Marketplace changes? Fixes?

Chic Aeon

I sold more on the Marketplace today than I have on a single day in MANY months. Lots of little items and one big one and some in the middle.  It is the end of the month in the middle of the week and I see no obvious reason for this other than some of the Marketplace issue finally got fixed. 

Anyone else notice anything?  Whatever, I hope it continues.   

• Like 1

Yes, I've noticed that it just took me four days, two requests (I was advised to cancel and resubmit my original request by support) to get a bulk redelivery out for an update.  I don't know if this is normal because this was the first time I had used the feature but it wasn't what I was expecting.

I realise this probably wasn't what you were expecting in this topic either but I guess LL giveth and they taketh away.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

7 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I sold more on the Marketplace today than I have on a single day in MANY months. Lots of little items and one big one and some in the middle.  It is the end of the month in the middle of the week and I see no obvious reason for this other than some of the Marketplace issue finally got fixed. 

Anyone else notice anything?  Whatever, I hope it continues.   

Marketplace sales are like a roller coaster for me. Sometimes steep up, then steep down again.
I'm on a down point at the moment. The last few weeks were okay though.
I think in my case it has to do with the fact that I still only have a relatively small number of items on sale.

Yes realize that. Over 16 now and on the Marketplace since almost the beginning but this is unpresidented for me in all that time. Still happening this morning when I logged in. Just seeks like "something" has changed.  No advertising from me or new products or any changes that "I" made in the backend. 

They are always a roller coaster. The last year or so, having whales who come and make large purchases pretty much disappeared from SLMP. Which is odd for me because my big thing is making builder's kits designed to work together in a system. So you'd think I'd see lots of those types of sales. And I used to have them.

I set up in world vendors and started making an alternate SL Search for products this summer. I was getting whales for a while but only in world. I had a few on SLMP recently, which I really haven't had much at all in the last year or so. It was very bad for SLMP for a month or so, it peaked at about 70% in world sales, 30% SLMP. Probably because I was getting large customers in world and just selling outdated, old, cheap stuff on SLMP. Normally it's around 25% in world, 75% SLMP. Monthly revenue that time was about normal.

But I could never figure out if that was just people who were going to buy on SLMP and bought in world because it was easier or there were problems with SLMP; or if it was bringing in new customers who don't want to shop SLMP. I am assuming the 70/30 month was SLMP performing poorly because my year over year was pretty close to normal when buying on SLMP was very unpopular. In fact, an odd pattern for me is that my monthly income is performing a lot better lately, but the balance between in world and SLMP can change a lot.

I think you have to go through a lot of hoops to buy anything on SLMP. Add to cart/buy now, view a page of ads for completely unrelated products, place order, wait for the spinner to do its thing, then wait for it to show up in world. I think if anyone ever gets a 500 error or a slow page load or something in any of those steps they don't want to buy anything and just go play a game or do something RL.

A theory I have is that people want to buy my stuff, but they don't want to deal with SLMP when it's having issues, so they'll buy it in world instead. If they have no options besides SLMP, they just don't buy it. And honestly I think SL has kind of developed a reputation for not being a reliable platform, and if you're loading up a cart with L$10k worth of stuff there's probably a bit of anxiety if the transaction is actually going to go through, or there's going to be problems with the order, or whatever.

I've had days where I was making listings, I'd get 500 errors when pressing save, and just gave up and did something else. Surely I'm not the only one. Even if it's on the status page, what is that? Do you check the Amazon status page to see if the website is having issues every time you buy something from it?

For reference my store is over 350 items (with only a few color variations) and my first listing was in 2009. So I've been doing this for a while.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Fergie Finesmith said:

It was one of the worst days of the month for me.... 94 lindens that's all

God bless the in-world events!

I have a friend who has a store, his sales are almost always good when mine are bad, and vice versa. There seems to be some sort of pattern there too since it's been going on for years. For me, the changes in the last year have been beyond that, with bad days being more common without it flipping back, and same for my friend. Some ebb and flow is normal, you probably will have a good week while mine is terrible. But I think this is more about how erratic SLMP sales have been in the last year, and how most of us had a terrible year compared to normal. Gotta look at long term trends with this stuff, even a week or two doesn't mean much. But we have both had a very bad year, to the point he's about done with making SL content, which is really odd because his stuff is really popular and well liked, although niche.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flea Yatsenko said:

... most of us had a terrible year compared to normal. ...

i think this is the new normal.

