Waterway on the entire grid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We already have that, in some capacity anyway. You can fly between pretty much all mainland continents (minus Zindra and the old Linden Home continent), sail between/through/around many of them, and drive around them. There's a fair amount of railroad in Heterocera, and usually some railroad on the other continents (Belli's railroad is starting to look quite neat, minus of course that the majority of the view is going to be an endless, repetitive suburbia). 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

We already have that, in some capacity anyway. You can fly between pretty much all mainland continents (minus Zindra and the old Linden Home continent), sail between/through/around many of them, and drive around them. There's a fair amount of railroad in Heterocera, and usually some railroad on the other continents (Belli's railroad is starting to look quite neat, minus of course that the majority of the view is going to be an endless, repetitive suburbia). 

if i had one wish it would be for a portal connecting the easternmost sim on mainland to the safe hub on far west Zindra.

On the mainland side there could be flashing lights saying warning warning, passing through this portal will take you to the adult continent of Zindra where you will see unimaginable, totally outrageous activities.

On the zindra side the flashing sign could say, you are about to leave Zindra for moderate regions… put some clothes on for gawds sake.

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Eli Vespucciano said:

I know they have the capability .. it would be amazing sometimes just that limit on your sim is like pfft .. 

No they don't, not really, to build strips of unwanted, unneeded, unused tarmac textured prims, and rail-fails, between ALL the private estate regions, would take at least as many landscaping regions as there are private estate regions, and LL are not going to add 18,000 - 20,000 of those, for free.

Nor should they. Vehicle Fanatic Induced Planning Blight is a big enough problem on the Mainland without inflicting it on the estates too.

13 hours ago, Orwar said:

Belli's railroad is starting to look quite neat, minus of course that the majority of the view is going to be an endless, repetitive suburbia

So, basically, it's going to look great, if one is wearing an RLVa Blindfold with vision spheres, set to obliterate anything more than a couple of meters away? :D

13 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

On the mainland side there could be flashing lights saying warning warning, passing through this portal will take you to the adult continent of Zindra where you will see unimaginable, totally outrageous activities.

On the zindra side the flashing sign could say, you are about to leave Zindra for moderate regions… put some clothes on for gawds sake.

And in Belli, a sign that reads "You have entered the Tedium Zone! " and then plays a sound loop of the "Twilight Zone" theme music.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

And in Belli, a sign that reads "You have entered the Tedium Zone! " and then plays a sound loop of the "Twilight Zone" theme music.

Such a shame they're wasting time on a railroad in Belli, when what it really needs is more grocery store aisles and shopping carts!

20221008_CUP514.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Such a shame they're wasting time on a railroad in Belli, when what it really needs is more grocery store aisles and shopping carts!

20221008_CUP514.jpg

The one on the left is obviously the "Official HOA Disapproved Cul-de-Sac Sl*tty Cougar", her dress is shamefully slightly-see-though in places, the Temptress.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh please. I AM wearing undies! It's not THAT bad!

Hah, only a short step from inviting the neighbours to a "Behind Closed Doors XXX BBQ", smearing your self in supermarket own brand apple butter, and telling them they don't have to participate in the debauchery, they can just be "Innocent On-Lickers".

You'll be calling your self an "Artist", taking your clothes off, taking nude pics of your self and showing them in public next!

Oh... Wait... Never mind...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 11/1/2023 at 8:13 AM, Orwar said:

yes i know but it would be amazing .. if it was all sl or give the ability to move your sim to something like that ... just saying lol i guess it is because i use open source on my free time to create stuff like that hihi but i do not have a massive server :)

22 minutes ago, Island Granville said:

Maybe they could just, please, fill in the void water with real water that’s missing from existing intra-continental connections… pretty please?

Did you miss the part about how doing that means adding 18,000 - 20,000 landscaping regions?

Remember when they added a second maritime connection between Belli and Satori, and some people DEMANDED that they fill in the 38 region sized gap between the two land masses, and the official reply was "Sorry NO, 38 new non tier generating regions is too expensive an indulgence for a few boat using vehicle fanatics". They will NEVER put in 18,000 - 20,000 such filler regions just so a few dozen people can sail between the private estate regions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Did you miss the part about how doing that means adding 18,000 - 20,000 landscaping regions?

