Profile Pic Size?

Benson Gravois

2 minutes ago, Benson Gravois said:

I searched for the answer to this question on the Knowledge base but couldn't find one. So what should the "dimensions" of a pic be to fit perfectly in your profile pic? and does anyone have any good sites that can do that?

Depending on a person's viewer, and what theme it has at the moment, there might not be any perfect fit. I take square snapshots and they turn rectangular on my profile.

But generally, things go best if images are either 1:1 or 2:1, square or rectangular. Examples: 512 x 512 or 512 x 1024. I'm not even sure images can be uploaded that don't follow that model, at least in the viewer.

It's a square. Use any crop tool. It used to be different, and super weird, and then it changed to a square, except that many people had Firestorm in "classic profile" mode so no matter what you did, someone would see it stretched or squished. But now it's a square, available where all fine shapes are sold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The current in-world profiles adjust a little bit to the aspect ratio of your profile picture. If you want to play it safe, use a square image.

The maximum size is 1024x1024 but your profile picture is rarely seen at that scale (only if people click on it to view it, and expand it to almost fullscreen), so you should use a smaller size like 512x512 for faster loading.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Ezbeharra said:

It's a square. Use any crop tool. It used to be different, and super weird, and then it changed to a square, except that many people had Firestorm in "classic profile" mode so no matter what you did, someone would see it stretched or squished. But now it's a square, available where all fine shapes are sold.

As Huey Lewis tells us......

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Benson Gravois said:
49 minutes ago, Ezbeharra said:

9 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:
30 minutes ago, Benson Gravois said:

I can sell you all the newest drugs. Just in case it was about that.

* sad trombone sounds * Nope, he meant "It's Hip to be Square"!  Nice try though!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

It does depend on the viewer you are using - and if Firestorm, what Mode you are running in.  

When I go to my web profile, the thumbnail looks square, but when I click it, it expands to the 2:1 rectangle that I used yrs ago when I uploaded it:
image.png.9ded3b99be2ebaadf36b4541144a8c82.png
image.png.e16f779e26106eeaaeedcd9be36a11c9.png

In my view of the inworld profile, it is not the rectangle, but also not quite square:
image.png.c7459507d21e563789034b9241250290.png

When one of my alts looks at my profile, she initially sees the same format that I do, and when she clicks it, it expands to the same 2:1 rectangle that the web profile shows. Inworld is all via Firestorm in Phoenix Mode.

• Like 2

The NEW profiles viewer established the aspect ratio as square. Profile pictures are square on https://my.secondlife.com as well. 

Old firestorm skins that haven't been updated in half a decade or longer probably shouldn't be used as a reason not to adhere to the new standard.

600x600 was the max resolution an image would be displayed on my.secondlife.com.. if you upload an image larger than (or that size) it should be good. SL will likely shrink it to 512x512 for inworld usage.

Edited by Honey Puddles
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Honey Puddles said:

The NEW profiles viewer established the aspect ratio as square. Profile pictures are quare on https://my.secondlife.com as well. 

Old firestorm skins that haven't been updated in half a decade or longer probably shouldn't be used as a reason not to adhere to the new standard.

600x600 was the max resolution an image would be displayed on my.secondlife.com.. if you upload an image larger than (or that size) it should be good. SL will likely shrink it to 512x512 for inworld usage.

Although you can no longer upload profile photos on mysecondlife.com.  I'd upload at 1024x1024.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Honey Puddles said:

The NEW profiles viewer established the aspect ratio as square. Profile pictures are square on https://my.secondlife.com as well. 

The NEW profiles have dynamic aspect ratios. If you upload a square image, it's square. If you upload a wide image, it's a bit wider.

On the left are two of my accounts, on the right are random accounts. All of these on the same viewer/skin on latest Firestorm. This is not a new thing, it's been like this since web profiles went away from the viewer.

image.thumb.png.7636d03d4cec9824aa05d7c177b52411.png

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I believe the NEW NEW profile shows wider pictures in a 4:3 ratio. Based on this I have been cropping my profile pics to 4:3 and then scaling them to a 2:1 multiple such as 512x256. That seems to result in a dynamically scaled profile pick that is not distorted and gives a bit more real estate than the square. YMMV but give it a try!

Edited by missyrideout

On 2/13/2024 at 1:17 PM, Benson Gravois said:

I searched for the answer to this question on the Knowledge base but couldn't find one. So what should the "dimensions" of a pic be to fit perfectly in your profile pic? and does anyone have any good sites that can do that?

