Alts in the forums

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I initially started posting here with my alt Laskya in 2013, my idea, as I have said, was to "deceive" in a sense. I wanted to return to SL (and to the forums), but I also wanted to avoid certain, well, "entanglements" and also conflicts that I'd become involved in here over the years. I wanted, as I say, a "fresh start." I wasn't posting with my main account at the same time: the point was to replace Scylla.

I think I was detected within maybe my first 3 or 4 posts here, on the basis of my style, and I didn't bother protesting my innocence (although I also did not, at first, just admit it either; I later made some arch jokes about it that signaled a concession that, yes, I'd been found out).

My problem, I suppose, is that I didn't make any effort to "sound" different.

Do people with alts do that, generally? Do they consciously and deliberately change their sound of their voices so as to avoid being "matched" with their well-known main?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Because I'm an idiot and forgot to specify I was talking about my alt.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Do people with alts do that, generally? Do they consciously and deliberately change their sound of their voices so as to avoid being "matched" with their well-known main?

I would have to study it a bit more, but I think for actors it requires quite an investment into the role they are assuming to create a convincing persona of their character.  In some instances, they go a bit overboard and lose themselves to the role.  Having multiple accounts at the same time, would require a lot of raw talent I think.  

I can't help but think of the movie Tropic Thunder which shows this in a comedic fashion.  

The question I would have, is would anyone really put that much investment into a role for a forum such as SL?  Even if they had the will power, would the sort of person who wanted to convince others even have the talent to do so to begin with?  I can just imagine, someone spending weeks tweaking out the role, to be as convincing as possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I agree with @Istelathis Actors may change their temperament, how strongly or calmly they react and what they react to. Most people 'get into the role' every day, for example, people's behavior is usually more restrained at work. The only change is that some parts of the core personality are more pronounced or more subdued, but personality always shines through. We can't change who we are, we can only change how we are.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

When I initially started posting here with my alt Laskya in 2013, my idea, as I have said, was to "deceive" in a sense. I wanted to return to SL (and to the forums), but I also wanted to avoid certain, well, "entanglements" and also conflicts that I'd become involved in here over the years. I wanted, as I say, a "fresh start." I wasn't posting with my main account at the same time: the point was to replace Scylla.

I think I was detected within maybe my first 3 or 4 posts here, on the basis of my style, and I didn't bother protesting my innocence

Sounds like what I did with Bili, though I did try to protest my innocence, that was a mistake.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

[snip]

People who are used to doing roleplay or writing characters can probably make an alt sound different than their own normal voice. The problem, I think, is when one wants to speak as oneself, about what one really thinks and feels, rather than how a character might think and feel. Then one's natural voice is going to come out.

People who are used to putting on a false persona in real life might be able to keep up the illusion longer too, whether that's from being an actor or from being a deceptive person. Someone who's a sociopath, narcissist, habitual liar, or cognative empath might be able to act like they're someone else easier than someone's who's used to just being themself.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Casidy Silvercloud said:

This thread reminded me why I don't like soap operas, lmao. How many personalities does one person need? How the hell do you keep them all straight? So many questions I don't think I want answered. 

I'm reminded of the comedy TV show, "SOAP" lately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casidy Silvercloud said:

This thread reminded me why I don't like soap operas, lmao.

That is why there are different channels, because some people do like them. The forums work the same way, we can choose which threads to read and which one's to ignore. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BillFletcher said:

That is why there are different channels, because some people do like them. The forums work the same way, we can choose which threads to read and which one's to ignore. 

Since this is YOUR thread (as the OP), you can choose how much "drama", etc. is OK with you! 🙂 

One of the nice things about starting threads.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Since this is YOUR thread (as the OP), you can choose how much "drama", etc. is OK with you! 🙂 

One of the nice things about starting threads.  

Well actually all I was looking for was to get a feel about how others felt about posting pictures of an alt under the alts name rather then the main, but that question pretty much got swept out to sea by the tsunami.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cirleen said:

Actors may change their temperament, how strongly or calmly they react and what they react to. Most people 'get into the role' every day, for example, people's behavior is usually more restrained at work. The only change is that some parts of the core personality are more pronounced or more subdued, but personality always shines through. We can't change who we are, we can only change how we are.

I pretty much agree, but if we look at cases of those with Dissociative Identities (formerly known as Multiple Personality Disorder) we can see that the same personality does not always "shine through", as you say.

