What will 'finer-grained controls for content maturity' look like?

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So, there will be a Venn-style diagram of sex vs. violence, and we get to choose where we want to be. "I'll take consensual choking with a safe word, no marks, open-fist only."

Nope, not about kink at all!

BK, have it your way!

• Like 1

LL bending over backwards to please the app store gate keepers.

It will never be enough. Google and Apple don't just want a piece of the pie. That is not how those companies operate. They will fundamentally seek to change the character of SL to their own vision.

LL, and actually not just LL, everybody should start learning to stop relying on app stores and living in walled gardens. Phones are just pocket sized Personal Computers, why are we giving some rich folk in san fran the right to dictate what code we run on our personal devices.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I have enough trouble controlling the cam angles on my 27" monitor desktop during sex scenes.  They will need to re-write the animations for smart phones so the camera knows where to look for each pose.  Maybe Mirrors will solve this problem  Dynamic Mirrors on your smartphone - the next great SL advance.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I just think it's a big ask. After a good three or four "what is violence, really?" discussions, everyone in-world has to get onboard with moving all their stuff around. Changing sims like musical chairs n whatnot. Maybe it's easier than I'm making it out to be. Not sure.

Absolutely. But then, any change to the maturity ratings is going to involve a fair amount of churn. I don't think a lot of landowners and creators yet appreciate how much even the new guidelines for child avatars is going to involve recalibration. (In part, because a great many people are still largely oblivious to the change.)

Consider what designating some Moderate places as "mobile accessible" and "inaccessible to mobile" would involve in real terms. It's going to be a mess either way.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

cleaning up ... polishing... normal things i do when i go  sell my car... 

It could be, but it also could just be trying to keep up with a changing environment. Regardless of who owns SL, it is going to have to keep up with that environment - and the environment we currently find ourselves in is filled with a lot of rules.  Lots and lots of rules.

Snapshot_181.thumb.jpg.bb269e96e8d0982c37bc182f2a0c68c3.jpg

Lots, and lots, and lots of rules.  If it were not Apple, it would be something else.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Extrude Ragu said:

It will never be enough. Google and Apple don't just want a piece of the pie. That is not how those companies operate. They will fundamentally seek to change the character of SL to their own vision.

LL, and actually not just LL, everybody should start learning to stop relying on app stores and living in walled gardens. Phones are just pocket sized Personal Computers, why are we giving some rich folk in san fran the right to dictate what code we run on our personal devices.

Really, if so why can you still find Telegram on the Google & Apple Stores? With all the vulgarity, obscene (most polite way I could say it) and a lack of moderation, it's surprising that this platform is still offered through the platforms of Google and Apple. But then, those 2 companies only care about the cash flow that Telegram brings in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I remember Samsung once did a Linux phone - not Android, a real Linux - guess how well it sold?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Enjoy your Second Life while you still can, because this will be a sh*t show moving forward

If so, I hope we at the very least get a decent cinematic at the end

I

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Absolutely. But then, any change to the maturity ratings is going to involve a fair amount of churn. I don't think a lot of landowners and creators yet appreciate how much even the new guidelines for child avatars is going to involve recalibration. (In part, because a great many people are still largely oblivious to the change.)

Consider what designating some Moderate places as "mobile accessible" and "inaccessible to mobile" would involve in real terms. It's going to be a mess either way.

Also, who'll be doing the "designating"?

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

YES!!!!!!!!

Now is the time to split extreme violence from explicit sex!!!

Damn, Well I guess there goes my Praying Mantis, Black Widow RP.. Right out the window!! \o/

2e32ba069ad888b09743755c9b1ce313.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Enjoy your Second Life while you still can, because this will be a sh*t show moving forward

Ya, but at least we can get on our phones with it now..

It's a give and take relationship..

Ok, now  since we're here..Put your hands up and hand over you stuff.

Ok, I guess you can use one hand to hand it over.. But keep that othern reachin for the clouds!\o/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Arwyn Quandry said:

A post on the Canny Feedback site by Birdie Linden recently revealed that there's a plan to create what they described as "finer-grained controls for content maturity":

This brings up a lot of questions about what these finer-grained controls might look like and what they'd be applied to. Do you think we'll see region ratings change from simply G, M, A to something new? Changes in how Marketplace content is classified? What kinds of content do you think would warrant a differentiated rating?

If you want to talk about the mobile app losing access to adult content, there's already a thread about that here. Please keep this thread focused on the maturity rating question.

I don't think they'll mess with doing land auctions and moving people around or even mess with the ratings..

They probably found some way to use A.I. to do whatever it is that they are planning on doing or sifting through.. I think my IM history is clean enough. But then again, it's hard to remember all those conversations  in all those years.. hehehe

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

This is absolutely correct.

Also, Cory was right.

5 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't think they'll mess with doing land auctions and moving people around or even mess with the ratings..

They probably found some way to use A.I. to do whatever it is that they are planning on doing or sifting through.. I think my IM history is clean enough. But then again, it's hard to remember all those conversations  in all those years.. hehehe

smile_youre_on_camera_round_sticker-r988

14 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Unless you're one of the 4% (charitably ChromeOS takes it to 6.5%) running Linux on your personal devices, then you've been giving those rich folk pretty much carte blanche over your digital lives for about the past 30 years.

PC or Mac, Android or iPhone, either way you've been lining the pockets of the Holy Trinity far too long to be going all guerrilla freedom fighter now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You don't need to be a 'freedom fighter' to open your computers browser, go to secondlife.com and click download app for windows.

The same can be done for android, a device that probably outnumbers the human population at this point.

This whole idea that this needs to be some omega battle of epic proportions to keep Second Life as it is, is silly.

Edited by Extrude Ragu
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

You don't need to be a 'freedom fighter' to open your computers browser, go to secondlife.com and click download app for windows.

