What will 'finer-grained controls for content maturity' look like?

56 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

There are enough dead platforms to be able to draw some pretty stark conclusions at this point.

Make-your-own-fun social worlds live and die based on two simple points; Social momentum and adult content.

Social momentum can be explained with one very simple example. I used to use ICQ to talk to my friends. I stopped using ICQ when they did.

Social momentum will carry us a long way all by itself, but what gets that ball rolling and keeps it rolling is the availability of adult content. Take that away and the ball slows down and eventually stops, no matter how much awesome other stuff we have.

It doesn't matter if the bulk of the population aren't into adult content, in the absence of another driving factor, removing that causes momentum to fade.

VRChat and IMVU both have adult content. All other virtual worlds are dead or daycare.

..and yet, we're still here!  Amazing!

32 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

On another note: Folks already struggle with  the currrent 3 tier system, expecting them to adhere to a more complicated one might be illusionary...

Satire: Assign ratings based on Maslow's Hierarchy of Human Needs!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JacksonBollock said:

The thing is that Second Life is almost by definition a de facto niche; isolated and pretty widely misunderstood by the majority of adults out there. (or actually they understand us only too well).

I don't agree that  the way to remedy that (if indeed we want to) is to say to the wider world

"you know what guys, we're leaning so far into our rep that the only way you can get our mobile app is via an android burner and an unrestricted app - don't in the name of all that's holy load us onto your main phone!!"

I'm not against sex or adult regions and I'm definitely not saying SL has to be family friendly. What we do have to be is new user friendly, and portraying ourselves as a seedy dive bar which you can only enter through the back door (so to speak) isn't great for that.

I know, I know, a lot of people in here love that idea and maybe a lot of new residents would as well - but at least let them come through the front door and grab a drink first :) 

I like this idea. The family friendly coffee shop is through the front door, but the seedy dive bar is around the back, off the alley. This way there's something for everyone!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, JacksonBollock said:

bleak one dimensional view of SL

56 minutes ago, JacksonBollock said:

lining up to get nasty

57 minutes ago, JacksonBollock said:

When did "Your World, Your Imagination" become "Your World, Your Imagination - as long as it's imagining ways to use a mouse with your non-dominant hand"?

Have you considered that you yourself might have a pretty bleak, one dimensional view of adulthood in a virtual world?

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, JacksonBollock said:

This view paints a pretty bleak one dimensional view of SL, what it is, and what it could become.

the reality, thankfully, is far more nuanced.

Social momentum, the "snowball effect" of users attracting more users, is definitely important. The idea however that Adult Content is the one and only possible sustaining force driving that momentum is a pretty parlous perspective.

When did "Your World, Your Imagination" become "Your World, Your Imagination - as long as it's imagining ways to use a mouse with your non-dominant hand"?

Even if yours was the only way forward, sorry to break it to you - no one under the age of 40 is lining up to get nasty in SL, for the simple reason that no one under the age of 40 wants to do the nasty with someone twenty years their senior (which is the assumed current SL demographic), regardless how immersive the experience.

So we best think of something else, just in case :) 

It's only two dimensional if you frame adult content to mean explicitly that.

For every person here directly engaged with adult content there are two who aren't, but the relationship between all three is what matters. Cut that relationship and you lose the single biggest human driving factor we have.

We do not have games or combat or missions and quests, our social platform is entirely built on interconnected relationships, and the heart of that is inherently adult in nature.

If SL is a broad and expansive tent, adult content and the personal relationships derived from that is the central tent pole.

• Like 2

Hey you know what I just had a great idea!

Since sex and intimacy don't matter to our virtual world, and are too risky for our mobile app overlords, why don't we just remove everyone's legs and make everyone into floating torsos, it'll be a big success! :D

• Haha 5

his view paints a pretty bleak one dimensional view of SL

Reality usually is, that's why Ivory Tower Academia Pseudo-Intellectuals hide from it in pie-in-the-sky pipe dreams of "what it could be come if blah blah blah".

and what it could become

And as if on cue...

When did "Your World, Your Imagination" become

When the people YOU would like to attract to SL. stopped HAVING an imagination.

sorry to break it to you - no one under the age of 40 is lining up to get nasty in SL, for the simple reason that no one under the age of 40 wants to do the nasty with someone twenty years their senior

See, you act like SL is some nasty dating app, instead of the pseudo-intellectual paradise, where professional charity admins can waffle at each other about the importance of Hegelian Dialectic while listening to bad jazz music, and how it can empower illiterate kids in the 3d world though the power of Liberal Arts Faculty Diplomas of Piled Higher & Deeper in Comic Book appreciation.

Problem with that "vision" is NOBODY will pay to use it, so it goes under and takes all the pseudo-intellectual pipe dreams down with it. 

So we best think of something else

Your idea of a Plan B is a non starter, straight out of the gate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Hey you know what I just had a great idea!