So I think, basing from the above, it all depends on how much someone identifies with their alt, how much they are "into them".

When actors are able to do this to a laudable degree we give them Academy Awards.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BillFletcher said:

Well actually all I was looking for was to get a feel about how others felt about posting pictures of an alt under the alts name rather then the main, but that question pretty much got swept out to sea by the tsunami.

But that's not the question you asked.  You did say that's what you did but your original post said...

On 7/22/2023 at 3:07 PM, BillFletcher said:

I was thinking about this recently, and yes i know I might be opening a can of worms that leads to this thread getting shut down or deleted, but oh well.

We all know that there are alts here in the forms, and probably there are some we don't even know about.

So my thought was I wonder what people think of that, not just, or even primarily whether people approve of alts here. What are people's opinions of how they should be handled. I know of a couple of guys with female alts who post pictures of those alts under their main account. I do that different posting pictures under the alt account. There of course may be aly accounts here no one knows about for sure. I suppose some people might post everything in the forums under and alt they do not use regularly to do SL. 

So anyway there it is. I know better than to try to direct the direction this takes after I hit the Submit Topic button.

I'm sure there are people who post all over the forums with an alt.  Picture threads included.  I guess they're just better at hiding that.  If one makes mistakes that out their alt, yeah, I'm going to wonder why they keep doing it.  Why the almost pathological need to post with all their alts.  If it were just pictures, I can sort of understand but when they then engage with others in threads as this other alt, it's deceitful.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If it were just pictures, I can sort of understand but when they then engage with others in threads as this other alt, it's deceitful. 

Personally, I don't feel it's deceitful if they engage with others in whatever name/alt they choose -- they are just representing different parts of themselves. My only problem is if they do so to gain an advantage over others.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, BillFletcher said:

Interesting! Well, if all the Alt does is post pictures and not join discussions / commentaries, nobody would know or care.

Bonus: You could even post every single picture using a "Dutch Angle" and nobody would look at it!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Personally, I don't feel it's deceitful if they engage with others in whatever name/alt they choose -- they are just representing different parts of themselves. My only problem is if they do so to gain an advantage over others.

I'm sorry but if someone I already know in SL creates an alt and then engages with me with that alt without my knowledge, that is deceitful.  I think most people would find it kind of cringe-worthy as well.  Why is it any different on the forums?  The forums aren't RP unless I missed the memo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

I'm sorry but if someone I already know in SL creates an alt and then engages with me with that alt without my knowledge, that is deceitful.  I think most people would find it kind of cringe-worthy as well.  Why is it any different on the forums?  The forums aren't RP unless I missed the memo.

Easy example scenario:

"User X" doesn't like me, but I really like them.

So, I'll make an Alt, come back and get to know "User X" as my Alt.  

I'll use what I learned about "User X" from my Main, and from my Alt, to form a relationship with them as my Alt.

Easy Peasy - I get what I want, and "User X" is none the wiser!  Welcome to Second Life!

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Hmmm...well I do see your point.

But for me it's dependent on how 'close' I am to that person, how much I consider them a friend, as to whether I'd feel a sense of betrayal.  Perhaps some who interact in various alts on the forum don't feel a forum is where there are real friends? And so they can't imagine others would have the perspective that all on a forum are friends, or a type of 'family'?

Edited by Luna Bliss

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Inworld that would depend for me. I have an alt whose backstory and RP is different than that of my main so when I ran into someone who I knew with my main, I didn't initially tell them. Later I did but regretted I did so because then it forced me out of the RP had with that alt and it had a negative effect on the relationship I had with that former friend because she felt I intentionally deceived her though the meeting was chance and it was she who initially contacted me in my alt form.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

but that's not the question you asked.

That was the question in my mind that lead to the OP, True the OP was expanded but we all know once these things are started they take on a life of their own and cant be contained anyway.

Edited by BillFletcher

1 minute ago, BillFletcher said:
24 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

but that's not the question you asked.

That was the question in my mind that lead to the OP, True the OP was expanded but we all know once these things are started they take on a life of their own and cant be contained anyway.

Perhaps, but it's always helpful if the "OP" (you, in this case) asks the actual question on their mind, so there's more chance in discussing it!  For instance, there's not a whole lot of discussion on "Alts posting picture threads" - and you had 11 pages so far to bring it up. ❤️ 

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.