Missed It By 15mm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 125 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I took out a ruler, and measured the avatar on my screen.  I'm about 4 inches tall, LL needs to do something about that asap.  It is even worse on my phone.  I used a virtual measuring stick, and it wrote that I am 5'3 on one of my avatars, I can't believe how off it was.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, MissSweetViolet said:

I've never seen it, nor have I hung around any of the places nor anyone connected to any of the things mentioned here. It still doesn't cover the fact that I've never seen anyone use it for human height, if your going in to a doctor's office, Police station, etc, they aren't going to ask you a point height, your going to get in feet in inches. They can use it any system they wish, but we're talking about height here, not other industries, I've not met a single person who would think of that in relation to height, because it's not used for that. You can use in any system you want, be familiar with it, but who in their right mine would think to use such a measurement for height when it's not used for it.

The system is used by hundreds of thousands of people every day for different purposes. Just because you've never met an engineer, land surveyor, carpenter, electrician etc. does not mean they or the system they use do not exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

All of that truly doesn't make any difference.  The point is that when you see a number written as 5.9 it is a single number, the same way that is a single number.  If you want to talk about feet and inches separately, as in "five feet and nine inches", you write it as 5' 9" because feet and inches are not the same quantity.  When you're talking about "five point nine" feet, you write it as 5.9 because the quantity 5.9 isn't five of one thing and nine of something else. That's not the way numbers work. And that's true whether you are measuring height, weight, miles per hour, or your bank balance. 

And Rowan is right:

If you've been assuming that your height in SL is in feet and inches, you're off by a little more than a factor of 3X.  5.9 meters is 19.36 feet or a little over 19' 4".

Not saying your wrong, I fully understand the decimal now that it has been pointed out, my point is that many people are not going to know that right off the bat, I sure didn't and I've seen other post here who didn't, and I'm quite sure many others don't, just based off of comments I've seen in world. because it's not used for human height. It's bizarre to use a system for something that it's not usually used for. Though like Zalificent had said earlier, the bounding box is off anyway, so at this point I'm not sure it even matters what system SL uses. But, it's something to be aware of for the dumb height detectors, why they really aren't useful in doing much.

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

If you've been assuming that your height in SL is in feet and inches, you're off by a little more than a factor of 3X.  5.9 meters is 19.36 feet or a little over 19' 4".

I tend to use the meters to confirm that 5" 4" is equal to 1.6256 meters but leave it set on the decimal feet system because close enough for me since I'm actually 5' 3 3/4". 🤭

image.png.8039624402f9454abe0c40f18e6458b7.png

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

First, if I like a place or find it interesting I'll go with whatever the owners like for immersion. They have a vision, they pay the bills if I want to go there I follow suit. It's like me going to my home country I will wear the head covering out of respect not because I believe in it.

I find it pretty funny that some people are so terribly set on looking only one way. I've never had an issue with adjusting. I don't drag my heels in and stomp. But they have to cater to me and what I want! They don't and really it's not that deep. My own sim has a certain theme if someone does not fit the theme they will be told and given time to change or asked to leave. Why? It's a respect thing, there's a theme, you don't want to be part of the theme? Why are you there?

I am extremely short AV. Like I am 4'9 IRL in SL I am maybe 5ft? Never ran into issues with that, but if asked it would take me all of 15 seconds to add a few inches and even less time to change back after. Wearing anything fullbright btw looks really terrible in pictures, don't do that to others lol...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MissSweetViolet said:

Not saying your wrong, I fully understand the decimal now that it has been pointed out, my point is that many people are not going to know that right off the bat, I sure didn't and I've seen other post here who didn't, and I'm quite sure many others don't, just based off of comments I've seen in world. because it's not used for human height. It's bizarre to use a system for something that it's not usually used for. Though like Zalificent had said earlier, the bounding box is off anyway, so at this point I'm not sure it even matters what system SL uses. But, it's something to be aware of for the dumb height detectors, why they really aren't useful in doing much.

