Firestorm PBR Release Is Out

1 hour ago, Modulated said:

So you're one of those ' if I can't run it then no one else should be allowed either'...go open a window.  :/

I can run it, but why shoiuld i run a piece of software which lets my GPU scream, while there isn´t anything to render which could possibly make it scream?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AtomicShrink said:

I'm a mac user and this new release is dicking with me! I want it off my computer! Anyone know where I can get the previous firestorm Viewer?! Please help as I can't stand it anymore!

Duplicate

Edited by Arielle Popstar

Hey I noticed a difference between this release and the beta I was using previously: Reported avatar height in the Shape edit window. I seem to have lost 4" on all my shapes!?

Like a shape that was 5'6 is now 5'2, 6 feet is now 5'6 etc. Anyone else?

I always thought Firestorm had the more accurate height reporting... has it now reverted back to how the official viewer reports it without any tweaking?

Edited by AmeliaJ08

1 hour ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Like a shape that was 5'6 is now 5'2, 6 feet is now 5'6 etc. Anyone else?

I think that is right, I was adjusting my height last night with the PBR release and noticed I had shrunk to under 7 feet.

I am on prior release now and height slider is 89 and I am 7.05 feet. Going to switch to PBR and look again.

Now on FS PBR and slider at 89, I am 6.67 feet. or about 4" shorter in Edit.  So which height is correct now?

2nd thought - It's a plot by LL to make everyone too short to be an adult, by using the old FS  and not realizing they were 4" shorter.  Clever how they snuck that change in the FS PBR release 2 days ago. :)

Either upgrade or look like a child.  Of course the SL viewer height measurement has always been wrong, leading to more giants in SL.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 1

I really thought I had reached the end of my SL journey. I had done everything I could think of, followed all the tips, and it still wasn't working. I finally found a video online about changing the fan speeds on my alienware, 10 minutes later I'm getting great results like I had on the previous FS version. Temperature issue gone. So, yay!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Annie Evergreen said:

I really thought I had reached the end of my SL journey. I had done everything I could think of, followed all the tips, and it still wasn't working. I finally found a video online about changing the fan speeds on my alienware, 10 minutes later I'm getting great results like I had on the previous FS version. Temperature issue gone. So, yay!

nice that it just took  fan  speed change to resolve your issue. Mine wound being a little more involved requiring a clean like this video shows to get a 20C drop in temp and a reduction in GPU cycles. 

12 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

nice that it just took  fan  speed change to resolve your issue. Mine wound being a little more involved requiring a clean like this video shows to get a 20C drop in temp and a reduction in GPU cycles. 

I thought vacuums created static electricity, which is something you totally want to avoid creating around your computer and components. I didn't even see a grounding strap on him. 

I mean I'm not the one that cleans my computer, but I did a lot of research on them before and I don't think you're sposed to do it like he is.

He could have just blown all that dust out of there really with a can of air..

As dusty as it was though, he must not do that a lot anyways.. hehehe

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I thought vacuums created static electricity, which is something you totally want to avoid creating around your computer and components. I didn't even see a grounding strap on him. 

Now we know why Arielle's computer isn't working so well with this update....   :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I mean I'm not the one that cleans my computer, but I did a lot of research on them before and I don't think you're sposed to do it like he is.

He could have just blown all that dust out of there really with a can of air..

As dusty as it was though, he must not do that a lot anyways.. hehehe

It is a safety precaution but a little overrated imo after cleaning plenty of machines over the years. Maybe just best to wear rubber soled footwear and don't do it in a carpeted room?

Canned air is not strong enough for heavily dusted components and I typically use an air compressor at 50-60 psi and use the equivalent of 5-6 cans of air to really clean a desktop. Even then as the case for that Nvidia card, it wasn't enough because of the way it was designed it would just push the dust to the air flow outlets and get stuck there. The only real solution was to remove the card and dissemble it and hope the heatsinks don't need new paste on them. 

My partner had an AMD card she had to freshen the paste on every 6 months to a year when she owned it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It is a safety precaution but a little overrated imo after cleaning plenty of machines over the years. Maybe just best to wear rubber soled footwear and don't do it in a carpeted room?

