Missed It By 15mm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

No, that is How to Pretend to be a Macho Man - Fragile Masculinity Edition.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the age/standing of the account holder.

I could not determine which post this was in response to! (But tried!)

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I could not determine which post this was in response to! (But tried!)

The one ascribing it to a specific era of account.

Remember, i don't often bother quoting some responses - especially when it is pointless to do so (thanks to overall attitude or similar).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

The one ascribing it to a specific era of account.

Remember, i don't often bother quoting some responses - especially when it is pointless to do so (thanks to overall attitude or similar).

I find it ironic that certain individuals ascribe far more "attitude" (and entitlement, etc.) to oldbies, than I actually see from almost any of the oldbies.

• Like 1

I find it ironic that certain individuals ascribe far more "attitude" (and entitlement, etc.) to oldbies, than I actually see from almost any of the oldbies.

Part of it is plain bad luck, part of it is that those with the worse attitudes are often the loudest ... and part of it is the response to both of these situations.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Part of it is plain bad luck, part of it is that those with the worse attitudes are often the loudest ... and part of it is the response to both of these situations.

I am "glad" that I was not on the Forum back in the "bad old days", that way people can more easily discount me as "not an oldbie" and I escape the same fate.

I am "glad" that I was not on the Forum back in the "bad old days", that way people can more easily discount me as "not an oldbie" and I escape the same fate.

Unfortunately it has little to do with forum participation and is a direct jab at account age.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Unfortunately it has little to do with forum participation and is a direct jab at account age.

And if one actually looks around, there are very few old accounts where I go that have these giant proportions.  The few really tall avatars I've seen are either perma-noobs sporting system avs and looking for the quickie.or newer players who have discovered the body deformer and are.taller than ever before often with a pin head.  😂

ec03f5a4decfcc30397a7a3d62b7e420.png.bc0b8a0e9ce6e83d4bb7b64d25899b7b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

52 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

No, that is How to Pretend to be a Macho Man - Fragile Masculinity Edition.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the age/standing of the account holder.

So, you don't think that the height 100 muscles 100 look was  invented over a decade and a half ago by accounts over a decade and a half old?

Was it invented over a decade and a half ago by noobs a month old with time machines then ?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

So, you don't think that the height 100 muscles 100 look was  invented over a decade and a half ago by accounts over a decade and a half old?

Was it invented over a decade and a half ago by noobs a month old with time machines then ?

It was invented by those suffering from Fragile Masculinity (among other things) - when it came to be is irrelevant.

Take the chip off of your shoulder sometime and look around at reality.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

when it came to be is irrelevant.

Not when responding to "it's all the fault of those pesky modern mesh head and body makers".

It's not their fault that the "fashion" exists, it was invented in ancient times, and is still around for the reason you mentioned.

About the only thing modern times can be blamed for is the addition of the UN-bobble-heads, that Rowan provided a picture of. I'm happy to admit that's the current generation.

22 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I've never really run into these rules but I don't go to clubs often. Would I change my avatar if there was some requirement? I'd elongate just my neck to reach the height requirement. 

In clubs I've been seeing places have an extreme 'Humans Only' rule (as in even pointy ears or improper eye colors will get you tossed out). There's a few with that rule that also charge group membership fees in the thousands of lindens.

But I've seen more exclusion, such as height exclusion, in places you would not expect it - like regions that exist for people to go with a few friends for private hangouts in remote corners or to take pictures. Why anyone would care what the visitors look like in places like that is beyond me - but that's where I find things like height rules or furry bans, etc.

• Like 3

Nope. When it came to be is irrelevant to correcting even that.

The correction should be: "Such a problem has existed for some time and is not limited to mesh."

But then again, not everyone has a chip on their shoulder regarding account age.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Except for height!  Everyone is always saying their avatar is their RL height.  Not weight or age or gender.   Noooo.  Just height for some unknown reason.

Somebody probably already noted this but that particular distinction seems to have come about during the days when people who had 6-foot tall avatars were getting tossed out of places for being too short and likely child AVs. So the common counter was to state that your avatar's height was the same as you were in real life, and as a 97-year old granny you weren't no child. ;)

And now that it's common for avatars to have a smaller scale, I guess stating that has just kind of lingered around long past it's purpose.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

or newer players who have discovered the body deformer and are.taller than ever before often with a pin head.  😂

ec03f5a4decfcc30397a7a3d62b7e420.png.bc0b8a0e9ce6e83d4bb7b64d25899b7b.png

Surprisingly, that matches exactly with a certain "primitive" style of Japanese manga illustration!

(Korean manwha illustration, on the other hand, doesn't distort figures nearly so much and in fact is much more beautiful and realistic IMHO.)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Your home can feel bigger and you can have more stuff in it when your avatar and furnishings are set to realistic sizes

I don't even have enough prims to fill my little house :(

I tell people to not go into the empty room.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I like the oldbies, they tell me funny stories of shoes getting stuck in butts and how prims were precious and everyone carried around a cube with them. I don't know how much of it is true.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

exaggerate them on purpose.

