Is Second Life more toxic than other games in general?

AmberJoyBliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Try:

Call of Duty (circa 2010)

League of Legends

Grand Theft Auto V online

The silly things people tend to do on Second Life are ignorable with a block/derender ,TP’ing away, or ban. 

There are places in Second Life where people try  to do those types of things, but you really have to seek it out and want to participate.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I find the level of toxicity in SL or the forums is directly proportional to my own sensitivity on any given day. When I am feeling insecure and unworthy, there is a lot of toxicity and when I feel good there is little to none. Funny how that works.

So true!  I never thought about this before... but you certainly hit home for me with your response.  Thank you for your succinct insight. 🤩🥰

I love SL and I love RL more because of SL.  I can escape RL by immersing myself in SL and when necessary, I escape SL with my partner and enjoy a binge of good movies or series which usually inspires an idea or a desire to create or build something in SL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/26/2023 at 8:15 AM, Rat Luv said:

I think sometimes it might feel like the forum or an inworld group is a gang where everyone has the same opinion, but it isn’t…

au contraire, LL, Second Life, and the forums are predominantly left wing, the majority in here always promote “the current thing” , or they stay silent, and if you post any opinion that is not an acceptable left wing position, there will be a pile on, and that includes the mods, who should be impartial.

Plus, you’ll be reported for trolling, because, hey, how could anyone honestly believe the things they are saying.

Any way, i just stick to Second Life topics now and things are much better 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

au contraire, LL, Second Life, and the forums are predominantly left wing, the majority in here always promote “the current thing” , or they stay silent, and if you post any opinion that is not an acceptable left wing position, there will be a pile on, and that includes the mods, who should be impartial.

Plus, you’ll be reported for trolling, because, hey, how could anyone honestly believe the things they are saying.

I just stick to what I know and then shoot from the hip with the rest.. Cause I'm Eeeevil like Dat! 😈

Everone knows a damn bird caint fly with just one dang wing!! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

This forum is the opposite of toxic, it can be passive aggressive at it’s worst. that’s about it. 

assaulting someone you don’t like with confused emojis and trying to derail the threads they start with cat pictures is pretty benign in the grand scheme of things. That’s the level we’re at here.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Just now, Janet Voxel said:

This forum is the opposite of toxic, it can be passive aggressive at it’s worst. that’s about it. 

assaulting someone you don’t like with confused emojis and trying to derail the threads they start with cat pictures is pretty benign in the grand scheme of things. That’s the level we’re at here.

my fave is the laugh emojii when they arent trying to be funny 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

We're all just a buncha HellCats!! \o/

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

Very much agree. 

Game devs having to cancel in-person live events due to threats made against employees (the Rust devs, Nintendo, etc.) - now that's toxic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

my fave is the laugh emojii when they arent trying to be funny 😂

Sometimes I see humor in the post even if the person wasn't trying to be funny. I might laugh at irony, predictability, or what I view as a clueless or inane response. If the poster seems to have delicate feelings though, I'll avoid posting a laugh emoji. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

EMOJI ASSAULT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

emoji assault 2.jpg

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes, especially if the poster interprets most or all laughs as "scorn laughs".  * rolls eyes politely *

It really can’t be helped.

There are also people that feel if you disagree with them, you’re attacking them.

I guess you could say that’s toxic…..no, no I’m still going with not toxic!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

It really can’t be helped.

There are also people that feel if you disagree with them, you’re attacking them.

I guess you could say that’s toxic…..no, no I’m still going with not toxic!

On the other hand, someone who thinks "everyone is so very toxic" because you disagree with them..is themselves toxic!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
thinks not things
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Our bubbles 🫧 may keep us from seeing views we don't agree with. They may also warp what we think is normal or acceptable. Society has given us some rules of behavior though, that are supposed to keep us from being disliked no matter what our personal views may be.

Do onto others as you would have done onto you.

Don't punch down. Also known as pick on someone your own size.

Be honest. Don't distort facts to serve your own interests.

Admit when you might be wrong, don't know something for sure, or are just giving your opinion.

Admit when you make a mistake.

Admit that others can have a different perspective than you have, and that doesn't necessarily make them a bad person or stupid.

What is "left" or "right" of central views will change over time and in different parts of the world. People are also not all the same in all their views, no matter which political party, religion or social groups they may identify with. My point is that "left" and "right" are not walls that need to separate us. 

Linden Lab may seem left-leaning, but this doesn't mean it's an enemy to everyone who sees themself as right-leaning. I'm sure they don't want to alienate large portions of their usership in any case, yet at the same time they have an interest in keeping decorum in the forum. I think they try to keep a low-controversy, SL focused middle ground here. You might view them as being overly against some "right-wing" views, but others might say they don't protect "left-wing" discussions of LGBTQ+ subjects enough. I think they're trying to take a middle road that is less likely to lead to flame wars.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The word "toxic" implies something very strong or extreme. I wonder if our OP more meant "negative".

TOXIC:

very harmful or unpleasant in a pervasive or insidious way.

Toxic is when you eat sometime and it kills you or makes you sick. Therefore, don't ingest it.

Poisonous is when a creature attacks you with venom. Stay away from those creatures. Don't try to fight them back unless you absolutely have to do so to protect yourself or others.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.