Just make sure you are not ”charged”: touch something which is grounded in your house, and as long as you kept it plugged to the mains, your computer case is grounded, so just touch it before touching the components inside (and even if the PC is not grounded, this will ensure everything inside is brought to the same electric potential as your own body, and will avoid electric discharges into the components you will touch after that).

37 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I thought vacuums created static electricity

Not at all... Urban legend. You'd need close to supersonic air flux to create enough static electricity, and you'd need the device to be insulated from the ground (a strong dry air flux can create static electricity on insulated objects, such as on an air plane hull while in flight).

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Maybe just best to wear rubber soled footwear and don't do it in a carpeted room?

I think you meant don't wear rubber soled footwear... rubber is an excellent insulator and great for making lots of static if you run around that carpeted room ;)

If you are working on live electrics, wearing rubber footwear can limit a shock going through you because of the resistance to ground, but to limit static build-up on your body you want the opposite. Bare-footed is best.

Henry beat me to the rest of it.

When working on my PCs I make sure I've had everything in contact with the grounded PC case/chassis. It's easiest if the PC's PSU or the mains socket has a switch. Then you can turn it off, so can play around inside the PC without any risk that something is still powered (it usually is as long as it's turned on at the mains). Otherwise, you need to pull the plug but as long as you've grounded before you do, and don't go running around shuffling your feet on the carpet, it's fine.

My office (converted bedroom) used to be static-safe and look like a NASA lab; this is the sort of thing I used to get up to. That grey mat is conductive and earthed, and there's a similar mat on the floor under the desk:

DSC_0143a.thumb.jpg.79ea9c684c322bedafaf1a3ac0d75113.jpg

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Rick Nightingale said:

I think you meant don't wear rubber soled footwear... rubber is an excellent insulator and great for making lots of static if you run around that carpeted room ;)

If you are working on live electrics, wearing rubber footwear can limit a shock going through you because of the resistance to ground, but to limit static build-up on your body you want the opposite. Bare-footed is best.

Henry beat me to the rest of it.

When working on my PCs I make sure I've had everything in contact with the grounded PC case/chassis. It's easiest if the PC's PSU or the mains socket has a switch. Then you can turn it off, so can play around inside the PC without any risk that something is still powered (it usually is as long as it's turned on at the mains). Otherwise, you need to pull the plug but as long as you've grounded before you do, and don't go running around shuffling your feet on the carpet, it's fine.

My office (converted bedroom) used to be static-safe and look like a NASA lab; this is the sort of thing I used to get up to. That grey mat is conductive and earthed, and there's a similar mat on the floor under the desk:

DSC_0143a.thumb.jpg.79ea9c684c322bedafaf1a3ac0d75113.jpg

Well, I did say not to do it in a carpeted room 😏 I tend to wear rubber soled shoes because I do heavy duty dusting jobs outside as I don't want to blow dust all over the room or house when I'm cleaning. I don't use a vacuum as the suction is not strong enough to get the dust out of all the nooks and crannies.

7 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

image.png.3fabe85daf30552490fe3078722e1309.png

This is wrong, why i have to limit the FPS to 60 on Firestorm when i run  over 100 on Cyberpunk 2077 without having the fans screaming and the whole pc hot? And why i can stay with 144 fps with Alchemy vsync or using Black Dragon without any problem, i was not spend 500 dollars monitor and 600 of videocard for stay on 60 FPS.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

currently i have the default option 1 i would like to switch mine to the 2nd option of the this menu... How do i switch mine to be like the 2nd version

448803666_7779435268805224_1865974860177584573_n.jpg

7 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I think that is right, I was adjusting my height last night with the PBR release and noticed I had shrunk to under 7 feet.

I am on prior release now and height slider is 89 and I am 7.05 feet. Going to switch to PBR and look again.

Now on FS PBR and slider at 89, I am 6.67 feet. or about 4" shorter in Edit.  So which height is correct now?

2nd thought - It's a plot by LL to make everyone too short to be an adult, by using the old FS  and not realizing they were 4" shorter.  Clever how they snuck that change in the FS PBR release 2 days ago. :)

Either upgrade or look like a child.  Of course the SL viewer height measurement has always been wrong, leading to more giants in SL.

