Repetitive Collision Sounds While Driving...

Vicious Hollow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Vicious Hollow said:

But Magnum, yes no doubt, and I swear it's louder this time... 

I agree with that, though I cannot imagine why!

What's going on, @Rider Linden?

Further to this, I note that one of the issues that this simulator release was supposed to resolve was the matter of collision sounds.  Clearly this is not the case!

Edited by Aishagain
further info
  • Like 1

Yeah, I bumped into a tree while walking and it sounded like I hit it with a truck bumper.  WHUD!  I then got out some things and walked on them, bumped into them and dropped then.  All sounded alike.  Weird.  Crazy loud too.  The one impact I tried that wasn't loud, and perhaps didn't make a sound at all, was by control-dragging an inactive object into an avatar to move them.  Dragging an active object into them did go WHUD!

• Like 1

The SL rolling restart fix for a temp time and it returned again the Collision sound is very annoying when walking in places and for the people who have the sound turned off in settings  its like that don't matter LL broken something that make it no longer work. Plz LL fix this soon as you can.

• Like 1

As a further comment to the above I would add that while it is not particularly bad that an avatar arriving on a Magnum region does so with a load thump, though at a club or busy store it is extremely disruptive, moreover the sound accompanies any object creation/rezzing whether it be physical or phantom and that IS ridiculous.

We are now told that QA testing of new simulator software is done on the Main Grid; I for one do not appreciate being used as a test subject in my day-to-day SL.

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aishagain said:

We are now told that QA testing of new simulator software is done on the Main Grid; I for one do not appreciate being used as a test subject in my day-to-day SL.

Also wouldn't make a lick of sense, because doesn't that sort of negate the purpose of the RC channels, in the first place?

To add to the returning thud annoyances, we were flying around last night in a Mayfly, and while circling Leviathan heard it happen at least twice. As far as I know we didn't collide with anything (since we didn't crash obviously lol), but sure heard it - LOUD and clear. 

@Vicious Hollow hah you misunderstood my point, but I also made it far too crudely.  The QA testing used to be done on Aditi, but as I recall the lack of population there rendered the testing invalid, so small RC parcels of simulators (RC Ferrari is one) on Aditi (the Main Grid) were pressed into QA use.  Since Magnum represents about 10-15% of the SL real estate (I understood it to be 75% Main Server, c15% Magnum and 5% each for Blusteel and LeTigre) it is, I understood, used to gently introduce changes to SL.

This present change is NOT good.

Edited by Aishagain
clarification
  • Thanks 1

• Lindens

The fix should go out with next week's RCs.

We had rolled that simulator back just before the holidays so that everyone could enjoy SL without additional "bonks".  We put the version without the fix back onto the Magnum channels last week so that we could spot any other issues that we might have missed. 

• Thanks 3

I'm guessing due to the restart issues today, the fix didn't get put in, considering while out a moment ago on route 5 then route 9, the sound was still there. Also noticed two sims not "visible" - either that or still down (one on each route) well after the roll back was completed. and the issue was shown as resolved. 😕

For an example of the not visible/down sims - I'm currently standing in Second Norway and Brinken is down (  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Brinken/146/114/33 ) or not visible. 

Edit 2 - While I was posting the info about Brinken, I turned around to see Nordfjorden ( http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nordfjorden/171/76/69 ) turn red on the mini map, then go down. 

Edited by Vicious Hollow
additional info

1 hour ago, Ardy Lay said:

Does this server release make my butt sound big?

Only if it drags on the ground, especially over crossings. 

Just rode the routes from route 5 to 1, to 3 to 3A, all the sims were up, so good news there for sure. The thud noise, oddly enough, was really sporadic - varying on RC's and Main channel servers.   

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.