Intra, not inter. Like finish Mare Secundus and small stuff like that.  Throw an extra few water sims on continental coastal sailing routes so we don’t get caught in tight corners. Obviously there’s no reality in trying to connect all the private islands

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Remember when they added a second maritime connection between Belli and Satori, and some people DEMANDED that they fill in the 38 region sized gap between the two land masses, and the official reply was "Sorry NO, 38 new non tier generating regions is too expensive an indulgence for a few boat using vehicle fanatics". They will NEVER put in 18,000 - 20,000 such filler regions just so a few dozen people can sail between the private estate regions.

I agree.. If people want to be connected to mainland they need to live on mainland. The whole point of estates was that you are off on your own little island surrounded by nothingness.

But talk about useless non rev sims, get rid of all those old 512 homes. And stop adding onto Belli. Eventually SL will be nothing but Belli, that screaming place of boredom you can never escape.

Oh but we love our doll houses, we never want to leave and have to face other people.

😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Island Granville said:

Intra, not inter. Like finish Mare Secundus and small stuff like that.  Throw an extra few water sims on continental coastal sailing routes so we don’t get caught in tight corners. Obviously there’s no reality in trying to connect all the private islands

If they want to finish up the continents with new sims, use belli style sims. They could have the same rules and the same restrictions as the main belli mess.

They could even finish off Zindra that way, 50 or so Belli sims on the southeast corner and OMFG offer free adult rated homes to premium members. The stampede out of moderate Belli would be something to behold.

Will never happen though, since adult content is LL's dirty little secret

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a line
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

They will NEVER put in 18,000 - 20,000 such filler regions just so a few dozen people can sail between the private estate regions.

That would also kind of ruin the concept of private regions for some folks.

I'm hopeful for how things are looking with Belli's growth in the north and how it may make southern Satori more navigable. We've got a water connection a fair bit north already which does accommodate for sailing to the southern tip (although there are a few tight corners up along the western coast of Satori - placing just a handful of regions down there with protected waterways would be sufficient - the rest could be prime water-side real-estate). 

2de8925d51fa20191a79a620ca696e41.png

Eastern Satori coast .. Well, you could make it navigable with a couple of extra regions with protected waterways to accommodate traffic, but I doubt that'll happen.

For those who fly and sail, all the continents that can be reasonably connected ARE connected, with one exception… a water connection between Belli and the East River of Sansara. 
For water parcels that do not border on protected-connected water, it is not reasonable to expect that they will be connected in the future by LL, although one may benefit from the kindness of strangers.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

38 water sim instances would require no more then 4-5 GB of ram to keep live. They could do that easily on one server even with the inefficient methodology they use vs multiple sims per instance used on other platforms. Did they actually say it like that or is it a slight exaggeration?

11 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Remember when they added a second maritime connection between Belli and Satori, and some people DEMANDED that they fill in the 38 region sized gap between the two land masses, and the official reply was "Sorry NO, 38 new non tier generating regions is too expensive an indulgence for a few boat using vehicle fanatics"

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

38 water sim instances would require no more then 4-5 GB of ram to keep live. They could do that easily on one server even with the inefficient methodology they use vs multiple sims per instance used on other platforms. Did they actually say it like that or is it a slight exaggeration?

I recall suggesting that LL NOT fill in the 38 region gap and in fact, as of today they have not done so. The financial and technical issues could, of course, be worked out but my reasoning was based on another issue... that of "fairness" or "moral hazard".

The concept of protected-connected water (PCW) means that one can sail a boat from points A to B, where A and B are resident parcels that border PCW.  Based on historical real estate prices, it is obvious that parcels bordering PCW command higher prices than those that do not. If a resident buys a parcel that does not border PCW, but a subsequent LL addition provides a PCW border, then that resident benefits financially. Such an addition might be considered unfair by residents that did not get such a benefit.

As I see it, LL has been connecting locally-connected-protected water into a single global network. The motive might be that they are simply trying to improve the infrastructure. The reason they are in no hurry to finish certain coastlines is because doing so does not improve connectivity (it just means that getting from A to B requires a longer voyage).

Edited by diamond Marchant

If the lost-bot problem is brought under control, maybe the useless safe hub off to the west of Zindra and its waterway could be removed. Most of the Zindra safe hubs are used only by lost bots.The number of those is declining as LL insists on bots having the bot flag set. There used to be about 200 lost bots at the Zindra and Horizons safe hubs, but that seems to have declined a bit.

