What behavior do you find off-putting?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 1/12/2024 at 1:08 AM, Robberinthemuseum said:

This has never happened to me...I think 🤔 

I can provide an example….

So there was someone who was showing up at my DJ sets and chatting me up in IM (merrily ignoring that I had a long term Partner and didn’t even play for the team he was pitching to.) Eventually I politely thank him for all the attention and point out that I am severely taken….  So the following week another new avatar takes up where he left off, using some of the same Lines word for word and identical misspellings. I respectfully decline HIS advances and a week later I meet alt #3.  Same story on this ones lines, but he also uses avatar design cues VERY aligned w avatar #1, purchased from the same Makers.  The place I was working closed and when I moved to a new Gig, he evidently moved on.

This individual was fixated on “If I look better and have a better line, the Girl will eventually dig me” - and though that deception was a germane tactic. “Insert quarter and receive romance”…….

Unfortunately, he was not alone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Amanda Crisp said:

I can provide an example….

So there was someone who was showing up at my DJ sets and chatting me up in IM (merrily ignoring that I had a long term Partner and didn’t even play for the team he was pitching to.) Eventually I politely thank him for all the attention and point out that I am severely taken….  So the following week another new avatar takes up where he left off, using some of the same Lines word for word and identical misspellings. I respectfully decline HIS advances and a week later I meet alt #3.  Same story on this ones lines, but he also uses avatar design cues VERY aligned w avatar #1, purchased from the same Makers.  The place I was working closed and when I moved to a new Gig, he evidently moved on.

This individual was fixated on “If I look better and have a better line, the Girl will eventually dig me” - and though that deception was a germane tactic. “Insert quarter and receive romance”…….

Unfortunately, he was not alone.

At least his foolishness was good for the economy. But... just, damn...

• Haha 2

Mine have probably been said before, but here goes!

• Demanding to voice with you as soon as you respond to them.
    Like, I don't mind voicing but I can't do it at certain hours during the day because my computer is in my bedroom and I have a partner who gets up at 4am for work, so I limit my voicing to certain hours of the day, I even have that stated on my main's profile.
  • Barrage of IMs as soon as you log in.
    You want to show me something cool? alright I'm down, but give me a minute to change up for the day before you TP me out of my nice little cozy home.
  • Unsolicited TPs
    I'm quite happy where I am, thank you.
  • [Dating] Introducing you as their "friend" to their "sister" when you're suppose to be dating
    Happened once in my early days of SL; She wasn't his sister but his girlfriend. I did end up just learning that when someone claims someone is their "sister" that you may want to keep them at arms length from you in terms of SLDating, that is just my experience though, yours may be different.
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 2:35 PM, Janet Voxel said:

I started seeing the chat thing a few years ago. It started with people meeting on SL to go play games on Steam. Which I thought was weird because Steam has a chat feature and a friends list. 

Then discord became popular. Don’t get me wrong I think Discord is great. It’s just weird to me to chat on another chat while you’re chatting. 

I don't know if they ever fixed it but for a long time Discord had one of those single sign in available things meaning if you were using it for work or school and then opened it up for gaming or SL all of those connections would get shared around.

So I will only very rarely go to discord for anything related to SL. If I don't want my mother, my boss, the CNN/FOX anchors covering my election campaign ( ;) ), and the "folks at church" reading it - keep it off Discord.

I think they finally did let you have different profiles - but it still always wants to auto sign me in to a base one and always tries to load up it's app and not let me use multiple instances of it.

• Like 2

EDIT: This list got longer than I'd like...

