clothes designers

kittycatdoll2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

They're only going to rig for what sells the most.  There are people who own other bodies that NO one rigs for anymore such as Slink.  Tons of people use the free Legacy Classic body, which I loved btw, but almost no one makes anything new for it either.  

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, kittycatdoll2 said:

oh no i do not use slink lol i love my genx i have all of them i like legacy to but not as much as the genx 

Gen X bodies are used less than 700 each (according to various stats collecting bots) within a year of release. Preferences and aesthetic aside they are a commerical failure. So, no, rigging for it is a waste of time, and time, Like Paul said, is money. Not to mention that rigging, especially for more complex pieces is a difficult and very time consuming process to do things right.

Same idea for head skins/makeups etc. Most people who actually shop for new things are using EvoX, so redoing releases in classic SLUV is a waste of money, time and resources, and thus there are barely any new SLUV releases for years.

Edited by steeljane42
typos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kittycatdoll2 said:

i love genx i will continue to wear mine

Well, then you may just have to embrace nudism, as it's unlikely there'll be much new clothes released for it at all. But if that works for you, that's all good and stuff!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Part of the problem with GenX is the Belliza people are picky about who they will let make clothes for it. So, new designers who may try to fill a nitch are out of luck as are the GenX users.

I bought GenX as a replacement for my Slink bodies but now I am looking for a replacement for GenX because so little is available for it. It just isn't taking off. Much like Slink's Cinn & Chai. :(

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, kittycatdoll2 said:

but check out my pic the body is rockin i get lots of compliments on it

Got lots of compliments on my Maitreya, my Legacy and now my Reborn.  All 3 supported by almost all designers.  I got a lot of compliments on my Catwa head but switched once EvoX took over.  Genus was wildly popular too but people started dropping it when the creator abandoned it for so long.  Belleza did the same with their bodies which I think, is partly why their new bodies didn't do so well.  People lost faith in the brand overall.  Kupra soared at the beginning but it too, I've noticed, is.losing designer support.

It will be interesting if Genus is able to make a comeback and be as popular as it was now that it has EvoX.

1 hour ago, kittycatdoll2 said:

there are alot that do it for all bodies lol still can add in genx

Those are usually template stores.

51 minutes ago, kittycatdoll2 said:

i just wil not buy from the designers that don not have 

Obviously

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kittycatdoll2 said:

maybe but there are alot that do it for all bodies lol still can add in genx

"All bodies" is a much higher number than you're imagining.

I love my GenX and I get it. But it's not just GenX. There are probably hundreds of random niche mesh bodies that are worn by only a few people. So where does a creator draw the line? If there's a particular designer you want to see stuff from, write them a nice note, or participate in their body surveys if they have them.

• Like 3

Yeah, the stores that have clothes for virtually all mesh bodies are buying full perm template mesh and just texturing it.   I refuse to buy most template clothing.

Some stores have an entire staff behind the scenes doing different stages of clothing creation.  I know of some stores where the store owner does nothing in the process other than creating the vendor ads and putting them up for sale. 

The designers who actually create and rig their own mesh by themselves often have to choose a limited number of bodies to rig for because they don't have time to do it for all the bodies. You should ask a designer sometime how long it takes to create, texture, and rig an outfit. It's NOT easy.   If they can rig for Maitreya or Reborn and sell 2000 copies of a dress but that same dress for Belleza will only sell 500 copies, it's not worth their time and effort. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, kittycatdoll2 said:

wants to know why all wont just add in all the bodies let the customers decide what they want 

I can give you a really good reason why the really good ones don't do that..

It's quality over quantity..

If a creator fills their plate too full of different riggings, rather than making something specifically for a few bodies, you end up with what you see with a lot of the creators selling things for 10 and 11 bodies.. A lack of quality..

When something is specifically rigged for certain bodies, you'll notice things fit so much better, the texturing is done really well and the quality is there, plus usually a wider range of variety of things made for the bodies..

What I see a lot of times from many of those rigging for a lot of bodies is, things  set to not clip, more than they are made to fit.. really floaty tops.. I've even seen some not even change the rigging and just up the size so it fits more bodies..

Then you also run into a lack of variety..

If a body doesn't take off in a years time, it's a good chance it's not going to..

Reborn after two years has done nothing but climb.. It's barking at the heels of Maitreya right now and been pushing all the other bodies out of it's way since it hit the ground running two years ago..