Those regions could then used to fill in the unfinished rough edge of Zindra in the southeast corner. Three more regions there would connect up four dead-end roads and clean up an edge that just hangs off into space. Most of that could be saleable land, too.

By the way, Zindra has a sizable ocean, but it's not used much because nobody can find the hidden rez zones. (There are two on the south side of the river at the Port of Kama City.) The people with beachfront property don't seem to sail much, if at all. Standard Belli-type rez zone markers would help.

This is just low-cost municipal tidying up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

If the lost-bot problem is brought under control, maybe the useless safe hub off to the west of Zindra and its waterway could be removed. Most of the Zindra safe hubs are used only by lost bots.The number of those is declining as LL insists on bots having the bot flag set. There used to be about 200 lost bots at the Zindra and Horizons safe hubs, but that seems to have declined a bit.

Are those really full of bots?

Those are the spots anyone with adult search flag on (which is most people) will end up in after a region crash.

I don't see why we'd want to remove them though, even if they had piles of bots, what's the harm to others in leaving that spot there?

One of the problems with Zindra's waterways is they don't connect to each other in places. That said, there are some spots on protected land where it'd be really nice to have a rez-zone. And that includes the roads as well. I also think they really need to finish the coast line - even if done the way Belli usually does it - a wrapping region that is half beach and half water and all protected land. Could even put in some spots people could reserve for events like Belli has.

There's no waterway between Zindra and the rest of mainland on purpose. I'd actually prefer it is the rest of mainland could have all it's G and M regions split apart into 2 sections that couldn't be traveled between without a teleport - but its too late for that and has been for almost 20 years.

8 hours ago, Orwar said:

That would also kind of ruin the concept of private regions for some folks.

I'm hopeful for how things are looking with Belli's growth in the north and how it may make southern Satori more navigable.

I've got a houseboat just to the west of that screenshot and it's nice that I can now sail all the way up into Blake Sea from it, and all the way down the other direction as well.

The rules of Belli make it a better place for sailing - less over water obstructions and scripted intrusions as you go by, so I've only bothered going up to Blake Sea... I think twice now. I use only wind-based boats, no powered boats, so things like obstructions and script lag matter more than the view. Historically this was why Blake Sea had lots of water only regions. 

It would be really nice if there was a little bit of usable water wrapping around each continent. Doesn't even have to be a full region wide - just enough to 'dip your toes in the water. But it is what it is.

I really don't care if giving someone else a piece of water nearby makes their land a lot more valuable. Good for them. Living life by not wanting others to have nice things is not a perspective I have sympathy for. Sure it'd be great if we all got nice things, but there's no harm in a few nice surprises going to others.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

I really don't care if giving someone else a piece of water nearby makes their land a lot more valuable. Good for them. Living life by not wanting others to have nice things is not a perspective I have sympathy for

That bit of map, Orwar posted, is interesting, regarding this topic, and your statement. Let's have another look at it.

9 hours ago, Orwar said:

That bit there, the two region wide gap, 19 regions long between Satori and Belli, that's the bit that was refused by the LLDWP because of cost.

When it was expected that the Moles would create a second Anti-Satorian Maritime invasion route (the northern one) but before it's location was announced, one of those Unwanted Unused Airport Spam outfits bought about half a region of land on the west Satori coast, spammed a useless airport, then bought a strip of land, and spammed a useless road to connect the airport/harbour to the bottom end of The-Road-Nobody-Ever-Uses.

The plan seems obvious, they expected the new maritime rote from Belli to land in their laps, so ALL the northern Belli traffic would pass though their airport/harbour, and the high traffic would enable them to rent out hanger space to vehicle makers for vendor boards.

But then the actual route went in 19 regions north, completely bypassing their now unwanted, unneeded, unused, and unprofitable airport, they hung on for a couple of months, then gave up and took their hideous planning blight eyesore with them.

Hooray!

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 12:13 PM, Orwar said:

Everyone always forgets poor Gaeta.

It is only about 13 regions from Corsica. When people bought their land there the plan was 5 Gaeta islands all linked, part of a giant waterway system. unfortunately the plan was shelved before they had completed the first island (although they did complete Gaeta V).

Snapshot_270.thumb.jpg.91a17c17bb4a83363e6bbdf5a75e053f.jpg

It might be nice if one day they did complete that plan.

Personally completing the West of Zindra and linking North and South waterways would be a higher priority for me, but we can always dream.

(Photo of map from New Kadath Lighthouse Art Gallery)

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.