Off-putting:

• Voice. I don't use it, don't like to be in places that do. While not an impact for me 'personally' I've read from a few deaf SLers that the big push Linden Lab did some years back to get EVERYTHING on voice was very isolating for them and as that's spread to a lot of communities they've been pushed aside.
  • Single word chat messages from strangers, like: "hi"
  • Long but invasive messages telling me RL info and asking for mine.
  • Messages from strangers telling me about myself but revealing nothing about them.
  • Social messages from a stranger using their business account who's profile image is a store brand logo and entire profile is about customer support and other useful but NOT social info. This is a new one for me - I actually failed to respond to a neighbor wanting to connect with me a month or so back because it came from a profile like that and felt 'weird' as a result.
    • Like; "hi, we should hang out, we have a lot in common" and I look at their profile and it's all about CSRs, MP links, and product support.
  • People who take "my world my way" to an extreme with no desire to get along with anyone.
  • hermaphrodite avatars - this is just a personal bias but it's visually jarring for me. Spent a year some time back with a regular nude chat visitor I'd hang out with who had a female avatar with a big ol' joystick down there; and I'd always be moving my camera to keep them out of view...
    • Yeah I know, it's 2024 so cancel me. But I'm just not a fan of the look.
  • Strangers that randomly IM me to tell me something they don't like about me. This has only happened once in the last year, but it used to be a regular thing.
  • People who's only interest in hanging out is because they incorrectly think I have the same kink as them. I suspect most folks don't get this one, but when your always nude in SL everyone thinks you're into all the "stuff", all the time.
  • People who rez low quality builds near my land. Stuff that's prims where the textures are not stretched right, things don't line up, etc.
    • To a lesser extent; when it's a major style clash with the surrounds.
  • This one is probably just me: Real life photos in SL. It's a style clash thing. It just feels like the art in here works best when it's either drawings or came from SL or another 3D app / game.
  • Badly proportioned avatars: tiny hands, feet, or heads. And then some things that just don't match my preferences so I "try" to keep quiet about them because my own look has an element or two that is unusually proportioned so it'd be hypocritical to go after others for their choices.
Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

EDIT: This list got longer than I'd like...

Off-putting:

• Voice. I don't use it, don't like to be in places that do. While not an impact for me 'personally' I've read from a few deaf SLers that the big push Linden Lab did some years back to get EVERYTHING on voice was very isolating for them and as that's spread to a lot of communities they've been pushed aside.
  • Single word chat messages from strangers, like: "hi"
  • Long but invasive messages telling me RL info and asking for mine.
  • Messages from strangers telling me about myself but revealing nothing about them.
  • Social messages from a stranger using their business account who's profile image is a store brand logo and entire profile is about customer support and other useful but NOT social info. This is a new one for me - I actually failed to respond to a neighbor wanting to connect with me a month or so back because it came from a profile like that and felt 'weird' as a result.
    • Like; "hi, we should hang out, we have a lot in common" and I look at their profile and it's all about CSRs, MP links, and product support.
  • People who take "my world my way" to an extreme with no desire to get along with anyone.
  • hermaphrodite avatars - this is just a personal bias but it's visually jarring for me. Spent a year some time back with a regular nude chat visitor I'd hang out with who had a female avatar with a big ol' joystick down there; and I'd always be moving my camera to keep them out of view...
    • Yeah I know, it's 2024 so cancel me. But I'm just not a fan of the look.
  • Strangers that randomly IM me to tell me something they don't like about me. This has only happened once in the last year, but it used to be a regular thing.
  • People who's only interest in hanging out is because they incorrectly think I have the same kink as them. I suspect most folks don't get this one, but when your always nude in SL everyone thinks you're into all the "stuff", all the time.
  • People who rez low quality builds near my land. Stuff that's prims where the textures are not stretched right, things don't line up, etc.
    • To a lesser extent; when it's a major style clash with the surrounds.
  • This one is probably just me: Real life photos in SL. It's a style clash thing. It just feels like the art in here works best when it's either drawings or came from SL or another 3D app / game.
  • Badly proportioned avatars: tiny hands, feet, or heads. And then some things that just don't match my preferences so I "try" to keep quiet about them because my own look has an element or two that is unusually proportioned so it'd be hypocritical to go after others for their choices.

Hi!

IMG_9064.jpeg

• Haha 3

I have an example:  Back in 2020, I put a political sign in my front yard that said "Anyone but (name of a particular political candidate)".   Note: this was in Bellisseria. 