I'm bracing myself for the coming end of March, when Lindens will (traditionally) most likely come out with some new draconian ways how to squeeze yet more pennies out of their favourite cashcows. Gonna try and take most L$ and US$ out of SL in the last week of March, just in case...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Every month I'm reaching new lows... this is getting ridiculous. 

What about you guys? When I thought that January and February were bad months, March is being the worst ever in my Second life history, poor sales EVER!

Edited by Fergie Finesmith
  • Sad 2

On 2/1/2024 at 4:18 PM, Elvina Ewing said:

I'm bracing myself for the coming end of March, when Lindens will (traditionally) most likely come out with some new draconian ways how to squeeze yet more pennies out of their favourite cashcows. Gonna try and take most L$ and US$ out of SL in the last week of March, just in case...

This comment has been wondering what has occured in previous years  to elicit this response?

7 hours ago, Fergie Finesmith said:

What about you guys? When I thought that January and February were bad months, March is being the worst ever in my Second life history, poor sales EVER!

In world sales are making up for the poor marketplace sales performance for me. But yeah, my SLMP income is some of the lowest I think I've ever seen for the last month. My sales have been kind of below normal for several months, but when SLMP really dives the in world sales fill in the gap.

If you are selling avatar stuff, the sale events are probably the driving factor. I went as far as to make my own search engine website for my store and it's picking up the slack. But I think there is some fatigue with how difficult it is to find stuff to buy in SL and people aren't bother with SLMP like they used to and instead look for alternate search or events/blogs.

I think the last update they did to search greatly increased relevancy of returned results at the cost of the quality and age of listings. The end result was a bunch of very relevant stuff that is horribly outdated. One of the keywords I target has only the first 4 results having ratings, and one is 1 star, the other is 1.5 stars. And further down in results are some 4 and 5 star rated products, some not from my store. In fact some of my lower rated stuff appears higher than my higher rated stuff when searching with two very generic keywords that target both.

The new algorithm is also extremely easy to game. I think you have serious merchants not diving into manipulating search in hopes that it'll be fixed, and more scam-tier merchants diving right into gaming the system as hard as they can. I honestly think the days of just depending on SLMP for sales is over.

• Like 1

Update from OP:  I am still doing above normal (normal the the last couple of years anyway :D) or above normal on the MP.  Inworld sales about the same even though I am on a small plot now and not half a sim.  I sell Home and Garden NOT avatar items so that might be part of it. Other part might be that my brand has been around for 15 years or so.  

It may very well be WHAT you are selling and how many more folks are selling the same type of product with the same look.  Overall I believe that the preponderance of sales has hurt sales for creators.  I said that in the beginning and haven't changed my mind.  I don't do sales events except Shop and Hop and I don't have store sales. So that might also be why things are good to stable. 

11 hours ago, Fergie Finesmith said:

Unless you have another MP store under another avatar, a quick look sort of tells me why your sales may be down.  Almost no one uses appliers for heads or bodies anymore.  The only applier I still use is lipstick since I like to adjust intensity.  If you updated to include BOM layers, at least those using Lelutka in Non-EvoX mode might be interested?

I'm not trying to be critical but BOM is the standard now for most of SL.

• Like 5

My sales on the MP are slightly up compared to last year.

The in world shop that I opened is still dead in the water.  2 Sales since the opening in January. :D
Maybe I have to rethink the used keywords and keyword combinations.

Edited by Sid Nagy

8 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

My sales on the MP are slightly up compared to last year.

The shop that I opened is still dead in the water.  2 Sales since the opening in January. :D
Maybe I have to rethink the used keywords and keyword combinations.

That's a shame, your store is pretty well set up. How many times do your products show up in searches?

The most important thing in the current MP situation is the product name - that holds the most priority when searching by "relevance." Keywords and the Features tab are secondary, and the description doesn't seem to matter at all.

So for example, although your products have "LH" in the name, and "linden home" in the keywords, your products don't show up when I search for "linden home" because there are so many listings that actually contain "linden home" in the name. Basically, think of the most relevant things someone might search when likely to buy your products and work those into your product name, not just keywords.

