Coming to Accept "Different" people in Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In honor of my 58th RL birthday tomorrow, I thought of a worthy topic.

In SL - and the Forums - I've often encountered people who by their conversational style, focus, personal approach, beliefs, positions, etc. who I would prefer to not deal with.

It doesn't usually occur to me that these people are "just different".

In RL, I'd probably not encounter them, or successfully avoid them; thus missing out on all the possible positive outcomes of knowing and interacting with them.

In SL, they of course bring their "whole selves", and perhaps that "difference" is masked; when eventually you interact with them there may be a moment in which you feel uncomfortable with a statement or question - and suddenly realize they aren't like "you".

There can, at least with me, be a reaction to ignore, block, or actually ask "WTH is wrong with you"? That's no way to be, if indeed another person is just being themselves.

I guess the point I am making for discussion is, perhaps I am learning to accept "different" people in SL as just that. Do you have any advice or anecdotes for accepting people who are "different" in Second Life?

Note: THIS IS NOT ABOUT NEURODIVEGENT PEOPLE. IT IS ABOUT "DIFFERENT" PEOPLE IN MANY AND ALL WAYS.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In SL - and the Forums - I've often encountered people who by their conversational style, focus, personal approach, beliefs, positions, etc. who I would prefer to not deal with.

In RL, I'd probably not encounter them, or successfully avoid them; thus missing out on all the possible positive outcomes of knowing and interacting with them.

In SL, they of course bring their "whole selves", and perhaps that "difference" is masked; when eventually you interact with them there may be a moment in which you feel uncomfortable with a statement or question - and suddenly realize they aren't like "you".

There can, at least with me, to ignore, block, or actually ask "WTH is wrong with you"? That's no way to be, if indeed another person is just being themselves.

I guess the point I am making for discussion is, perhaps I am learning to accept "different" people in SL as just that. Do you have any advice or anecdotes for accepting people who are "different" in Second Life?

Note: THIS IS NOT ABOUT NEURODIVEGENT PEOPLE. IT IS ABOUT "DIFFERENT" PEOPLE IN MANY AND ALL WAYS.

I pray frequently.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There can, at least with me, be a reaction to ignore, block, or actually ask "WTH is wrong with you"? That's no way to be, if indeed another person is just being themselves.

You can accept that they are different but if that difference is something that bothers you, you are allowed to avoid them.  You know I do.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I might not be understanding, so I'll give it try anyways.. hehehe

I don't really worry about someones beliefs and things like that in here or in world, unless they are pushing them on me.. I'll chat with anyone in world or reply to anyone in here..

I'll talk to  people while we're waiting in line at a gas station at the drop of the hat in RL.. Just because it's too quiet.. i think that kind of throws people off some, at times, but I can't help it.. hehehe

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Happy birthday :D

As to how to accept different people, I dunno.  I usually just unleash a zombie virus, and it tends to sort itself out.  The ones that do not turn, fight one another over the resources left.  Alternatively, I have been amassing a bot army that uses AI, I plan to drown them all out with generic "As an AI chat bot, I don't really have .. blah blah blah" 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"WTH is wrong with you"?

I say this to myself all the time. 

I usually enjoy meeting people different than myself.  It is why I logged in to SL to begin with.  I do, however, have a limit and boundaries, so I will just leave a conversation if it goes in a direction that is pointless.  It is rare, but I also pre-emptively block people after reading their profiles.  It's never permanent, though, since I unblock everyone every couple months and start my block list over again.  Sometimes I just can't be bothered to be tactful and sensitive in the face of some pretty disgusting beliefs even it those beliefs are just roleplay for effect.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

1. I agree that getting extremely upset because someone is not "just like me" doesn't exhibit a sound ethical stance.

2. However we all have our ethics, even if not consciously known (a determination of what is right or wrong).

I do try to distinguish between the two when I find myself feeling nonacceptance of another so that I don't react from the number 1 stance.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Confused 1

Left out of my "Cliff's Notes" OP: 

Sometimes for me, it's about realizing that the other isn't necessarily "bad", dumb, or evil..just different.

Yes, I still may want to block them or TP away, but it will be nice one day when I first remember "they are just different" - so that even if I react the same, there's a little less karmic impact later on. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Left out of my "Cliff's Notes" OP: 

Sometimes for me, it's about realizing that the other isn't necessarily "bad", dumb, or evil..just different.

Yes, I still may want to block them or TP away, but it will be nice one day when I first remember "they are just different" - so that even if I react the same, there's a little less karmic impact later on. 

Love, you still have me blocked so I can't apologize 🙄. I find telling someone they are being unpleasant is better than just blocking, because it doesn't give them a chance to self reflect and change. Oh well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

Love, you still have me blocked so I can't apologize 🙄. I find telling someone they are being unpleasant is better than just blocking, because it doesn't give them a chance to self reflect and change. Oh well. 

Someone has YOU blocked?  Awwww ❤💋

(Quoted so Love will read your post)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Someone has YOU blocked?  Awwww ❤💋

(Quoted so Love will read your post)

I've been reading their posts and leaving "thanks" responses. This thread really isn't anything to do with RobberInTheMuseum. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Robber what did you DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;0

I'm afraid to say, he'll have me reported for harassment. I should shut up now. 

LOVE IS THE MOST SPARKLING LITTLE NIBBLEHEAD WHO EVER EXISTED ON THE FORUM ️ 

Edited by Robberinthemuseum
Spelling 😅
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Ok, some food for thought, grist for the mill: does anyone else have stories of people in SL they couldn't understand, and came to accept overtime, realizing they were "different" (whether you put up with them any more or less)?

• Like 2

I am me.  Everyone else is different, by definition. If I tried hard, I could probably find something about any of them that annoys me.  I rarely try, though. The people whose friendships I value most highly are all "different", and we've tolerated our differences for 17 years.

In rare extreme situations when I find "different" behavior hard to accept, I try to remember the wise words of a long-deceased mentor: "Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get muddy and the pig enjoys it."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Do you have any advice or anecdotes for accepting people who are "different" in Second Life?

I think it's admirable that you want to accept people more who are different from yourself.

Sometimes though, people we most have trouble accepting are those who remind us of something we don't like in ourselves.

So awareness is key -- thinking about why we're not accepting another.   Once we know if the nonacceptance is there because we're similar, and that it's something we need to understand within ourselves, the acceptance flows from that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I am me.  Everyone else is different, by definition. If I tried hard, I could probably find something about any of them that annoys me.  I rarely try, though. The people whose friendships I value most highly are all "different", and we've tolerated our differences for 17 years.

In rare extreme situations when I find "different" behavior hard to accept, I try to remember the wise words of a long-deceased mentor: "Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get muddy and the pig enjoys it."

Your ability to accept those "different" friends, highlights the positive for certain! I often forget how each of my SL family members was different - but to me only one was "different" in the way I meant; probably they all found me "different" in that annoying way, and were kind enough anyway!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.