why having or beeing an alt is consider bad?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 99 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Very good post.

It makes perfect sense that a person's 'main' is the one that s/he mainly uses, regardless of when it was created compared to others. There is no sense in which the word 'main' can be used to mean the first account.

I think you have illustrated well what I meant by my answer "yes".  IMO, the "main" is whatever the avatar user says it is. One year you may decide to mostly use what was previously your "alt".  If you tell everyone that is now your "main", no matter what they think, it's what "you" think that matters since it is "your" avatar. (Regardless even if you use the "main" more or less than another, they are all "your" avatars, so "you" get to say which is your "main".)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

how to you know what is a main and an alt.  Is it the age (the main is older) is it the time you use. The main is used 2 hours a day the alt 1 hour ?

What happend if you use one avare 2 hours one day and 1 hour the next day who is the main who is the alt ?

I agree with Phil. The main avatar is the one a person mainly uses, though it could also be the one a person identifies with most as being themself. I usually call my main avatar my "primary avatar", which also implies by connotation that it's the first avatar I created. 

Tasha was the 2nd avatar I created, but I don't use her as often as Alycia or spend nearly as much money on her, so I think it could be confusing to call either of these my secondary avatar. They're both alternates to my primary avatar, but I refer to Alycia as my favorite alt.

• Like 2

no no, no alts please, keeping one inventory in a more or less easy working order is max for me.

pst i am that fool that takes pics of all my dresses in a pc database haha, pfew, what a work, but oh wow what benefits also.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

There is no sense in which the word 'main' can be used to mean the first account.

Huh. And yet for years (in the earlier days) that is precisely what was meant by main account because it was the first account. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think you have illustrated well what I meant by my answer "yes".  IMO, the "main" is whatever the avatar user says it is. One year you may decide to mostly use what was previously your "alt".  If you tell everyone that is now your "main", no matter what they think, it's what "you" think that matters since it is "your" avatar. (Regardless even if you use the "main" more or less than another, they are all "your" avatars, so "you" get to say which is your "main".)

My current main is my former alt. My current alt is my former main, who is 99% inactive, because my SL changed, and I ended up having more reason to develop my get-away-and-build account, and not so much reason to use my other.

I ended up being more active in the places where everyone knew my builder account, basically.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2024 at 2:46 PM, Gabriel Isodo said:

I don't understand why on second life beeing an alt is something considered bad. We can have 2 3 or 10 accounts. What is the problem?

Long and short is that some believe that noone but the main account holder is considered to be mostly truthful and not a troll. That is in spite of the main account even being a fictitious and mostly anonymous representative of the account holder.

In some ways it is probably best to use an alt to post to the forums where anything can and will be used against one in the court of public forum opinions. Naming and shaming is supposedly not allowed here but it is only acted on when reported. Those people who use their account to conduct business inworld, are best to never use their main account in the Forum in most instances as there is simply too much risk of  it being held against someone.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

In some ways it is probably best to use an alt to post to the forums where anything can and will be used against one in the court of public forum opinions.

Dammit, now I find this out!! \o/

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Yah I am saying this from the experience of hindsight too!

That wasn't a shot at you.. I've taken crap for saying the same thing..

I was just being silly like every post  I've made so far in this thread.. It was more a silly playful shot at myself than anyone.. hehehe

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

In some ways it is probably best to use an alt to post to the forums where anything can and will be used against one in the court of public forum opinions

I guess people shouldn't have to take personal responsibility.

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That wasn't a shot at you.. I've taken crap for saying the same thing..

I was just being silly like every post  I've made so far in this thread.. It was more a silly playful shot at myself than anyone.. hehehe

No worries, I took your post as such. 

It's already been mentioned before, the problem is that a lot of people use alts for bad intentions, cheating, stalking, harassing and so on. I have/had alts, but I used them to freely explore without having friends sending me IMS or being known or bothered by people i might bump into, depression makes me want to be alone at times, without having to think and worry about making my friends think I hate them because I'm not responding to their messages or having to explain to them why I'm clearly having myself as unviewable as online for them.

