So what changed in the Terms of Service?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Leslie Trihey said:

Exactly, however some people want to blanket ban child avatars from moderate regions. And that is, to me, insane.

Not me! I'm just saying, "ignore public nudity" on Moderate land. Basically, get over it - it's allowed in the TOS (unless it changes, we are misinterpreting it, etc.).

ETA: When I suggested "restrict child avatars to G land", it was as an alternative argument to giving up "rights" on Moderate land. 🙂

Edited by Love Zhaoying

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

There was enough there that sounded potentially plausible that my personal thoughts are that there were elements of truth to it. Following from it there might have been justifications for what happened to being blamed on temptations for certain adults to be attracted to younger appearing residents, especially the femboys, that LL in its wisdom decided that the best course of action was to as much as possible, remove the temptations from sight or ban those altogether.

It is like the alcoholic who by hiding all the booze, hopes to be able to quit. It very rarely works.

The very fact that it was posted, left up for a little bit and then randomly taken down after it got people to read it, does not sit right with me. And it did not show enough evidence of foul play from the alleged situation that made anyone look guilty. However, the punishment is weird to be put out, if nothing happen BUT you have to remember, there was an angry mob and people who were hunting child avatars.

I think second life did something because those people were up in arms and I think that their lawyers thought it be good idea to make sure things like this don't happen again, so they're putting a lid on it.

1 minute ago, Chery Amore said:

If I decide to do it I'll send you and IM

Do it for a week, things you don't even think of as things now will become things. It might be eye opening for you to see how people treat child avatars in SL. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

Well maybe you should lose that right since some of us have lost the "right" to go to adult land.

No, because:

3 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

Not that it was a smart or desirable right to exercise but before the tos change we did have that right.  

That's a specious argument. 🙂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

Well maybe you should lose that right since some of us have lost the "right" to go to adult land.  Not that it was a smart or desirable right to exercise but before the tos change we did have that right.  

You haven't lost the "right" to anything. Just look different.  I mean if I went into an adoption agency wearing a tiny string bikini I'm pretty sure I'd be told to go change. In FACT there is an adoption agency that if you have ANYTHING adult in your profile you can't even go there and risk getting banned from that region. How is THAT fair?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Chery Amore said:

Yeah for me I have a feeling it wouldn't be. Although I do have some empathy for loss of inventory for those facing it. I kind of want to see how hard it would be to navigate general and moderate land with that mindset though.

The issue as I experienced it was based on how immersed one becomes in being that child, especially submissiveness to a parent or other authoritarian figure, especially if one tends to submissiveness naturally. Then when an authority figure has one sitting on their knee and trouble starts to take place and the "child" who is still immersed starts to be abused but goes along with it, just like in RL. Those who don't get very immersed don't understand this and thinks one should be able to just TP away but it is really not that easy and has nothing to do with whether one wanted this to begin with.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

It's as hard as changing into another avatar when you want to access content unable to be accessed by a child avatar. No one is taking anything away from you. They are just taking it away from a persona that isn't REAL. You can still access anything including A rated land.  You just have to look different.

I do understand not being able to change a persona at the drop of a hat.  Like Chery is Chery only in world.. It helps me to use another avatar.. like if I want to be serious in world.  Maybe @brodiac90could make an adult account to see thing differently though and access those areas if he can't otherwise.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Not me! I'm just saying, "ignore public nudity" on Moderate land. Basically, get over it - it's allowed in the TOS (unless it changes, we are misinterpreting it, etc.).

ETA: When I suggested "restrict child avatars to G land", it was as an alternative argument to giving up "rights" on Moderate land. 🙂

Fair.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Silverdown Seetan said:

My only question is did the individuals employee's/contactors who caused this entire ripple effect get punished for actions?
The fact there had to be an internal investigation just proves there might be some leigitmacy to the of the employees and contactors accusations along with the need to change policy for child avatars.
Are they still employeed by Linden Labs? If yes, that is wrong because the child avatar community is in fear of getting banned over a layer that does nothing but yet the employee or contractor of Linden Labs get to prance around Second Life still and get paid to do it after causing all this.

Adult or child avatar we pays money to have enjoyment in this platform and if any resident (non-employee or no-contactor of Linden labs) would have done such act that would have had the account or accounts terminated fast. 

Those who claim "no one knows" are false. LL will not publicize any actions they take.  But there are more residents in SL then there are Lindens, and some have been here from the beginning.  It's possible some of those might just have a small inkling of what happened. :)

Did any employees get punished?  The answer is yes and no.

Are they still employed by Linden Lab.  The answer is yes, and maybe. 

When you make the rules, you sometimes feel you are exempt - just look at RL politicians.

Here's what I have concluded from the "what is a child" debate.  You are not a child avatar if you add a tail or ears.  That's it!  If you want to play a sexy teenager, just add a tail and ears, and you are no longer a child avatar.