I'm not sure it's a plot or an effort to make you look like a child lol, I think all that has happened is Firestorm reports avatar height the same as the official viewer now. Weird change to make for the release version though, the betas did not do this.

Surprised nobody else has mentioned it. @Whirly Fizzle am I right in my theory?

1 hour ago, KellyMorris said:

This is wrong, why i have to limit the FPS to 60 on Firestorm when i run  over 100 on Cyberpunk 2077 without having the fans screaming and the whole pc hot? And why i can stay with 144 fps with Alchemy vsync or using Black Dragon without any problem, i was not spend 500 dollars monitor and 600 of videocard for stay on 60 FPS.

Nobody can explain whatever is going on with your hardware but what you are saying doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

There's no huge difference between 144fps in Firestorm and 144fps in Cyberpunk. If anything Cyberpunk should be making more noise and heat given it tends to max out CPU and GPU in a way that SL could only dream of, you tend to see quite low CPU utilization in SL now.

There's a good argument for limiting framerate in SL though: it's not worth it beyond 60fps, arguably it isn't worth it beyond 30. The simulator itself only works at 55fps, there's basically no time you'd ever feel any benefit from a higher frame rate like in twitch FPS games etc. I'm not even sure animations are made to benefit from high frame rates, it certainly doesn't feel any smoother beyond 60fps so if you had a high refresh monitor you could probably happily set the frame limiter to half its max refresh and not notice.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Annie Evergreen said:

If it is a laptop this is a good sign it needs a clean. You should probably open most laptops every 6 months for cleaning, the heatsinks are very fine and clog up with dust very quickly. The fans also have super fine blades and really don't cope with much dust buildup at all.

It's one of those things manufacturers never mention but gaming laptops always come to me absolutely clogged with dust since people don't open them and clean heatsinks themselves.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Of course the SL viewer height measurement has always been wrong, leading to more giants in SL.

The LL lab viewer always said you were shorter than you actually were, while the FS viewer said you were taller. Perhaps FS has fixed that issue. If you make a prim your actual size rather than using the edit appearance window to measure yourself, then FS may actually show your real height. I posted about this in another thread.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

The LL lab viewer always said you were shorter than you actually were, while the FS viewer said you were taller. Perhaps FS has fixed that issue. If you make a prim your actual size rather than using the edit appearance window to measure yourself, then FS may actually show your real height. I posted about this in another thread.

Yeah I will have to do the prim comparison thing and see what is going on. It definitely looks to me like FS and Official are now reporting the same height in the shape editor though, I did always notice people using Official did always seem very tall to me because 4" is quite significant.

I have a rather old computer. It was smoking hot when I bought it five years ago, but five years is a long time in the tech world. It's not a potato as yet, but it won't be long and it will meet the mashed potato test. lol

My stats:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz (3600 MHz)
Memory: 16228 MB (Used: 1755 MB)
Concurrency: 16
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19045.4529)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Graphics Card Memory: 11027 MB

I had enough issues with the FS Beta PBR viewer that I uninstalled it and went back to the regular release some time ago. But I was surprised just how well the current release ran on my computer yesterday. I have always used the limit FPS on my viewer because I run all the bells and whistles. I have my graphics set to one step down from ultra.  

graphics.png.b838ef625e9e874b0cdd2daa4a3ccadd.png

So for testing yesterday, I unchecked the limit framerate box. Standing at home on my deck looking out to sea my fps hovers between 180 and 200. When I turn and look toward my neighbors the fps drops momentarily and then stabilizes around 80-90. Yesterday while at the birthday, standing in a crowd at a music event my fps didn't ever drop below 40. Now I'm going to have to test that against the LL viewer at the birthday.

I've been switching between LL and FS viewer for months now when I wanted to use a PBR enabled viewer. Before this release the LL viewer smoked the beta test FS PBR viewer. Honestly, there are a few, very few, features in the FS viewer that still keep me preferring it over the LL viewer, but if FS went away tomorrow, I'd be just fine on the LL viewer. But I would sorely miss my area search, derender objects, and favorite wearables box. 

Edit: I forgot to also add that my fans didn't work any harder using this new release either. My temps hover around 50c typically and that didn't change.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1