Second Life Product / Business Ideas for Generation Alpha

I think that if we embrace the newest generation in Second Life, everybody wins! What are some ideas for Second Life businesses or products that may appeal to our youngest? (When they are old enough for Second Life, of course.)

Here's some ideas to get started: 

- "Mewing" gestures 

- Body modifications 

- Earbuds

- Alternatives to ever, ever, using voice (voice-to-text so they can read voice convos)

- Affordable SL housing

..etc.

Generation Alpha: (I didn't know it had a name)- "Generation Alpha are the people born between 2010 to 2024" https://thefamilynation.com/generation-alpha

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well, if generation alpha is from 2010 onwards, there's no generation alpha that should be in SL for another 4 years. And it's not as if we already have all of that ..

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Well, if generation alpha is from 2010 onwards, there's no generation alpha that should be in SL for another 4 years. And it's not as if we already have all of that ..

We should be ready when they get here!

Another idea: all avatars should come with a smartphone by default. Not having one is unrealistic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Don't worry, based on RL, I don't think they'll have any expectations about that! :/

Then maybe more homes with basements for them to live in?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

As someone from Gen Z myself and who has 3 siblings in Gen A, I sometimes play Roblox, Minecraft, etc. with them, but find myself ultimately returning to SL way more because of its creative, social, and technical capabilities. It is truly like nothing else.

I believe some in Gen Alpha are like me, who grew up being able to access technology and found themselves immediately joining virtual worlds. If they aspire to those kinds of environments, some will simply find the "limitations"  of how "easy" the UI is, settings, etc. of games like Roblox and Minecraft to be all they want, while others are like me in that they wanted something more to accomplish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Constance Finchy said:

As someone from Gen Z myself and who has 3 siblings in Gen A, I sometimes play Roblox, Minecraft, etc. with them, but find myself ultimately returning to SL way more because of its creative, social, and technical capabilities. It is truly like nothing else.

I believe some in Gen Alpha are like me, who grew up being able to access technology and found themselves immediately joining virtual worlds. If they aspire to those kinds of environments, some will simply find the "limitations"  of how "easy" the UI is, settings, etc. of games like Roblox and Minecraft to be all they want, while others are like me in that they wanted something more to accomplish.

There ya go, for some SL will be a much-welcomed challenge!

• Like 2

That's the Minecraft, Roblox, Valorant, and Fortnite gaming and social media content binging generation. They're pretty big on TikTok, Twitch, and YouTube - the type to be following all the big names like Dream, Tommy, Tubbo, Mr. Beast, NickEh30, xQc, Kai Cenat, etc. (and probably just a smidge too young to be watching guys like Asmongold, but right behind his older teen+ demographic, so there's probably a bit of overflow there). Likely binging e-sports, too, and following a bunch of competitive gamers/streamers who do tournaments and championships. Multi-platform gaming is their jam (split mostly between mobile/tablet and console, with fewer on PC) and they're very high-tech. The older ones are very tuned in to current/world events, socially conscious and vocal about it all, and terminally online.

Long story short - They probably wouldn't be coming here. Edit: Not unless SL moves to console and/or one of their favorite streamers happens to pick it up.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Long story short - They probably wouldn't be coming here.

Although tongue in cheek, that's the point of my OP. How can we change it so they WILL be coming here? We has Mobile and teh saxx.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Although tongue in cheek, that's the point of my OP. How can we change it so they WILL be coming here? We has Mobile and teh saxx.

They're like 12. SL will be even more ancient by the time they'd hear of it.

Unless SL gets a bunch of shiny new tech, releases on PS5 or Xbox (or whatever's out in the next 5+ years), and gains a massive influx of users in their age range to play with, I can't see them getting interested in it in the future. These kids are way ahead of the game already (some are even content creators and doing the competitive tournament grind themselves) and they're used to playing very modern, fast-paced games across several genres.

I see these kids online every day. They're a witty and smart bunch and know their way around tech, but Second Life just isn't their speed. Doubt there's much LL could do short of topping Fortnite Creative Mode or somethin'.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

All avatars will be on a smartphone by then I guess.

Given the progress of AI, all avatars will likely actually BE smart phones by then.

Who needs "people"?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Are you sure the mobile viewer will be finished by then?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

They're like 12. SL will be even more ancient by the time they'd hear of it.

Unless SL gets a bunch of shiny new tech, releases on PS5 or Xbox (or whatever's out in the next 5+ years), and gains a massive influx of users in their age range to play with, I can't see them getting interested in it in the future. These kids are way ahead of the game already (some are even content creators and doing the competitive tournament grind themselves) and they're used to playing very modern, fast-paced games across several genres.

I see these kids online every day. They're a witty and smart bunch and know their way around tech, but Second Life just isn't their speed. Doubt there's much LL could do short of topping Fortnite Creative Mode or somethin'.

* tattoos "unwelcoming to Gen-A" on your forehead * 

Next!

17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Given the progress of AI, all avatars will likely actually BE smart phones by then.

Who needs "people"?

Good point, All mains=>Alts=>Bots=>AI's

ooh! We will be The Sims, SL Version!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

since by then SL will be too complicated for us

It's apparently already too complicated for them, and not us, from what others are saying.  We need to dumb it down if we want to attract new users!   Us "oldbies" seem to do.just fine with every new fangled thing LL throws at us.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's apparently already too complicated for them, and not us, from what others are saying.  We need to dumb it down if we want to attract new users!   Us "oldbies" seem to do.just fine with every new fangled thing LL throws at us.

Idea: "Starter SL", from 2004!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Honestly it took two separate experiences on SL to get me to "stay." It's not complicated you just have to want to play. Also "oldbies" willing to teach the new generation what we know.  I'm excited to get my little sister into it as she's literally so creative already in Roblox with her Bloxburg/Highschool RP. She'd be a force to be reckoned with once she breaks through SL.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think that if we embrace the newest generation in Second Life, everybody wins!...

in about 10-15 years a large part of Gen X will have less representation in SL, they can start in their LH and mainland parcels.

and i didn't see the doomsday prophets yet, but the chance the sky falls is rising with every year we'r around here and think the chance is at least 70/30 before the next 15 yrs are behind us.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

and i didn't see the doomsday prophets yet,

That would be you this time:

22 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

but the chance the sky falls is rising with every year we'r around here and think the chance is at least 70/30 before the next 15 yrs are behind us.

• Like 1