The same can be done for android, a device that probably outnumbers the human population at this point.

This whole idea that this needs to be some omega battle of epic proportions to keep Second Life as it is, is silly.

Ok, so that's fine, we just disagree where the "walled garden" begins and ends I guess.

The crux of the matter is then "to keep Second Life as it is" - is that sufficient for anyone other than an aging demographic which has found a comfy cosy corner of the internet to wait out the grim ripper?

I mean we could just cut to the chase and have the tagline go something like:

"Second Life - we'll only do enough to guarantee you die before we do"

Not great, but it's definitely got niche appeal :) 

Edited by JacksonBollock
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, JacksonBollock said:

"Second Life - we'll only do enough to guarantee you die before we do"

The majority of the world is comprised of adults. Our platform, Second Life, caters to adults. It's not some small minded niche. It's the majority of the world and it's what we are and always have been.

Trying to turn Second Life into a family friendly mobile app to please Tim Cook is precisely what's going to turn Second Life into a niche product. It's not about stopping technological change, it's about knowing what makes Second Life Second Life.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the majority of residents interested in mobile would not mind if LL said "Don't use the app store if you want an unrestricted app. Open your phones browser, go to Secondlife.com and press download and install." if in return said residents get access to all the content they're used to getting. I don't think most residents actually care if their phones app comes from Google Play or Secondlife.com. This is the sort of thing only tech giants want you to think that people care about. They don't.

Even iPhone users I think would be understanding of the need to get a burner smartphone to get a de-cucked SL in this case. Not like there aren't enough phones sitting around in peoples drawers in the world that are otherwise e-waste anyway.

46 minutes ago, JacksonBollock said:

guarantee you die before we do

Sounds pretty good to me!

BA_shupo_012.gif?ex=664a9ad5&is=66494955

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

The majority of the world is comprised of adults. Our platform, Second Life, caters to adults. It's not some small minded niche. It's the majority of the world and it's what we are and always have been.

Trying to turn Second Life into a family friendly mobile app to please Tim Cook is precisely what's going to turn Second Life into a niche product. It's not about stopping technological change, it's about knowing what makes Second Life Second Life.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the majority of residents interested in mobile would not mind if LL said "Don't use the app store if you want an unrestricted app. Open your phones browser, go to Secondlife.com and press download and install." if in return said residents get access to all the content they're used to getting. I don't think most residents actually care if their phones app comes from Google Play or Secondlife.com. This is the sort of thing only tech giants want you to think that people care about. They don't.

Even iPhone users I think would be understanding of the need to get a burner smartphone to get a de-cucked SL in this case. Not like there aren't enough phones sitting around in peoples drawers in the world that are otherwise e-waste anyway.

Sounds pretty good to me!

BA_shupo_012.gif?ex=664a9ad5&is=66494955

The thing is that Second Life is almost by definition a de facto niche; isolated and pretty widely misunderstood by the majority of adults out there. (or actually they understand us only too well).

I don't agree that  the way to remedy that (if indeed we want to) is to say to the wider world

"you know what guys, we're leaning so far into our rep that the only way you can get our mobile app is via an android burner and an unrestricted app - don't in the name of all that's holy load us onto your main phone!!"

I'm not against sex or adult regions and I'm definitely not saying SL has to be family friendly. What we do have to be is new user friendly, and portraying ourselves as a seedy dive bar which you can only enter through the back door (so to speak) isn't great for that.

I know, I know, a lot of people in here love that idea and maybe a lot of new residents would as well - but at least let them come through the front door and grab a drink first :) 

Edited by JacksonBollock
reworded a bit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

There are enough dead platforms to be able to draw some pretty stark conclusions at this point.

Make-your-own-fun social worlds live and die based on two simple points; Social momentum and adult content.

Social momentum can be explained with one very simple example. I used to use ICQ to talk to my friends. I stopped using ICQ when they did.

Social momentum will carry us a long way all by itself, but what gets that ball rolling and keeps it rolling is the availability of adult content. Take that away and the ball slows down and eventually stops, no matter how much awesome other stuff we have.

It doesn't matter if the bulk of the population aren't into adult content, in the absence of another driving factor, removing that causes momentum to fade.

VRChat and IMVU both have adult content. All other virtual worlds are dead or daycare.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

There are enough dead platforms to be able to draw some pretty stark conclusions at this point.

Make-your-own-fun social worlds live and die based on two simple points; Social momentum and adult content.

Social momentum can be explained with one very simple example. I used to use ICQ to talk to my friends. I stopped using ICQ when they did.

Social momentum will carry us a long way all by itself, but what gets that ball rolling and keeps it rolling is the availability of adult content. Take that away and the ball slows down and eventually stops, no matter how much awesome other stuff we have.

It doesn't matter if the bulk of the population aren't into adult content, in the absence of another driving factor, removing that causes momentum to fade.

VRChat and IMVU both have adult content. All other virtual worlds are dead or daycare.

This view paints a pretty bleak one dimensional view of SL, what it is, and what it could become.

the reality, thankfully, is far more nuanced.

Social momentum, the "snowball effect" of users attracting more users, is definitely important. The idea however that Adult Content is the one and only possible sustaining force driving that momentum is a pretty parlous perspective.

When did "Your World, Your Imagination" become "Your World, Your Imagination - as long as it's imagining ways to use a mouse with your non-dominant hand"?

Even if yours was the only way forward, sorry to break it to you - no one under the age of 40 is lining up to get nasty in SL, for the simple reason that no one under the age of 40 wants to do the nasty with someone twenty years their senior (which is the assumed current SL demographic), regardless how immersive the experience.

So we best think of something else, just in case :) 

Edited by JacksonBollock
removed a chunk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1