Lindens Statements from Governance Meeting

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Leslie Trihey said:

If I recall correctly they put in a "Why won't somebody pleeeeasssee think of the children?" anti naughty word system that was auto-banning people even from their own privately owned servers.

Can we report potty-mouth kids in G-rated regions?

ETA: I mean, we CAN but is that "AR-able"?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

The most concerning statement from the meeting to me was the "Proactive moderation" mentioned.

In SL up until now we've enjoyed a hands off world where LL comes to our aid if we report or raise a ticket but otherwise we are left to our own devices to sort things out amongst ourselves.

Well, how can one be "Proactive" about TOS enforcement? One would have to be actively looking for people to punish - Reading peoples private conversations, snooping on how their avatar looks, or maybe even sending lindens into peoples sims.

To me that sounds very intrusive, and a very large privacy change (ie. removal of privacy altogether) in Second Life. I don't know about others, but personally I'm not fond of the idea of living in Big Brothers house where everything you say or do is sent to an AI or a human for review.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

No, probably not but then again there are some highly motivated and angry individuals involved and as we heard in the meeting yesterday, it now involves Furries too. The included minorities is growing bigger and bigger.

Don't forget Anime too.  All those wearing those "stylized heads" must wear a modesty panel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I'm thinking more about basic examples like, 4-legged dogs or cats.

They are not "18" for roleplay purposes (unless that's what you have to say, screw immersion!), but they can say they are "adult" (presenting as 18+).

I really don't think LL is going to make ferals wear clothing, but most of them don't show genitals anyway (unless they're into mating RP?).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

The most concerning statement from the meeting to me was the "Proactive moderation" mentioned.

In SL up until now we've enjoyed a hands off world where LL comes to our aid if we report or raise a ticket but otherwise we are left to our own devices to sort things out amongst ourselves.

Well, how can one be "Proactive" about TOS enforcement? One would have to be actively looking for people to punish - Reading peoples private conversations, snooping on how their avatar looks, or maybe even sending lindens into peoples sims.

To me that sounds very intrusive, and a very large privacy change (ie. removal of privacy altogether) in Second Life. I don't know about others, but personally I'm not fond of the idea of living in Big Brothers house where everything you say or do is sent to an AI or a human for review.

Here's a "what if" scenario:

Child avatar lives peacefully on an Adult region, not bothering anyone.

LL does a scan for people using a specific brand of Child avatar body on Adult regions.

LL sends a "Notice" / "Warning" to that Child avatar user, essentially "you are not in compliance with the TOS by using that body in Adult Regions".  

Is that specific scenario so bad?

Maybe the user didn't know about the TOS rule. Maybe they think that rule isn't important. Maybe they think "nobody will be the wiser" / "nobody gets hurt by me doing it".

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I really don't think LL is going to make ferals wear clothing, but most of them don't show genitals anyway (unless they're into mating RP?).

One of favorite adult mesh feral lions has a "peepee" so he can pee on things (for whatever reason). I will have to check if that "peepee" is removable/hideable.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

We drove the early adoption of SL and its massive initial growth. We evangelized. We pivoted our entire online identities to match our SL names. We brought everyone we knew here and more besides.

We felt involved with the leadership, direction and vision for the platform. They were on the ground with us.

We don't do those things anymore.

OT I guess, but I have used my SL name for all my internet interactions for years, including my personal email. That name is consistent across my whole internet presence. The reason I use it is not because of SL, but because I love the name; in fact, I started a new account a few years ago (my original account was Caerolle Llewellyn) just so my account name would be Caerolle Claudel (Claudel is in honor of Camille Claudel). At great expense. However, I like that I can have the name I want as my sole identity here.

FWIW

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

If you use Alexa, it's monitored by someone. I don't care whether they say it isn't but I wouldn't go around threatening government  officials or asking google how to strangle your spouse on it.

Every.single.IM or communication in a work environment is monitored.

ALL your email is monitored.

If you have Onstar it is being monitored.

Your IM's and chat logs can be monitored.  I have chatlogs saved of every single conversation I've had with anyone in IM since I began.  I didn't even proactively ask for that. The viewer setting automatically does it.  

Perhaps all these things are not reviewed on a daily basis but believe me if you commit a crime someone can and will be able to pull all this information up about you. Perhaps not easily and they may need a court order but it can and WILL be done.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm really not up on my furry avatars, so I don't know . . . I know that anthropomorphic furries have attachments and such, and can be VERY "Adult" indeed -- but how prominent are the genitals on most feral furries?

Do we need to put little baked-in "X"s on all those kitty butts?

