good can be accomplished here in any case. People are too polarized, which is so shocking because RL is so non-polarized 😛

Yeah, the forums are not a solution to the larger issue. Which is why I'm so annoyed at LL for dropping the ball so badly on this, and not producing a simple guide for the 99% of SLers who don't come to the forum, and weren't able to benefit from Paul's excellent offer of personal assistance.

Anyway, this is all leaving a rather icky taste in my mouth now, so I'm walking away. I have been helping friends in-world when I can: we all do, I guess, our little bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:
3 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I do have a lot of free time.

I actually gave scripting classes for a while, did you know that? Everyone graduated with flying colors, because I showed them llSetColor and llSetHover!

Oh my god,, you are a superhero.

You know what they say, "Not all superheroes wear capes."

• Like 1

Yeah, the forums are not a solution to the larger issue. Which is why I'm so annoyed at LL for dropping the ball so badly on this, and not producing a simple guide for the 99% of SLers who don't come to the forum, and weren't able to benefit from Paul's excellent offer of personal assistance.

Anyway, this is all leaving a rather icky taste in my mouth now, so I'm walking away. I have been helping friends in-world when I can: we all do, I guess, our little bit.

Yes LL has completely, spectacularly dropped the ball here. I say that as someone who loves PBR. I had the luxury of being eased into it at my choice as a tester, and had a lot of info at hand and support to turn to. Regular SL users have been thrown to the wolves and LL went home.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I am in them, but I have also been in SL for 21 years and seen it time and time and time again. I take the rage quitters with a grain of salt. I would like to see LL step up a bit here, they are oddly silent as Rome burns, considering they did create this mess, even if it was delayed until Firestorm released their update. Firestorm support has taken the brunt of the wrath for something they did not do - they actually held the line trying to get LL to fix their broken release even when faced with a ton of pressure (though I do think releasing for 21B was a mistake).

All true, but I only encountered an comparible outcry in-world when LL came up with the first  windlight viewer, looong ago, which was a true showstopper. The result was: Linden Lab withrew the release and worked on the code until it somehow became usable, even lower end. As is now, this baby has the potential to disrupt the customer base, which is predominantlty running lower end/midrange hardware. And i  seriously do not see the target group LL goes for alternatively, not anywhere.

6 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Yes LL has completely, spectacularly dropped the ball here. I say that as someone who loves PBR. I had the luxury of being eased into it at my choice as a tester, and had a lot of info at hand and support to turn to. Regular SL users have been thrown to the wolves and LL went home.

Maybe now people will understand how child avatars initially felt 7 weeks ago when everything was dropped on us. 

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Almost 20 years ago, a German company released a new space themed game, with "super advanced graphics".

At the time less than 5% of PC's in use could run it at anything other than LOW settings..

Within 3 months, it had gone from £40 a copy to the "Thee for £5" bin in the local PC gamer shops.

Today, I doubt if even 1% of gamers have ever heard of it.

Futureness Cultist Hardware Snob Elitism comes with a price.

Top three Reasons why AAA games companies are currently neck deep in the brown and smelly and sinking fast.

1. Covid isn't keeping people indoors with nothing to do but play computer games.

2. Ripping out decent gameplay and fun and replacing it with preachy DEI Fake virtue signalling on "important issues" like Distant planets having too many attractive women, ( translation: ANY ).

3. Thinking "kewl grafiix" is a substitute for decent gameplay and FUN.

Multiple games companies have gone BUST over this 3 step program for losing customers.

AND YOU ARE ENCOURAGING LL TO FOLLOW THEM.

One of my fave computer games is a submarine warfare game called silent service, it is dos based, and i’ve managed to install it on every computer I’ve owned except the current one. The graphics are downright primitive but the game play is intense. Flashy graphics mean nothing compared to a basic, well designed game

LL is going all in on flash, and forgetting why people signed up in the first place.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
changed SL to LL

26 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Yes, the majority of residents don't like having to fiddle with 100's of settings at all.

...Which is why the majority of residents use the official Second Life Viewer that keeps things simple for them :D

The majority actually use Firestorm, not the SL viewer. That is why there has been such a delayed outcry on PBR. It has been in the SL viewer since December.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

Maybe now people will understand how child avatars initially felt 7 weeks ago when everything was dropped on us. 

I was sympathetic then, too. No one likes to have sudden changes to their SL that affects their enjoyment of it. My big concern when bloggate happened is that there would be a crackdown on adult content for all users, and adult content is something I enjoy a lot in SL. It is not the entirety of my SL, but I would be pissed if it were restricted. Ultimately I felt the changes they made were reasonable, but I have no skin in that particular game other than not wanting it to spill over onto the rest of us.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

One of my fave computer games is a submarine warfare game called silent service, it is dos based, and i’ve managed to install it on every computer I’ve owned except the current one. The graphics are downright primitive but the game play is intense. Flashy graphics mean nothing compared to a basic, well designed game

LL is going all in on flash, and forgetting why people signed up in the first place.

Quick off-topic - Have you tried grabbing it from GOG? No DOSBox needed (it's integrated already). They optimize old games for newer systems. https://www.gog.com/en/game/silent_service_12

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1