Question About Parking Boats Over a Home

Savannah Wizardly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You're right, that's a violation of the Bellisseria covenant.  Not only is that a large enough floating object to be classified as a skybox, but even if you viewed it as part of the ground build, it clearly extends over 15m above ground level.  If your neighbor were to bring it down to ground level, it might be OK (to my eyes, it's clearly a boat), depending on how big it really is.  (Also, it would be more in-theme on the ground if they rezzed its cradle).  From the covenant (find it on tab 2 on "About Land"), my bold:

By accepting a Linden Home, you agree to additional restrictions as follows:

*Skyboxes, platforms or other floating objects are only allowed above 2000m to keep the skies clear of physical/visual obstructions and casting ground shadows. ...

*Privacy walls or fences should match the theme and extend no more than 4m above ground level. All other structures should not extend higher than 15m above ground level or sea level, whichever is higher.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 6

Sending the report was a good idea.  I myself have a few boats.  Sometimes rezzed and at my home (also a stick home on the beach),  But I try to make it close to 'realism' as possible in terms that I have it docked next to my deck or if I have my ATV rezzed instead, have it parked in the side lawn.  Could be the boat is too large to do that (the space for docking can be tight), in which case, she or he should derez it and rez it at a rez zone near his/her location. 

• Like 2

marinerailway.thumb.jpg.71b290c7b839d915e151c407e0acf113.jpg

Marine railway. These exist in real life, although they're not common.

I have this at my house in Bellesaria. The track retracts into the cradle base and disappears. It's normally retracted, but can extend over Linden land temporarily so I can get the boat up or down the track to the water. This is a nice solution if you're close to water, but don't own water.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, animats said:

marinerailway.thumb.jpg.71b290c7b839d915e151c407e0acf113.jpg

Marine railway. These exist in real life, although they're not common.

I have this at my house in Bellesaria. The track retracts into the cradle base and disappears. It's normally retracted, but can extend over Linden land temporarily so I can get the boat up or down the track to the water. This is a nice solution if you're close to water, but don't own water.

If you don't want to rez those extra prims, you can also rez your boat in your yard, sit in it, and then drag it into the water. It's not fancy, but it works.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Both animats' and Persephone's methods work. Or, if you are in a region that has boatable water BUT your home is not near it, you can use a script to jump the boat into the water from your yard. Just rez, sit on it, and voila.  (I no longer own the property where I had this script out to grab, but send me a msg here or inworld and I'll send it to you.)

• Like 5

If you just put a boat on the edge of your water partly inside a 'set to prim' triangle prim that is invisible, then rez a nice looking display stand set to phantom under the boat... then when you get on your boat and raise a sail or start the engine the triangle will shove it off and into the water.

I also put a script into the triangle to rez a copy of my boat up there if it's been missing for more than 5 minutes. Used this on my previous riverside plot.

BoatRamp.thumb.png.36e1b836558ac688efb1f10dfd6e8d3d.png

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

Once it leaves the water/ground it's essentially a boat shaped skybox.

Exactly.

For larger boats, a rectangular houseboat is the best as, depending on house selection, it can accommodate  a craft up to 38m in length. If you boat sticks out beyond your parcel, it could possibly be returned. Also a boat (which is a structure) cannot extend more than 15m above the water level. However, sailboat masts appear to be allowed to exceed this limit.

• Like 2

• Moles

A boat in your boat slip parcel is not really a structure... it's a moored vehicle (and it just makes sense to have allowances for masts in a marina). That doesn't mean anyone should get the idea that calling just anything a vehicle will get around the height restrictions for structures in the covenant. A tower in your back yard isn't immune because the base happens to be "boat shaped". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

35 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

If you're looking for loopholes you're not using common sense. You're looking for a reason to defend something that you know you probably isn't acceptable.

Actually the opposite. It is my opinion that the term "structure" in the covenant should apply to permanent objects that are rezzed on a parcel, regardless of the scripts they contain or their shape. Of course, it is up to Governance to rule on specific ARs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ember Ember said:

I'd at least ask the neighbor if they know it's there before AR'ing. Maybe they have view distance turned waaaaaay down and they didn't even realize it rezzed there instead of where they tried to? 😂

Maybe they tried to rez it lower & didn't realize it went up in the air?

• Like 5

• Moles

I meant "you" in the broad sense of the term. Meaning anyone purposefully looking for loopholes is essentially looking for "permission by omission" because it doesn't say you cannot do xyz. The covenant does not specifically exclude many things because it can't possibly exclude every bad idea. What we want is when people have an idea to do something they take the time to objectively think about whether it is something that would probably be objectionable from the perspective of the people around them rather than just reading through the covenant to see if it specifically says they can't. If they did that, we'd probably have a lot fewer yachts floating over people's homes. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Savannah Wizardly said:

Well I did report, and nothing, boat still sitting over house

You could politely ask the owner to pick up the boat, as it violates covenant.

Or just wait for Governance to remove it (may take a few more days or weeks as they get backlogged) and derender until that happens.

• Like 3

On 8/23/2023 at 4:43 AM, Persephone Emerald said:

If you don't want to rez those extra prims, you can also rez your boat in your yard, sit in it, and then drag it into the water. It's not fancy, but it works.

Thats what I did when I had a similar parcel in Fofita. The track launcher is cosmetic only, you don't actually need one.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.