Repetitive Collision Sounds While Driving...

Vicious Hollow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Honestly wasn't sure where to put this and I didn't see any reference to it on Jira (or the FS Jira), which I may have just missed..but anyway - 

This morning I headed out to route 5 in my Lusch Ajax, and after a few crossings, I heard the collision "thump". I didn't think anything of it, and carried on, then suddenly, I started to hear it way too much to be random, as in almost backfire sounding. I thought maybe my Ajax scripts went blotto, which can happen to any vehicle, sure, so I rezzed a fresh copy of the Tradeline Van (at route 1)  and proceeded on. However, a few short sims later, yet again, started to hear the collision "thump".  It wasn't just happening at the crossings, which I know can cause a vehicle to "dip", it was happening in various sections of a sim.

Thinking maybe something went "off" at my end, or maybe even the region I was in, I headed out to route 9 for more testing. At one point clearing my cache to see if there was any change. Here's what I found - 

Tradeline Van by Lusch - Collision noise a few sims in

Jupiter What's - I went several sims before hearing it, but only once maybe twice before stopping.

GEMC Iwaki B - Again several sims until it happen, then happened repeatedly.

ZAMANI Cavallo - 5  or 6 sims, then, you guessed it - more thumping

I thought maybe it's a cruise control thing, like somehow it's causing the car to, for some suddenly strange reason "dip". So I hopped in my SYZM Paladin, which was just recently (I believe) updated as I received a re-delivery of it, so the version I was using was "fresh". I made it a bit further, then when hitting the underwater tunnel (at route 9), and then a rough crossing, it started again. So that rules out cruise control.

I finally decided to try one more vehicle, and used my Destroyer (motorcycle) by Motodesign. Nothing out of the unusual happened or was heard. In other words, no collision thumps.

In conclusion, I heard this prior to clearing cache, after clearing cache, heard this at route 5, route 1, route 9, and it even happened at Bay City, while testing various vehicles, and the only time I didn't hear anything was while riding the motorcycle. I'm on the newest version of Firestorm (6.6.16.70339), and haven't changed a thing as far as settings go. I was out sailing then boating yesterday morning after installing it, (prior to the Wednesday morning restarts) and heard nor saw anything out of the ordinary. Also I want to point out, before to the new FS and the newer grid updates, I never heard the collision sound, while driving, especially never as repetitive as this.    

I've had collision sounds off forever in Firestorm, so today (after updating to 6.6.16.70339 yesterday), I was not expecting to hear these loud booming sounds.   Apparently, my friend has coconut trees, and holy moly that sound is awful.  Sadly, it rezzes the coconuts, so there is no way to mute each one.  I need to know how to disable this as the standard setting in debug settings (EnableCollisionSounds = FALSE) is not working.  Any ideas?

• Like 1

• Lindens

There was a change that I introduced in 2023-11-20.6935786551 to support llRezObjectWithParams.  That change moved collision damage and collision sounds out of script properties and made them object properties.  It appears that I missed an edge case.

It should work correctly when rezzing an object or moving from the current release simulator(2023-11-07.6790647783) to the Fall Colors simulator (2023-11-20.6935786551).  It looks like I may have missed going in the other direction. The problem should disappear as Fall Colors spreads across the grid over the next two weeks. 

• Thanks 7

4 minutes ago, Rider Linden said:

The problem should disappear as Fall Colors spreads across the grid over the next two weeks. 

It would be slightly amusing if in the meantime, falling leaves were to make a "thud" sound reminiscent of a falling coconut! 

ETA: I was referring to the "thud" sound from the post. In any case, a "thud" sound would be preferable over "screams" from falling leaves..

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 4

• Lindens
3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

ETA: I was referring to the "thud" sound from the post. In any case, a "thud" sound would be preferable over "screams" from falling leaves..

I believe the default sound for falling leaves is "Aaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwww...SPLAT"

😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I brought this up in the Drivers Group a few days ago and was about to make a Jira for it, so good to see others have beaten me to it.  Most cars I use have had this issue since the last round of region restarts.

The collision sounds only appear when driving on mesh or prim roads.  Driving over normal SL terrain seems fine.