LL even says, if you are worried about using your child avatar (less than 18 appearance), in an M-rated store with adult items, just wear an animal avatar.  An animal is defined as anything non-human.  Neko ears and a tail for instance.  This should do wonders for the furry and non hairy "animal" community.  This could be the reason the investigation found no TOS rules were broken by LL employees.  They do not apply to animal like avatars, only humanoids.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Leslie Trihey said:
5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Fair.

Yay, a reasonable person!  We can all "agree to disagree" and have different opinions and points of view.

* seeks another to convert to being "reasonable" *

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The issue as I experienced it was based on how immersed one becomes in being that child, especially submissiveness to a parent or other authoritarian figure, especially if one tends to submissiveness naturally. Then when an authority figure has one sitting on their knee and trouble starts to take place and the "child" who is still immersed starts to be abused but goes along with it, just like in RL. Those who don't get very immersed don't understand this and thinks one should be able to just TP away but it is really not that easy and has nothing to do with whether one wanted this to begin with.

I actually do get immersed. But I do always have the real me watching in the background I know when a situation is not right at this point.  I can empathize for those that fully immerse but you are still responsible in the long run for yourself and your action.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

That's your impression ... and also no different from saying "she's asking for it".

Then who IS running the child part of the couple engaging in AP?  It takes 2.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

You haven't lost the "right" to anything. Just look different.  I mean if I went into an adoption agency wearing a tiny string bikini I'm pretty sure I'd be told to go change. In FACT there is an adoption agency that if you have ANYTHING adult in your profile you can't even go there and risk getting banned from that region. How is THAT fair?

I don't think changing clothing is a fair comparison to someones avatar that they poured an entire personality into.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:

Exactly, however some people want to blanket ban child avatars from moderate regions. And that is, to me, insane.

image.gif

It they did that then it wouldn't be a good thing for Linden Lab, because then child avatars would feel too restricted, and potential newcomers looking to make a family, build a family rp, have a wholesome environment, people who can't have children irl and want to have a chance, they will feel it is too restrictive.

Think of M-rating in real life. M rating is for 15 and up, however, it is not illegal for a child to watch something M rated or play a Game that is M rated, as long as their parent and or guardian is okay with it.

If you allow your child to watch PG-13 movies then they are watching Mature rated stuff.

Second life is following this principle and treated Adult areas exactly like Adult areas as if it was P*rn, even if it isn't all p*rn. And that is why The are most likely banned from Adult sims, as a whole.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Chery Amore said:

I actually do get immersed. But I do always have the real me watching in the background I know when a situation is not right at this point.  I can empathize for those that fully immerse but you are still responsible in the long run for yourself and your action.

yes, sounds good. Now go try it and tell me again in a few weeks.:)

6 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

I mean that is their region, and they can choose whether or not they want adult material or even adults wearing next to no clothes. I mean, do I think they need to separate both virtual and reality. But that is for another conversation. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chery Amore said:

I do understand not being able to change a persona at the drop of a hat.  Like Chery is Chery only in world.. It helps me to use another avatar.. like if I want to be serious in world.  Maybe @brodiac90could make an adult account to see thing differently though and access those areas if he can't otherwise.

It could be a TV show - the other side lol. 

27 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Any idea where that option is? It would make sl so much nicer, and stop giving me nightmares 😁

Under preferences, general, rendering, i have "show avatars that haven't finished loading" unchecked, but I still see nasty misshapen system avis that don't have their mesh bodies loaded yet

I have a time delay for pre-caching set too, but maybe my connection is just too fast I've never noticed anything crazy

3 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Those who claim "no one knows" are false. LL will not publicize any actions they take.  But there are more residents in SL then there are Lindens, and some have been here from the beginning.  It's possible some of those might just have a small inkling of what happened. :)

Did any employees get punished?  The answer is yes and no.

Are they still employed by Linden Lab.  The answer is yes, no, and maybe. 

When you make the rules, you sometimes feel you are exempt - just look at RL politicians.

Here's what I have concluded from the "what is a child" debate.  You are not a child avatar if you add a tail or ears.  That's it!  If you want to play a sexy teenager, just add a tail and ears, and you are no longer a child avatar.

LL even says, if you are worried about using your child avatar (less than 18 appearance), in an M-rated store with adult items, just wear an animal avatar.  An animal is defined as anything non-human.  Neko ears and a tail for instance.  This should do wonders for the furry and non hairy "animal" community.  This could be the reason the investigation found no TOS rules were broken by LL employees.  They do not apply to animal like avatars, only humanoids.

So under this logic my current avatar I can add a tail and ears to my tweeneedo child body , call my self a cub and be exempt from the new rules?  I feel that would make me more likely to be targeted by a person with a weird mind seeing alot of adults use tails and ears. 

• Like 1