Profile Images for the 2L and 1L boxes are 1:1
- This is true for the official viewer, and Firestorm will use 1:1 or 4:3 depending on what you upload. But someone on any other viewer will see your 4:3 image squished into 1:1... so it's best to upload as 1:1.

Profile "Picks" are... 16x8.62. About Land is the same.
- I think they were supposed to be 16:9... but if you measure the box, it's actually 16x8.62

I like to make the Profile image 1024x1024. I make the Picks 1600x862

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 6:35 PM, Honey Puddles said:

(emphasis mine) Only sort of -- See my post above. When someone goes to my profile on 'my.secondlife.com', my profile does indeed look square.  However, if they click the thumbnail it expands to the rectangle that I uploaded it as.  When my alt clicks my profile inworld, she sees a square picture, but when she clicks it, the enlarged picture shows as 1024x512

My alt has a 1024x1024 image on her profile and it doesn't appear to have been shrunk.  When I click the image on her profile inworld, it shows 1024x1024 as its size.

On 2/13/2024 at 6:35 PM, Honey Puddles said:

While I am using Firestorm in the older Phoenix mode, the SKIN that I use is a current one and is still being regularly updated.

@Benson Gravois All the published limits in SL are on a Wiki page: Limits. What you are looking for is here.

These are for the SL System and Linden made default viewer. Some third party viewers can do things a bit different as there are viewer side enforced limits and server side enforced limits. Only the viewer side limits can vary.

On 2/17/2024 at 3:52 AM, Zalificent Corvinus said:

And SL will auto ressize those to 1024 x 512 on upload to your inventory.

It might. But then when you display then inworld on a pick - if you uploaded them as 16x8.62 they will not be stretched or squashed when viewed. If uploaded as 2:1 ratio they will be stretched in a Pick or About Land.

I use 1600x862 just because it's easy math. No need to try an upload a fraction of a pixel. ;)

If they squash it on their end - the fact that when I view it it shows up as the proper ratio is what I care about.

Just take a slightly bigger than 1024x1024 image of yourself, cut out the best 1024x1024 portion and upload a jpg of it set to 75% image quality.

In my 12 years in this realm, never had one issue, always showed up perfect, loaded faster than anyone else's and never failed to load.

Anything else is just distraction from my independently verified results.

On 2/22/2024 at 2:02 AM, AlexandriaBrangwin said:

Just take a slightly bigger than 1024x1024 image of yourself, cut out the best 1024x1024 portion and upload a jpg of it set to 75% image quality.

The DEFAULT Quality/Compression setting for jpg's is 80/20, so setting it to 75/25 means you are DELIBERATELY reducing the poor quality of a jpg below it's default poor quality.

Outstanding.

Use png or lossless tga instead.

Taking the original quality image, and fubaring it to jpeg2000 is bad enough, double fubar by uploading as a jpg is worse, triple fubar by deliberately saving in "worsethan default" jpg is just...

oh-no-emoji.gif.b224468c6390c0b4b2f06c31bd84979d.gif

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 3:41 PM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Everything becomes a lossy jpeg, no way* around it.

That's regrettable in 2024. It made sense in 2003.

BUT... every round of compression loses more data. So I upload a not yet compressed image it will at least lose as little data as possible whereas if I compress it on my end, when they put it into their system they remove even more.

Whatever method they do use - images are crystal clear for me. I'm not able to see the compression they do. So I can live with it. But if I added more, then I would start seeing it.

EDIT: Just reread the post above me. It's making the same point with different wording. ;)

I guess even in 2024 we don't want 'no limits', but I think given that we're already X:Y size limited, moving to tga or PNG on the backend "post upload" feels like it ought to be done. Could have been done as far back as 15 years ago. Been a VERY LONG TIME since we'd expect people inside SL to be on dialup...

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver

On 3/1/2024 at 9:18 PM, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

I guess even in 2024 we don't want 'no limits', but I think given that we're already X:Y size limited, moving to tga or PNG on the backend "post upload" feels like it ought to be done. Could have been done as far back as 15 years ago. Been a VERY LONG TIME since we'd expect people inside SL to be on dialup...

The benefit of jpeg2000 or "j2c" over other formats is that it's inherently progressive, you can download only the data you need to display a lower resolution version of the image.

PNG and TGA require you to download the max resolution into memory, and then do extra processing to create a smaller copy, and then delete the original. Repeat this anytime you want to resize the image.

• Thanks 2

On 3/2/2024 at 1:56 PM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

PNG and TGA require you to download the max resolution into memory, and then do extra processing to create a smaller copy, and then delete the original. Repeat this anytime you want to resize the image.

That information just explained something that I've wondered about for many years, thank you, Wulfie.