SL Hot Takes & Unpopular Opinions!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We obviously lead very different second lives, and probably very different first ones too so I'm not quite sure why you're getting so upset about someone you're very unlikely to ever meet in either of them.

Never mind eh?

Can't say I've ever heard of Zindra but I'm guessing it's not somewhere I would want to go.

Edited by Lewis Nerd

2 minutes ago, Lewis Nerd said:

We obviously lead very different second lives, and probably very different first ones too so I'm not quite sure why you're getting so upset about someone you're very unlikely to ever meet in either of them.

Never mind eh?

Might be as a result of your posts in this thread being almost all about denigrating and insulting people who lead different SecondLives to you.

Starting with the "abolish all the smut" , progressing through insulting people with "banlines and security orbs nonsense", and progressing on to "if you don't own an amusement park you cannot have friends" via allegations about "hiding what you are upto from others".

That might be why I dislike every post you've made in this thread, and the views contained therein.

2 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

That might be why I dislike every post you've made in this thread, and the views contained therein.

Is that not the point of this thread?

It does not bother me at all that you 'dislike' my posts; I've not bothered with the forums for much of the time I've been in SL specifically because they are usually full of things that I would rather avoid.  I wish I hadn't bothered giving it another chance, and you probably do too I'd guess.

However, you have chosen not to use the 'ignore' button...

Edited by Lewis Nerd
  • Like 1

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Not really surprising for those who don't live on the forums. It was all just SL before I got educated and now that I know, it still doesn't make an iota of difference to the inworld experience.

That's nice. I knew what it was long before coming to the forums.   If someone were around when it was created yet still never even heard of it, that's just odd.  I couldn't have told you where it was on the map for years but I still knew what it was.  Can't say I've really been there all that often either as most of the adult.places I go are on private estates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

That's nice. I knew what it was long before coming to the forums.   If someone were around when it was created yet still never even heard of it, that's just odd.  I couldn't have told you where it was on the map for years but I still knew what it was.  Can't say I've really been there all that often either as most of the adult.places I go are on private estates.

It's not really advertised or talked about inworld so I'd wager outside of those who live there and the ones who visit the forums, most don't know of it, even if there are there visiting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

most don't know of it

Most who were around when it was created know what it is and why it was created.  It was the reasoning behind the brief try at age verification which all happened around 2009 when I joined SL and even I heard about it back then.  The person I was responding to has been in SL since before me.  It was being talked about inworld everywhere.  Not just adult type places.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Most who were around when it was created know what it is and why it was created.

Yeah. Its creation was enormously disruptive to Land in Second Life, and not only Mainland, and very definitely not only parcels hosting Adult content. I can imagine those on what were then called "G"-rated regions, surrounded by only G-rated content, might not have noticed much change, but most other regions underwent a mass exodus either to Zindra or to an Adult-rated Estate region, leaving spaces empty and often in the case of private Estates consolidation into fewer regions those not exiled to the new Adult regions.

It was definitely not a mere Forums phenomenon.

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yeah. Its creation was enormously disruptive to Land in Second Life, and not only Mainland, and very definitely not only parcels hosting Adult content. I can imagine those on what were then called "G"-rated regions, surrounded by only G-rated content, might not have noticed much change, but most other regions underwent a mass exodus either to Zindra or to an Adult-rated Estate region, leaving spaces empty and often in the case of private Estates consolidation into fewer regions those not exiled to the new Adult regions.

It was definitely not a mere Forums phenomenon.

The last remaining part of the whole debacle that I find interesting is that there is still an option to only allow residents 18 and over in the land window when residents under 18 are restricted to General rated regions.  It's not as if there really IS an age verification process.  It, in theory, would only prevent those under 18 from accessing General regions.  Odd, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

And you've been in SL how long?  Wow.

To be fair: there are countless users who aren't even really aware of the mainland grid as a whole. It's just not relevant any more, LL barely even promote it so I can understand that especially with Zindra being the 'adult' continent. Even then if you visited and didn't bother opening world map which is likely you might not even be aware the patch of land is on a specific adult continent.

I always see oldheads talking about specific continents etc but truth is lots of users will have no idea where they are, they're not marked on the map even if they did look at it.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 3:10 AM, Ivy Mysterious said:

Some of my SL hot takes because why not?

- How body mesh was introduced was a HUGE mistake.

Strongly disagree. It has, for better or worse, made SL much more immersive

- Kid Avatar's need their own separate platform, they don't need to be on the same platform that is hypersexualized.

Kinda agree there.

- SL Content creation should have stayed a hobby or at most, a second income.

Nope! That would have stipled things big time

- You're just asking for a lawsuit if you're putting RL brand logos on your virtual products.

Sure. Just look at what Harley Davidson did.

- The Community side of SL died years ago.

There are still lots of communities, just often very separate. So half agree.

- People take too much comfort in this platform's anonymity and treat people horribly because of it.

Not in my experience. Some most likely do, as with all platforms.

1 hour ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

To be fair: there are countless users who aren't even really aware of the mainland grid as a whole. It's just not relevant any more, LL barely even promote it so I can understand that especially with Zindra being the 'adult' continent. Even then if you visited and didn't bother opening world map which is likely you might not even be aware the patch of land is on a specific adult continent.

I always see oldheads talking about specific continents etc but truth is lots of users will have no idea where they are, they're not marked on the map even if they did look at it.

Whether one knows where it is is irrelevant.  Anyone around back when it was created, in 2009, should know what it is.  That's the point I was trying to make.  Sure, new people may not know the story behind Zindra but my initial post that you quoted was to someone who has been in SL longer than me.  

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Lewis Nerd said:

I guess more snubbed than snobbed - but it's still something under-valued.

I just set my land to auto-return other people's stuff after a couple of minutes so I don't have problems with people leaving junk.  I have always tried to have my land as 'sociable' whether I'm there or not ... but I guess exploring is just one of those things that few people are into these days.  I remember running "newbie tours" back in the day, taking groups round different cool and fun builds I (and others) had discovered on our travels.  But there aren't many places to even go nowadays.

I welcome everyone on my land, but build is set to group only, and the group is invite only, and only I can invite someone,

I really dont want someone upset over my views on various topics rezzing some griefer tool on my property. 

😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Unity Evermore said:

Distinctions are how we navigate our universe, communicate, think and survive.

If there was no difference between creator and merchant, why have two words with exactly the same meaning and connotation? Why is it unpopular to assert a difference?

There's asserting a (presumably pre-existing) difference, and there's making up a difference off the top of one's head to suit one's purposes. The latter is Humpty Dumpty in "Through the Looking Glass," and that didn't end well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lewis Nerd said:

Never mind eh?

Can't say I've ever heard of Zindra but I'm guessing it's not somewhere I would want to go.

Zindra is THE place to be. I recommend Kama City, well laid out, lots of cool builds, they even have self driving cars and a monorail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G8WoE17hC4

21 hours ago, Ivy Mysterious said:

Here's a other hot take/unpopular opinion:

Popular creators having tip jars set out is silly. You really expect us to tip you for re-texturing something you bought full perm off the MP or other 3rd party sites and resell for far more than its actually worth? Are y'all not making ENOUGH off sells? 

They could call it a "beggars tin" instead for the starving artist image?

starving-artist1-e1526929883179.jpg

One wonders how many full perm products some have to buy and retexture before they make one that actually gives them some profit.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.