This account at some point used to be an alt, however because of some drama between me and other people I decided to change this into my main to get a clean slate, while my old one is now my bank. I didn't want to be recognized and I wanted to stop feeling paranoid and scared of meeting the people I had a drama with, especially since one of them used to be my friend who decided it was okay to steal my private textures that I had made for myself. In general while I now think I reacted poorly by being overly blunt at the time (No name calling, rudeness just bluntness) for example (can you get your own style? Can you please stop copying me?), I don't think I deserved to be harassed the way I did, especially since I was trying to protect my textures, products, product frames and my stores identity in a way , from being copybotted or taken inspiration from. At the time I was young and dumb and had a lot of joy creating textures, and trying to find my own style and identity in it so basically I was sensitive about the subject at the time, I still don't condone stealing someone's textures, unless asked for permission, however I do think I could of just ignored it or have communicated in a different way to make them understand my perspective better.

I now don't care whenever they know who I am, my ex-friend does and I've experienced future harassment because of it but I just laugh at it now. I know my wrongdoings, but if they haven't then so be it.

My point is that I felt like I had to switch to a different account because I was experiencing a lot of anxiety and fear by meeting or bumping into these people (probably because of my AVPD, general fear of rejection and so on), fear of being harassed and misunderstood, after just trying to protect my own things. I after all just wanted to enjoy SL, and I couldn't with these lingering fears in the back of my head. I don't know if this type of "alt" or switching an alt into a main account is considered shady for this reason, but I don't believe that all alts are bad or should be considered bad, everyone got different reasons.

Edited by PixelBerry
  • Like 3

This is the problem with alts:  you make them, you care for them, you nurture them, you BUY THEM SO MANY CLOTHES OMG!!!  And the thanks you get is a drained account balance, a permanent squatter in your home, and being treated like an armrest.

Family Portrait.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

On 2/17/2024 at 5:21 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

I don't think it's this at all. I think some people simply prefer to keep social life and personal opinions separate from business. It's actually considered by many to be more professional to do that. The same way a professional lecturer with a successful Youtube channel might not want to go around using that account to talk trash in the comments of stupid videos.

Just because the average person can talk trash using their only name and social accounts without anyone going to their job and taking out personal issues on them in a business setting doesn't mean everyone can. And there are a lot of petty people on the internet who like nothing better than trying to harm people they disagree with in whatever way they can.

Good thing I don't care if people on the forum don't all buy a baby diaper or a hat from me. Saves me making an alt.

• Like 4

On 2/17/2024 at 4:23 PM, PheebyKatz said:

My current main is my former alt. My current alt is my former main, who is 99% inactive, because my SL changed, and I ended up having more reason to develop my get-away-and-build account, and not so much reason to use my other.

I ended up being more active in the places where everyone knew my builder account, basically.

I have a similar story. One day, I just happened to be goofing around on an RP alt - imagine that! - and got to thinking about some old stories I wrote years and years before. Shortly after, Sam was created, and promoted to main. I also have made Kristen, Sam's sister, though she mostly comes out if I need to take a pic. One of these days, I might even get around to making the Martians ...

And yes, most of my main social circles that knew me before know and embrace me as Sam, I'm happy to say. 😃

• Like 5

On 2/18/2024 at 6:42 AM, Arielle Popstar said:

In some ways it is probably best to use an alt to post to the forums where anything can and will be used against one in the court of public forum opinions.

I called them coward beacuse they not have guts to take responsible with what they already said.

Always be ready to speak your mind, and a base man will avoid you.

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2024 at 5:33 PM, PheebyKatz said:
On 2/17/2024 at 6:21 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

I don't think it's this at all.

Sorry if my point was too subtle, it was directed specifically at the person I was responding to!!

Unless I have my users confused, I thought they used to preach about "taking personal responsibility".  Of course, it could have been another user.

6 hours ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

I called them coward beacuse they not have guts to take responsible with what they already said.

Always be ready to speak your mind, and a base man will avoid you.

William Blake did not live in a virtual world where all had a virtual identities on a medium that never forgets and the base men become emboldened by their own anonymity.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 99 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.