Fruit Islands

I've noticed a trend there (and other places in SL too frankly) where more rentals becomes available as the weather in the northern hemisphere become more agreeable. So i'm guessing that maybe some people spend more time in SL during their RL winter where maybe they don't get as much chance to be doing things outdoors.

• Like 4

The Fruit Islands used to be one of the larger sailing and flying areas in SL. With the introduction of Bellisseria more and more of SL is connected. I can fly and sail further in the main areas of SL.

The Topless Cruse people often held their events in Eden and Fruit Islands. Not so much any more. I think that is because there are now so many interesting places to sail in the rest of SL the islands are being ignored.

Driving between islands is difficult. 🙄 So driving is a thing only in the main areas of SL.

Also, I have found the owner of the Fruit Islands a bit abrasive.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tony Giffen said:

Wow.. Just popped over to Fruit Islands and 60% of the properties are for rent.   I used to love living there,  What happened?

I'm convinced that Bellisseria is now larger in square meters than resident-owned Mainland, i.e. excluding abandoned, Linden roads and parks.

Claire, the Supreme Map Maven of SL, says not, and she should know as she studies all this intensively, I'm merely eyeballing it.

I have tenants who have both Bellisseria and Mainland homes, and I even have made areas for "distressed gentry" saying "in between Belli homes?" lol.

But my sense is that some people especially who log in less are moving permanently to the burbs.

Also: homesteads. Many have opted to get a whole homestead which you can do now without being forced to buy an island.

If Fruit is more than  half vacant, that's bad news indeed, along with the LindEx permanently at 247 or worse for fast cashouts.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2

The Fruit Islands have looked worryingly empty for many years now. You do pay a premium to live there and the fact they are still going would appear to indicate they can cover a vacancy rate that looks to be around a 50% margin. I would not worry about an imminent crash, but I wouldn't put down more than a month's rent at a time either.

• Like 3

Back when the Blake Sea was made and United Sailing Sims joined to mainland, I recall seeing the Fruit Islands owners unhappy they had not had same opportunity.

There is now a process to join to mainland and a number of sailing estates have gone down that route.

The Fruit Islands have adult land which makes it impossible for linking to standard mainland. But I can't help wondering if they wanted and Linden Lab were open to it whether they would consider a move and link to Zindra would be possible. It would make their rentals much more attractive and would be a fun addition to Zindra.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 3

I currently live in Balboa estates which is in the United Saling Sims.  Was just looking around because I was missing a pure sand terrain.   Nothing like that available in USS, so I guess I will stay put.  Thanks for your feedback.

18 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I'm convinced that Bellisseria is now larger in square meters than resident-owned Mainland, i.e. excluding abandoned, Linden roads and parks.

Claire, the Supreme Map Maven of SL, says not, and she should know as she studies all this intensively, I'm merely eyeballing it.

I have tenants who have both Bellisseria and Mainland homes, and I even have made areas for "distressed gentry" saying "in between Belli homes?" lol.

But my sense is that some people especially who log in less are moving permanently to the burbs.

Also: homesteads. Many have opted to get a whole homestead which you can do now without being forced to buy an island.

If Fruit is more than  half vacant, that's bad news indeed, along with the LindEx permanently at 247 or worse for fast cashouts.

I'm also certain that a lot of mainland is de-facto abandoned and just not yet reclaimed by Governor Linden. I had a neighbour in Metis who owned 16km2 of the region on the mountain side, who I am sure left SL over 10 years ago. It was only in the last few years that the land finally returned to abandoned and then was swooped by the usual cutters. Until that time, his majestic mountain of rock spheres persisted long after he left, still set to his group, with (I can only guess, but I'm sure) nobody paying tier on it.

27 minutes ago, Yorkie Bardeen said:

abandoned and just not yet reclaimed by Governor Linden.

all abandoned land is automaticle owned by GL .. Owned land that gets payments, no matter how long the owner isn't been here, stays in users ownership.
After stopping payments LL will reclaim it sooner or later. 

The most interesting pieces go on auction faster as land in the middle of a region without water or roads.

Also... there are still quite some parcels owned under the 'first land" program. Some of those owners didn't come online for 20 years... but if not sold or abandoned, LL can't claim those.

• Like 1

A few years back they absorbed the nearby 'Eden' "naturist" estate. That was a 'human only' nudist area. When Fruit got it I noticed all the Eden covenant rules vanished.

By contrast Fruit always had a no public nudity rule.

I'd suspect people on both sides of that merger were not happy with the changes. A mix of incompatible expectations.

I couldn't figure out from looking at the covenants which side had the won out for the rules of what was now acceptable, nor could I even find an "office" to drop a notecard to ask. So I moved on. Perhaps I wasn't alone in that.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

@Love Zhaoying 

Naked seems to do ok (11 regions I think), though they do allow non-human ears and tails. They rent mostly boat slips for those who like nude sailing. 

In my normal / usual Neko form, I'd "pass" as hoo-mon to the uninitiated. Just with ears, tail, whiskers, and fangs.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

all abandoned land is automaticle owned by GL .. Owned land that gets payments, no matter how long the owner isn't been here, stays in users ownership.
After stopping payments LL will reclaim it sooner or later. 

The most interesting pieces go on auction faster as land in the middle of a region without water or roads.

Also... there are still quite some parcels owned under the 'first land" program. Some of those owners didn't come online for 20 years... but if not sold or abandoned, LL can't claim those.

I said de-facto abandoned, meaning delinquent with nobody paying the tier on it, and I'm absolutely convinced the mainland is full of such parcels. You said yourself "sooner or later" and in my view it's usually later by years.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Yorkie Bardeen said:

I said de-facto abandoned, meaning delinquent with nobody paying the tier on it, and I'm absolutely convinced the mainland is full of such parcels. You said yourself "sooner or later" and in my view it's usually later by years.

abandoned land = GL owned. you or any other person can néver know if there's no payment for parcels that seem to be empty.
That you are "convinced" lacks factual proof.

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

abandoned land = GL owned. you or any other person can néver know if there's no payment for parcels that seem to be empty.
That you are "convinced" lacks factual proof.

I don't care, I'm not pleading it in court. I know what I see for over six years of absenteeism with a direct neighbour and friend. Which is why I was careful to add words to contextualise my opinion that you seemed utterly unable to read in your rush to mansplain abandoned land.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Yorkie Bardeen said:

Where the land is that someone stops paying for matters.

In recent years, they've become more aggressive about reclaiming and auctioning off "deadbeat" parcels in the remaining parts of mainland that still have avatars present most of the time. Land also tends to sell for more in these regions.

Edited by Diablo Lioncourt
  • Thanks 1