A few days later, an old fart male avatar sent me a photo he'd taken of him peeing on my sign.   I read over his profile, and of course he had that quote about being kind because you never know what people are going through.

Since he couldn't be arsed to follow his own motto, I sent him a scathing message quoting his profile. I waited a bit and then banned him from my land and blocked him.

Why he thought sending that photo was in any way acceptable is beyond me, but that particular candidate does seem to attract the lunatic fringe. 

Edited by Lysistrata Szapira
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Creators/Stores who are splitting up everything to beat out the last penny out of your pocket. I am not talking top/pants/skirt/jacket kind of sorts, but now it's already split up into body type realms forcing you to make a choice.

I actually prefer this.

If I use body X, I have no desire to buy a copy for body Y and if that split comes with a cost reduction then all the better. If not... then I'm still neutral because now the merchant has real data about what their customers want rather than relying on a traffic survey bot 'out in the wild'.

I prefer everything split up - so I can assemble the bits I want and not pay for the bits I don't.

2 hours ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

I have an example:  Back in 2016, I put a political sign in my front yard that said "Anyone but (name of a particular political candidate)".   Note: this was in Bellisseria. 

A few days later, an old fart male avatar sent me a photo he'd taken of him peeing on my sign.   I read over his profile, and of course he had that quote about being kind because you never know what people are going through.

Since he couldn't be arsed to follow his own motto, I sent him a scathing message quoting his profile. I waited a bit and then banned him from my land and blocked him.

Why he thought sending that photo was in any way acceptable is beyond me, but that particular candidate does seem to attract the lunatic fringe. 

That's funny as hell, but you know, ALL political signs are banned Belli. He should have ARed you after he peed on the sign

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

I actually prefer this.

If I use body X, I have no desire to buy a copy for body Y and if that split comes with a cost reduction then all the better. If not... then I'm still neutral because now the merchant has real data about what their customers want rather than relying on a traffic survey bot 'out in the wild'.

I prefer everything split up - so I can assemble the bits I want and not pay for the bits I don't.

There are pros and cons to selling by body packs vs. single color deals.

On one hand, the body pack deal usually includes all colors so I don't have to waste time standing before the vendor like a dummy deciding which color to pick. With the oversaturation of the female body market selling the body package deal gives merchants a better idea of what customers want and helps them figure out which bodies to prioritize their attention on.

On the other hand, the single color deal includes multiple body fits which comes in handy for those who switch between bodies. I'd hate paying for the same item twice if I need a size for Jake and another for Gianni.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

It was 2020. I will correct that. 

I posted a while back that i was gonna have a giver at my  place that would hand out lawn signs promoting my candidate in 2024.

I said I’d love to see them on lawns all over Belli.

I forget who, but a Mole or a Linden replied that political signs were forbidden on Belli.

Just when you think you ran out of reasons to not move to Belli…

😂

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I posted a while back that i was gonna have a giver at my  place that would hand out lawn signs promoting my candidate in 2024.

I forget who, but a Mole or a Linden replied that political signs were forbidden on Belli.

😂

My sign stayed up.  Maybe the ban is against signs promoting a specific candidate, not signs dissing a candidate. LOL 

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Largely for this very reason.

What happens is each parcel around each other puts up feuding signs against each other and everyone else has to deal while the various sign posters just get madder and madder at each other.

That's the very reason I sold off a plot on Horizons north of Zindra...

Used to be very partisan but now I'd just rather that stuff not be all over my SL anymore.

90% of politics is tricking people into thinking they disagree on things that at as fundamental level they actually have common ground over in order to make people afraid or angry at another side enough that they will pay someone to protect them from the enemy.

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

😂

That is a reason to move there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am put off by hosts at venues that only engage with their friends or people who tip them. 

I like an inclusive atmosphere in a place I visit. 

Oh and those freakin spankers. Just freakin stop with those things! Annoying as hell and even if you temp defender those chat extenders spam it ! I hate that 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.