Plants, shrubs etc. (wrong forum?)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 290 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm just coming back to doing some landscaping after several years.

I am well stocked with trees, rocks etc. but looking for new shrubs, flower fields, outside plants and so on.

Does anyone have recommendations for which designers are good in this area these days?

• Like 3

Hi Lissome :)   You might get more response in the 'wanted' section further down on this forum, and this will probably be moved there.

But since you're here atm, I'd recommend this store -- the plants are full-perm and quite lovely, especially the flowers, and have a reasonable price:

T-spot Home & Garden by Teresa Matfield

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/46024

Love this full-perm plant store too by Azalea Bluebell:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/174280

~~~

For shrubs (not full-perm) would go to Hayabusa Design.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LissomePrey said:

I'm just coming back to doing some landscaping after several years.

I am well stocked with trees, rocks etc. but looking for new shrubs, flower fields, outside plants and so on.

Does anyone have recommendations for which designers are good in this area these days?

HPMD has nice grass and a few shrubs.

Hayabusa Design has flower fields that move in the wind that are lovely, but they will set you back a bit.

Studio Skye has some lovely shrubs and flowers.

Heart Trees Flowers Plants is good for plants of all different kinds.

LOVE has lots of pretty flowers and shrubs.

The grass fields by revival are particularly good.

I like the flowers by FelixvonKotwitz Alter.

Alirium has some very popular shrubs (the Dwarf Forest) that a lot of people like to use, and nice grass too.

• Like 1

If still relevant, I'd like to recommend DDD Dysfunctional for shrubs. They are affordable, pretty and come with plenty of seasonal textures. Great for borders, standalones, fillers.

Also LOVE SUPERSTORE has a ton of shrubs, bushes and the like!

• Like 1

When you try out large objects such as trees, use Firestorm and use the Firestorm menu (lower right corner) to set the LOD factor to 0, which shows the lowest level of detail. If the trees look terrible or disappear, don't buy them, because they will look terrible at distance. This also applies to buildings. If, at LOD factor 0,  you can see through a tree or building, don't buy it. Some creators cheat on land impact by setting the lowest LOD to almost nothing, which is all wrong for large objects.

Look around SL at LOD 0 when shopping for large objects. Some stuff holds up fine; some looks terrible. If your teacup disappears at 25 meters, that's OK. If your row of parcel  boundary trees disappears at 75 meters, that's not OK. Buildings which break up into loose triangles are never OK.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, animats said:

When you try out large objects such as trees, use Firestorm and use the Firestorm menu (lower right corner) to set the LOD factor to 0, which shows the lowest level of detail. If the trees look terrible or disappear, don't buy them, because they will look terrible at distance. This also applies to buildings. If, at LOD factor 0,  you can see through a tree or building, don't buy it. Some creators cheat on land impact by setting the lowest LOD to almost nothing, which is all wrong for large objects.

Look around SL at LOD 0 when shopping for large objects. Some stuff holds up fine; some looks terrible. If your teacup disappears at 25 meters, that's OK. If your row of parcel  boundary trees disappears at 75 meters, that's not OK. Buildings which break up into loose triangles are never OK.

Yes, even though our OP is searching for smaller outside items such as flowers and shrubs, this has happened with smaller items like flowers and flower field too!  I could not believe how easily some poofed as I backed away. Quite an achievement to make that happen I guess (in the wrong direction).

I've been quite annoyed of late...even with very good creators...wonderful unique designs and textures...their plants and other items poof too easily when backing away.  I think most assume we're all on little parcels/plots without distance views, and maybe that will be the case in the future, sadly.

For me...give me those sweeping views into the distance...the most beautiful part of any virtual world...

Also, it's why I usually use sculpted trees (3DTrees by Nadine Reverie).  They never poof from afar, they look fantastic (better than many mesh ones), and no matter how big you stretch them the LI remains the same (unlike mesh trees).

• Like 3

The LOD factor war has been lost years ago IMHO. Most people want high detail for low LI.  So creators who want to sell, adapted like good DJ's: "You ask, we play"
So generally speaking: Up the LOD factor a bit and don't be an evangelist about it, that is my advise. Modern systems can handle that easily. It gives a lot smoother view.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Oops, I thought it was Saturday: my 'edit the text' hobby day.
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

The LOD factor war has been lost years ago IMHO. Most people want high detail for low LI.  So creators who want to sell, adapted like good DJ's: "You ask, we play"
So generally speaking: Up the LOD factor a bit and don't be an evangelist about it, that is my advise. Modern systems can handle that easily. It gives a lot smoother view.

Well, my problem is that I design spaces for other people, and I'm having trouble finding good stuff!  You have to design for the average person and not expect that every person visiting the designed area will know to, or be willing to, up their LOD settings.

My mesh skills keep increasing, and so eventually I might not need to buy anything elsewhere, but then I see this delightful looking item I just want so badly for this environment and I know it would take days to make it  :(

Anyway, in more recent years the creators I listed in response for our OP don't make collapsing mesh, and is why I buy from them when I can.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Thanks 1

I recommend Konoha. I have bought a lot of their products. If you want to cover your terrain with grass, the "Jest weeds" are for you. The shapes are plentiful, square, rectangle, rounds for bumps and hills, long, short, thick or spread out. I also use their "Wild Natoma grass" among many others. Lots of shapes to pick from. I can't praise the grasses enough. 

I am using them here, along with Edo freshwater, Plum trees, Agapanthus, Sunflowers and more. https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/438436-the-non-linden-home-picture-thread-mainland-only/?do=findComment&comment=2447967

I have left the land now. 😞

The Hisa Climbing Vines is also a thing I love. Rainforest Hideaway | Rainforest Retreat by Scarlet Creative… | Flickr

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 290 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.