Since sex and intimacy don't matter to our virtual world, and are too risky for our mobile app overlords, why don't we just remove everyone's legs and make everyone into floating torsos, it'll be a big success! :D

Don't forget the actual children who got a VR baby sitting hats for xmas and have nothing to do but be tiny edgy lords.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Can we NOT go there again?  😂

Sorry! Flashbacks!!

I thought of a new one..

Satire: Ratings based on Generation!

Boomers: Asexual, Tinies, and/or Celibate.

Gen X: Adult or Bellisseria, Shopping, Creatng, Clubbing

Millennials: Hate dating or Always Dating, Shopping, Clubbing

Gen Z: Games, Skill Games, Dating, Anime 

Gen Alpha: Furries, Kids

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, JacksonBollock said:

sorry to break it to you - no one under the age of 40 is lining up to get nasty in SL, for the simple reason that no one under the age of 40 wants to do the nasty with someone twenty years their senior (which is the assumed current SL demographic), regardless how immersive the experience.

TRUTH BOMB TUESDAYS WITH JACKSONBOLLOCK

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

IDK about that.  I've had more than a few 20 and 30 somethings pretty interested after I told them I was much much older than they were.  It's definitely not just younger women who like older partners. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

IDK about that.  I've had more than a few 20 and 30 somethings pretty interested after I told them I was much much older than they were.  It's definitely not just younger women who like older partners. 

Daddies and Zaddies are popular too!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Right. I've got a younger guy friend who seems constantly horny & sad that I'm not interested anymore.  😆 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Yeah. I had a 20 year old who kept proposing nude shots that I should model for him.

I'd seen his pics. The offer was not about "photography." Or at least not the kind that gets on the SL Official Flickr page.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

If SL is a broad and expansive tent, adult content and the personal relationships derived from that is the central tent pole.

For YOU.

I know  plenty of people who just log in and decorate or tweak their avis. They don't speak to anyone. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I know  plenty of people who just log in and decorate or tweak their avis. They don't speak to anyone. 

.. and this sorry state of affairs is supposed to be some kind of rebuttal?

Second Life - Your world. Just you. Alone. *

There are other people here, tens of thousands of them, but don't worry, they wont talk to you. They don't even like you. You smell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

To the accusations that "only old people are in SL for sex", I offer my own experience: When I turned 18 and transferred from the Teen Grid to the Main Grid, one of the first things that I wanted to do was go to Gor and get nasty. 

Virtual Sex: It's Not Just For Grandpa

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

.. and this sorry state of affairs is supposed to be some kind of rebuttal?

Second Life - Your world. Just you. Alone. *

There are other people here, tens of thousands of them, but don't worry, they wont talk to you. They don't even like you. You smell.

Why not? How popular is The Sims franchise where it's YOU ALONE playing?  Why do you think that Second Life - Your World means it has to be with other people?

Do you really think popular, busy creators come on Second Life to be social

I love to decorate here. See what I can do with little prims or a whole bunch of prims. It's much more realistic than The Sims. I also like photography even though I'm not very good at it.  That also can be an "alone" activity.

Shhh..sometimes I even watch pron on my in-world TV since they blocked it in my state. That I definitely do ALONE. 

So many more examples but I'll leave you with those.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Shhh..sometimes I even watch pron on my in-world TV since they blocked it in my state. That I definitely do ALONE.

Ooooo I'm tellin !!! Lawbreaker !!!!

That's what we do round here, right ?

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Ooooo I'm tellin !!! Lawbreaker !!!!

That's what we do round here, right ?

I've filed ONE AR in the whole time I've been here and honestly it takes a lot of time. I actually wouldn't have filed it if I had known at the time how to set land permissions and block anyone from my land that didn't have PIOF.

I also don't know anyone that has ever filed an AR.

I'm sure you are being sarcastic but in case you are not. Go ahead. I have plenty of things to keep me busy besides SL. It won't be a huge loss. Oh, wait you don't have to report it because It's right here on the forum for everyone to see.  

Edited by Kathlen Onyx

7 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I like this idea. The family friendly coffee shop is through the front door, but the seedy dive bar is around the back, off the alley. This way there's something for everyone!

Exactly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

keep-telling-yourself-that-darling-capta

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Why not? How popular is The Sims franchise where it's YOU ALONE playing?  Why do you think that Second Life - Your World means it has to be with other people?

Do you really think popular, busy creators come on Second Life to be social

I love to decorate here. See what I can do with little prims or a whole bunch of prims. It's much more realistic than The Sims. I also like photography even though I'm not very good at it.  That also can be an "alone" activity.

So many more examples but I'll leave you with those.

You isn't me nor anyone else in Second Life.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

You isn't me nor anyone else in Second Life.

The way this is worded it's hard to tell what you mean, but I think you are saying I'm the only one that does things alone in Second Life?  I'm really not sure. If you could clarify that would be great.