Longer names are also bad, because a product called just literally "linden home" is more relevant than a product called "something for your linden home."

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 2

Getting 404 errors when uploading images to new listings and saving a new listing sometimes doesn't actually work. Every time I make new listings I get reminded how borked this thing is and how much lost income it's costing me because it doesn't work properly. :/

Wouldn't be surprised if check outs and other parts of SLMP behaved the same way.

From the March 6 Web User Group Meeting...

Web User Group – Inara Pey: Living in a Modemworld

MARKETPLACE

The Marketing Team has been working on back end and infrastructure work to upgrade the Marketplace. The updates should be released in the coming days.

There were some outages when deploying some updates in the past week, which resulted in issues such as ANS not appearing in Marketplace. This has been corrected, and ANS should be back and working as normal.

Once these infrastructure updates are deployed, it clears the way for some new features and UI updates LL has been planning.

In terms of UI updates, LL is planning improvements to the viewing products and checking out the Marketplace via the viewer, improving the display size when the floater is changed, and moving the MP so it will display decently on mobile or tablet devices.

The feature updates once again have a focus on search. These will include updates based on user feedback / requests, but details of what these will be and the likely time frame for deployment is still being finalised, so details to come. However, “some updates will come faster than others” in terms of information relating to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The Marketing Team has been working on back end and infrastructure work to upgrade the Marketplace. The updates should be released in the coming days.

There were some outages when deploying some updates in the past week, which resulted in issues such as ANS not appearing in Marketplace. This has been corrected, and ANS should be back and working as normal.

Once these infrastructure updates are deployed, it clears the way for some new features and UI updates LL has been planning.

In terms of UI updates, LL is planning improvements to the viewing products and checking out the Marketplace via the viewer, improving the display size when the floater is changed, and moving the MP so it will display decently on mobile or tablet devices.

The feature updates once again have a focus on search. These will include updates based on user feedback / requests, but details of what these will be and the likely time frame for deployment is still being finalised, so details to come. However, “some updates will come faster than others” in terms of information relating to them.

I honestly feel like someone is about to hit me in the head with a book.  😱

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

I'm scared.  You could say they can't possibly break it even more then it is now, but ... I really hope linden has been listening to merchant and customer feedback about how they broke it.

I hope they are realizing that the biggest issue isn't even search quality being poor, but SLMP failing to work sometimes. Random 404 and 5xx errors all the time is not good for an ecommerce marketplace.

13 hours ago, Flea Yatsenko said:

I hope they are realizing that the biggest issue isn't even search quality being poor, but SLMP failing to work sometimes. Random 404 and 5xx errors all the time is not good for an ecommerce marketplace.

I guess that's true, it doesn't matter is you can actually find something to put in your shopping cart and try and buy if you get to the checkout page and it crashes and errors out.  

You would think that 10% of sales on the marketplace would encourage them to help creators sell stuff not hinder them.  

This past year has been a serious slap in the face to merchants and creators of SL and many have simply packed up left closed shop and stopped paying linden labs anything.  I'm sure many more are considering it while they watch their SL income dwindle away to nothing because marketplace search is showing prim stuff from 10 years ago instead of relevant new releases and popular items.  

As a marketplace shopper it is quite impossible to find the things i want to find on the marketplace so I'm shopping less then I would normally.  

Not to mention the giant pink elephant no one talks about which lets face it even if we can't talk about it, it could be causing people to no longer invest in there SL.

All in all a stressful year for SL creators is hardly going to make anyone feel creative. ❤️ (Thats without factoring in RL stresses)

Edited by JUSTUS Palianta

On 3/15/2024 at 1:41 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Unless you have another MP store under another avatar, a quick look sort of tells me why your sales may be down.  Almost no one uses appliers for heads or bodies anymore.  The only applier I still use is lipstick since I like to adjust intensity.  If you updated to include BOM layers, at least those using Lelutka in Non-EvoX mode might be interested?

I'm not trying to be critical but BOM is the standard now for most of SL.

Appliers? I guess marketplace is showing you my old stuff. I sell BOM makeup.
Now I'm worried! don't you see my recent stuff for real????? please tell me more!!

Edited by Fergie Finesmith