(I'm sure you're fine as long as you don't wave those spores around too prominently.)

'SL: The X'd Out Butthole Version' (take off on 'Cats: The Butthole Version')

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes, it is. That's the point. There was at least one child avatar at the meeting who was upset that being banned from Adult regions meant no longer being able to join in combat RP. They wanted the rules for Moderate regions changed so that "extreme violence" -- and combat RP -- was permissible there.

It's not going to happen. It was just a really stupid ask, which is why I commented on it.

Wow, kids and violent combat. Now if they just wear exposed genitals they can hit the trifecta. ~

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I was actually wondering what exactly that meant, myself. 

It could be as simple as going to communities directly and chatting. Somehow trying to educate before people get in trouble. I still wonder how many don't have a clue about these new rules. One club I go to.. an adult one.. the owners didn't have a clue. Of course they already banned child avies  but I was still surprised.

Edited by Chery Amore
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Our bard, Philip has moved on and is an impossible act to follow. Patch is a glass canon, Grumpity weaves spells in secret. We need a tank and a paladin front and center, and for grids sake don't forget a healer.

This is an interesting point. I remember in previous SL birthdays that Patch seemed to be peoples go-to popular Linden. Indeed I have both of his bears. But of course, after you know what happened things are different.

SL does right now have some very good engineers, but a main public face who evangelises the platform not so much anymore.

I do not mean to be doom and gloom. Things can always get better, and I hope they do. We're sitting on a lot of potential, but people won't bring their friends into this platform unless they are confident.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chery Amore said:

It could be as simple as going to communities directly and chatting. Somehow trying to educate before people get in trouble. I still wonder how many don't have a clue about these new rules. One club I go to.. and adult one.. the owners didn't have a clue. Of course they already banned child avies  but I was still surprised.

I'm not so sure. In the meeting, they said they're "in the process now of evaluating several different products and systems to help with proactive moderation." 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Madi Melodious said:

I thought that was a joke.  Did that really happen?   I'm afraid to look it up because of what I might find.  

Ugh, not the school litter boxes again! Despite what you might have heard, this rumor has been thoroughly debunked by multiple reliable sources, including school officials and experts. Always fact-check before sharing information. The claim that students are using litter boxes provided by schools is baseless and potentially harmful. It’s important to avoid perpetuating misinformation, especially when certain political types latch onto such topics. My friend even mentioned that their coworkers were ranting about this recently. Litterboxes in schools for "furries" or anyone else is not.a.thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I hope that doesn’t include making fun of LL in the forums 😖

I've got a friend that complains a lot ... lol.. I ask him if he's banned yet or say we'll it's been nice knowing you!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MinkBlueleaf Fyrewik said:

Ugh, not the school litter boxes again! Despite what you might have heard, this rumor has been thoroughly debunked by multiple reliable sources, including school officials and experts. Always fact-check before sharing information. The claim that students are using litter boxes provided by schools is baseless and potentially harmful. It’s important to avoid perpetuating misinformation, especially when certain political types latch onto such topics. My friend even mentioned that their coworkers were ranting about this recently. Litterboxes in schools for "furries" or anyone else is not.a.thing.

It's been my observation over the last few years that if Fact checking sites get involved, there is an element of truth to the stories and they are trying to downplay it as best they can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'll have it known that I haven't been insulting people nearly as much as I want to after reading their posts, and it's been going on for days, and I feel I should get JUST. A. LITTLE appreciation for that.

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

If you use Alexa, it's monitored by someone. I don't care whether they say it isn't but I wouldn't go around threatening government  officials or asking google how to strangle your spouse on it.

Every.single.IM or communication in a work environment is monitored.

ALL your email is monitored.

If you have Onstar it is being monitored.

In SL, a large portion of the player base come to their 'home' to 'relax'. Although I appreciate what you are trying to say, having a policy where you leave people alone in their own residence, and a policy where you actively monitor people in their residence, represents a sharp change in SL policy that is likely to make users feel unable to put their gaurd down in their home.

None of the Second Life residents care that you own an Alexa, or consider it relevant. They will care if LL respects their privacy in the land they pay for.

This on a platform that makes most of its money off private land ownership sounds pretty disasterous to me. But go on, please tell me how people don't need or want privacy in their own homes :)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

I'll have it known that I haven't been insulting people nearly as much as I want to after reading their posts, and it's been going on for days, and I feel I should get JUST. A. LITTLE appreciation for that.

Thank you.

Maybe we could have a no-holds barred, Battle Royale-style insult-a-thon?  "Your mother liked it when we did that before."

• Haha 2