The shelf butts and bazooka boobs? They look like cartoon characters to me.

There are tasteful ways of reflecting your real life self or what you would want to look like in real life. And then there are those who go overboard with it and make caricatures, caricatures of stereotypes or just outright stereotypes. Not so cool in my book.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Nope, the 8 ft tall prison gym guys were around long before mesh bodies became wide spread.

How to me macho in SSL, 2006 Captain Oldbie Special Edition

Height slider to 100, upper torso muscle slider to 100, lower torso slider to 50, shoulder width slider to 100, arm length slider to 100.

Then their girlfriends had to set their height to at least 7'6" or look like midgets.

Every time I would see that way back when would send me into fits of giggling when they looked like midgets.

Maybe because I'm a "midget" in rl myself. 🤭

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I like the oldbies, they tell me funny stories of shoes getting stuck in butts and how prims were precious and everyone carried around a cube with them. I don't know how much of it is true.

Everything you mentioned is true...or was. It wasn't just shoes either, sometimes it would be the hair that was supposed to attach to your head, sometimes both.

Good times.

"It was fun!" ~James T. Kirk

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 8:35 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Before I start, I wish to state this thread is NOT about parcels being able to set any standards they wish for avatars entering their parcel. There parcel, their rules.

Now, with that out of the way, here we go.

I answered a call in a group chat looking for people to come party at the groups club.

I tped over and was  greeted with this message:

-------------

[05:50]  Avatar Scanner  V0.8.0:
In order to create a classy and realistic environment for all, we have defined min and max body sizes for the extended  Club area at 3000m and the skyboxes.
Your body is too short according to the club rules (min. height 1.670): 1.655.
If you love our place, please consider to create a shape compatible to our club rules. If you remain as you are now, we will TP you home within 3 minutes.

--------------

I got bounced, and made a comment about being too short in the group chat. A mod said, you got a problem? I said no. He said your hair is full bright too, that wouldn't work here. I said, no problem, I'll just leave the group, The mod beat me to it.

I'm sure he'd have bounced me for my system head too

Ironically, if I had been wearing heels, the height detector would have thought I was tall enough.

My question for the forum is: How far will YOU go to satisfy the arbitrary requirements of a parcel owner to satisfy their set standards, be it height, number of scripts, avatar complexity, clothing style, species, gender, mesh vs non mesh, etc etc etc.

As someone who doesn't really have a fear of missing out I found the rules of this club highly amusing. It makes me want to go there dressed like a gigantic adult baby (and I have never been an adult baby in real or Second Life before).

Seriously though, how far would I go ... I wouldn't bother trying to please some egotistical club owner or moderator within that club who strangely seems to have too much "power".

(It's just too laughable.)

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 3

On 1/24/2024 at 8:59 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Because it matches with my full bright bunny tail *smiles*.

In fact, I've set some of my mesh hair to full bright to match my full bright bangs which i never remove. Everyone knows you can't "remove" bangs, you can only let them grow out.

That's one of the good things about having such a low spec computer. People having full bright anything or face lights or glowing neon gizmos just has never bothered me at all. 

Your world, your imagination. And no doubt you are very unique.

• Like 4

On 1/24/2024 at 2:44 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Hey, you have every right to your full-bright hair and your system head.  No one has said you don't have that right.  I certainly don't care.  However, I'm not surprised at all that some places will not allow it or system avatars.  Is it being elitist?  It certainly is and venue owners are allowed to be.  

I actually can understand, somewhat, not wanting to change your head.  A few people in the forums are still using one as they can't get the look they'd like from mesh heads.  What I don't get is clinging to old items that would not be changing your basic avatar in any way such as hair.  I don't know too many women who have only one or wear one hair for years let alone full-bright hair.   Men, of course, often find one hair they like and never change but then they don't have a whole lot of options for styles if they keep it shorter.  Women have a plethora of choices.

I think you'd have to walk around in another person's shoes to fully understand why some of us cling to our old look. 

For me personally, the most I ever wanted to do to my avatar was occasionally change its shape, hair-do or clothes. I was never a fan of dressing up dolly but I know, of course, that MANY people in Second Life really enjoy this and shopping for their avatar the most. And your collection of hair, Rowan, has got to be the biggest and best. I absolutely adore looking through all the photos on the How Does Your Avatar Look ... types of threads, but really am not a fan of change within my own avatar or environment really.

I get a big old mental block if I even consider making time-consuming changes, and I'd rather use the time on something that takes less of my concentration but absorbs my thoughts completely. 

I can't speak for other people of course, but for me this is why I don't much change my appearance.

In real life I just like to be clean and paid for but remain pretty much uniform too, sticking to the tried and tested capsule wardrobe. 

I have gone slightly off topic - forgive me BilliJo. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.