All you had to do was ask.

Those of us who have been in SL for a long time usually know these things. It can take years to learn with SL's huge learning curve. Fact is, you will never learn everything there is to know about SL. Things like this though are pretty common knowledge. So common that we sometimes forget newer people don't necessarily know.  These are all things we all learn over time, mostly through trial and error or working up the courage to ask.

There's 20 years' worth of SL history out there to dive into and learn from. If you need help, just ask. Sooner or later someone with the correct answer will come along.

BTW, much of SL history is bizarre. Enjoy!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MissSweetViolet said:

Though like Zalificent had said earlier, the bounding box is off anyway, so at this point I'm not sure it even matters what system SL uses. But, it's something to be aware of for the dumb height detectors, why they really aren't useful in doing much.

That is definitely true! If you dig back through the archives for the past 20 years, you'll find a ton of discussion about height detectors and why they are almost always unreliable. THAT's a big peeve (unless you ignore height completely in SL, which isn't a bad idea.)  Good luck with your SL, wherever it takes you.  😎

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MissSweetViolet said:

I fully understand the decimal now that it has been pointed out, my point is that many people are not going to know that right off the bat

If somebody saw something described as weighing 3.5 lbs, should they assume that means 3 lbs 5 oz? No, there is that pesky decimal point in there. Maybe they see some news about how a football player ran 57.5 yards, should they assume that's 57 yards 5 feet? No.

29 minutes ago, MissSweetViolet said:

But, it's something to be aware of for the dumb height detectors, why they really aren't useful in doing much.

Actually it's completely irrelevant to "dumb height detectors, as they ALWAYS work in metres, and always use decimals, and if the detector says your bounding box must be 1.6m high and it' only 1.5m high, it still punts you regardless of your appearance edit window displaying decimal feet, or your ability to understand decimal feet.

And the detectors are not dumb, not every parcel that wants or NEEDS to keep out those pint sized fake kid anti-adult activity griefers, can afford to have a "bouncer" on duty 24/7, so an auto punt on low height values makes sense, yeah they lose a few rapid fanatics from the Campaign To Abolish Tall People, but that's a price they are willing to pay to keep out the pint sized fake kid grriefers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Laylah Yaseotoko said:

First, if I like a place or find it interesting I'll go with whatever the owners like for immersion. They have a vision, they pay the bills if I want to go there I follow suit. It's like me going to my home country I will wear the head covering out of respect not because I believe in it.

I find it pretty funny that some people are so terribly set on looking only one way. I've never had an issue with adjusting. I don't drag my heels in and stomp. But they have to cater to me and what I want! They don't and really it's not that deep. My own sim has a certain theme if someone does not fit the theme they will be told and given time to change or asked to leave. Why? It's a respect thing, there's a theme, you don't want to be part of the theme? Why are you there?

I am extremely short AV. Like I am 4'9 IRL in SL I am maybe 5ft? Never ran into issues with that, but if asked it would take me all of 15 seconds to add a few inches and even less time to change back after. Wearing anything fullbright btw looks really terrible in pictures, don't do that to others lol...

I take pics of myself all the time with my full bright hair, and I must say, I look pretty darn good. Of course its always midday too. At midnight the full bright looks a little not quite right.

As far as adjusting my avatar to suit the dictates of a parcel owner, I treat my avatar as if it was real life, I can't just magically edit my shape in rl, so I won't do it in here.

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The only accurate viewer which can successfully create a 100% accurate avatar height is Singularity Viewer, because it was based off the original SL Viewer, which was also 100% correct.

Already tested it. End of debate. Close thread.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

The only accurate viewer which can successfully create a 100% accurate avatar height is Singularity Viewer.  Because it's based on the original SL Viewer, which was also 100% correct.

Already tested it. End of debate. Close thread.

You can get an accurate height with any viewer if you use a prim sized to your avatar.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 125 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.