I learned my lesson with the Erika body, thinking that was gonna  catch a gear at some point.. But right after it was released, not long after, Reborn was released and left My Erika body in the dust starving for releases, grabbing anything I could with the name Erika in it, trying to make something work..

It took a year and a half to get a decent bikini made for it so I could take it to the beach.. hehehe

Besides the GenX showing the same pattern, I did like the body and was just gonna wait it out to see if  the good creators jumped on board, rather than starving for content and grabbing every meal I could to survive.. I also had a really big problem with the material layer which for some reason, they never fixed that I can tell..

Let me show you..

The material texture goes right up to the neck seam line rather than faded before it to make it seamless.. I was told they were going to fix it in the update after release, but that never happened.. So it's been sitting on the shelf ever since..

I have the materials turned way up  because I was asking about this line in another thread.. But once I seen the line, I couldn't unsee it on any other level of materials..

I'm just not gonna wear a choker as a fix for bodies with standard neck seams these days.. it's 2023 already.. hehehe

52400690230_03549573c2_b.jpg

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Part of the problem with GenX is the Belliza people are picky about who they will let make clothes for it. So, new designers who may try to fill a nitch are out of luck as are the GenX users.

Okay but... in my experience of trying to break into clothing creation, that's not partial to GenX. In my efforts for example, I have been getting flat out ignored at all of the major body brands.

----

As to the thread itself: Creating and fitting clothes is hours of work. Let's do some fun conversions! Average salary for a self employed 3d artist was give or take $33 an hour (glass door). Let's say they've got a decent workflow. Going through all the extreme ends of a body's shape sliders, making all the adjustments, rigging it perfectly, testing it inside of SL on the betagrid, adding and configuring the scripts, setting up proper packaging, testing the packaging, create listings, update vendors, make ad pictures...

Let's say they're a shiny lightning god of work and finish in two hours **somehow**. Two hours at $33. Give or take 15.000L$. That is not even getting into how you're getting double tapped by various conversion fees in SL. Let's say you sell at 250L$ a colour. That's sixty items you need to sell for that body type just to break even.

Now, with all the setup and fiddliness involved, with transaction fees and market fees and technical issues, you're not only looking at probably needing way, way more than two hours to go from mesh and texturing done to rigging and packaging it in SL and being sale ready, but you're also gonna need to offset the fees too.

Now how realistic is it that a body with a distribution of aforementioned 700 users as the stats mentioned above put it at, will buy your item sixty times? Now consider that I have put the needed time investment at a very optimistic (read: unrealistic) estimate and it's going to need way more than 60 items just to break even.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

Okay but... in my experience of trying to break into clothing creation, that's not partial to GenX. In my efforts for example, I have been getting flat out ignored at all of the major body brands.

----

As to the thread itself: Creating and fitting clothes is hours of work. Let's do some fun conversions! Average salary for a self employed 3d artist was give or take $33 an hour (glass door). Let's say they've got a decent workflow. Going through all the extreme ends of a body's shape sliders, making all the adjustments, rigging it perfectly, testing it inside of SL on the betagrid, adding and configuring the scripts, setting up proper packaging, testing the packaging, create listings, update vendors, make ad pictures...

Let's say they're a shiny lightning god of work and finish in two hours **somehow**. Two hours at $33. Give or take 15.000L$. That is not even getting into how you're getting double tapped by various conversion fees in SL. Let's say you sell at 250L$ a colour. That's sixty items you need to sell for that body type just to break even.

Now, with all the setup and fiddliness involved, with transaction fees and market fees and technical issues, you're not only looking at probably needing way, way more than two hours to go from mesh and texturing done to rigging and packaging it in SL and being sale ready, but you're also gonna need to offset the fees too.

Now how realistic is it that a body with a distribution of aforementioned 700 users as the stats mentioned above put it at, will buy your item sixty times? Now consider that I have put the needed time investment at a very optimistic (read: unrealistic) estimate and it's going to need way more than 60 items just to break even.

Let alone how fast it will be buried with new content coming out next week from all those other creators out there.. Because the thrill is gone pretty fast nowadays unless you really stick out in the crowd and get a good following..

With new event's/malls popping up all the time, the window gets even smaller.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

If they can rig for Maitreya or Reborn and sell 2000 copies of a dress but that same dress for Belleza will only sell 500 copies, it's not worth their time and effort. 

It'd be impressive selling 500 copies for Gen.X, as that's around 80% of the total amount of users or either version. If I could sell a product to 80% of the Maitreya users on the grid for just L$1, I could get an all-inclusive weekend trip to-- Err, Copenhagen.

.. Ew. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.