I noticed that it effects all regions on current servers except for regions running on Blue Steel - they were fine.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 7:44 PM, Rider Linden said:

There was a change that I introduced in 2023-11-20.6935786551 to support llRezObjectWithParams.  That change moved collision damage and collision sounds out of script properties and made them object properties.

Does this mean we can now set the collision sound with a script and then delete the script and it will still use the custom collision sound? If so that's great news.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, after the restarts the sounds are back. I have EnableCollisionSounds in debug set to false - so I am not hearing the sounds when walking up stairs etc - but certainly when using cars they are there.

Again though, it doesn't appear to be on all simulators, but Magnum, Blue Steel, and Ferrari ones definitely had the issue.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Yep, after the restarts the sounds are back. I have EnableCollisionSounds in debug set to false - so I am not hearing the sounds when walking up stairs etc - but certainly when using cars they are there.

Again though, it doesn't appear to be on all simulators, but Magnum, Blue Steel, and Ferrari ones definitely had the issue.

You can add LeTigre to that list of where it's for sure heard - which, even with EnableCollisionSounds set to false I'm still hearing the sounds, walking up/down stairs and jumping etc. 

*Edit 2

To follow up on what Eowyn said, I checked our shop in Badger, our 2nd shop in Symmetry and our venue in Remonta, everything seems fine at all places, no odd collision noises when jumping or other wise. (all of these spots are on the current main channel server) 

Edited by Vicious Hollow
added info/plus follow up
  • Thanks 2

On 12/13/2023 at 8:04 PM, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Can confirm. I live in a region with the version "Second Life RC Ferrari 2023-12-06.7120498618

The issue happens whenever I collide with anything in my house. The sound doesn't even come from the right place either. It comes from the origin of the prim rather than my avatar.

Using the llCollisionSound function in a script also has odd behaviour. If I set the sound to blank, and/or volume to 0.0, it still plays the improper sound at full volume. However, if I set a different UUID for the sound, it will play that sound instead, still at the improper location.

• Thanks 2

On 12/1/2023 at 6:44 PM, Rider Linden said:

There was a change that I introduced in 2023-11-20.6935786551 to support llRezObjectWithParams.  That change moved collision damage and collision sounds out of script properties and made them object properties.  It appears that I missed an edge case.

It should work correctly when rezzing an object or moving from the current release simulator(2023-11-07.6790647783) to the Fall Colors simulator (2023-11-20.6935786551).  It looks like I may have missed going in the other direction. The problem should disappear as Fall Colors spreads across the grid over the next two weeks. 

That is what was said at the beginning of the month.  LL are aware and they SAY they will fix it.  Let us hope so, because it is very intrusive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aishagain said:

That is what was said at the beginning of the month.  LL are aware and they SAY they will fix it.  Let us hope so, because it is very intrusive.

Been kind of thinking around about that. Since the sound has all but vanished from main channel this week, most likely it'll be back to normal on RC after the next batch of restarts....hopefully at least. 😬

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

After the RC channel restarts, once again these sounds are back - at least I am hearing them repeatedly on every RC Magnum 2023-12-06.7120498618 region i enter.

I'm hearing them as well in the same region. Is it me, or is there some odd echo effect happening with them..or just more intense? 

edit: hearing it on Second Life Server 2023-11-07.6790647783 as well. (Burnet to be exact)

edit 2: Not hearing it on LeTigre..thus far. 

Edited by Vicious Hollow
additional info

On 1/4/2024 at 1:13 AM, Eowyn Southmoor said:

After the RC channel restarts, once again these sounds are back - at least I am hearing them repeatedly on every RC Magnum 2023-12-06.7120498618 region i enter.

Yes.  I heard them today on Magnum 2023-12-06 7120498613 at Warehouse 21 and very annoying they are too.

What is wrong THIS time?  Something got reverted?

I have not noticed it on any Main Server region yet.

Edited by Aishagain
additional info
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Aishagain said:

I have not noticed it on any Main Server region yet.

What  I heard on the main, must have been carry over from hearing it on the RC, when doubling back to check things. Our lead shop is on the same main channel I had mentioned and I'm not hearing it there....thankfully. 

But Magnum, yes no doubt, and I swear it's louder this time... 

Edited by Vicious Hollow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.