Notes on the WelcomeHub

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

37 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Couple nitpicks:

- Fortnite's a battle-royale/third-person shooter, not FPS. FPS would be Call of Dewty, EFT, Overwatch, Valorant, etc. Nobody cares I know, but I'm pre-coffee and feel like nitpicking. Lemme alone. 😂

- Perhaps the poster was referring to Fortnite's Creative Mode, which is a sandbox mode players can build entire game worlds and experiences in to play with others, but who knows.

- Fortnite has zero to do with Second Life's Welcome Hub. Creative Mode has its own Welcome Hub-like thing, though, so maybe that's why it was brought up. Maybe.

- Current player counts in general are always pretty useless (except maybe in single-player games) since you've also got to account for bots and alts.

Grr damn kids. Back in my day we played Quake, a real game.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Yeah, don't really care too much concerning Fortnite's specific designation. The point is that a user attempted to compare Apples to Neptunian Atmospheric Particles.

A comparison that has no meaning whatsoever. None.

I agree! Not even remotely the same demographic, either. Players in their 20s get teased for being "too old" for Fortnite these days.

I was just uncaffeinated, which makes me very nitpicky, hence the boring clarification. 😂 

Numbers mean so little anyway. Just look at Everquest. Second Life is fine on that front. I don't think we'll ever gain mass appeal, and we don't really need to.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

- Perhaps the poster was referring to

Posting history is important, there is an infamous poster who is well known for constantly claiming that SL is dead and worthless because female avatars are allowed to say no to, or even worse, ignore, the demands of overentitled incel sex-pest IM spammers, especially those who park their avatars on a club dance floor, AFK, alt tabbed out, playing "NyteFart Ripped Off Teens Royale" while waiting for IM's offering them free SLex.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Posting history is important, there is a n infamous poster is well known for constantly claiming that SL is dead and worthless because female avatars are allowed to say no to, or even worse, ignore, the demands of overentitled incel sex-pest IM spammers, especially those who park their avatars on a club dance floor, AFK, alt tabbed out, playing "NyteFart Ripped Off Teens Royale" while waiting for IM's offering them free SLex.

Oh, well in that case, SL's been dead since 2005. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

47 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I agree! Not even remotely the same demographic, either. Players in their 20s get teased for being "too old" for Fortnite these days.

I was just uncaffeinated, which makes me very nitpicky, hence the boring clarification. 😂 

Numbers mean so little anyway. Just look at Everquest. Second Life is fine on that front. I don't think we'll ever gain mass appeal, and we don't really need to.

Oh no worries, I know how it can be before caffeine.

Age range in that instance isn't even the only demographic mismatch .... There's a lot of others there that just have no place here.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But..but..other games have more users than Second Life! The sky is falling!!1!!!

We are going to have to fix this one block at a time I'm afraid. 

Snapshot_208.thumb.jpg.bc91bc6c0ed97f028dd6252a0de6b224.jpg

Didn't LL used to have a minecraft clone?  I forget, I am pretty sure they had a few different games, right?  

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Didn't LL used to have a minecraft clone?  I forget, I am pretty sure they had a few different games, right?  

Coincidentally, that was almost exactly ten years ago: https://lindenlab.com/press-release/build-play-and-share-linden-labs-blocksworld-brings-imaginations-to-life-on-the-ipad

Blocksworld is a lighthearted build-and-play system for kids and grownups alike that brings the imaginative play of toy blocks to your iPad's touch-screen, allowing you to bring your digital creations to life. Snap together colorful 3D blocks to create anything you can imagine - from crazy characters to cars, space rockets, animals, robots, planes, monsters, and much more - and then bring your creations to life and play with them! Simple drag-and-drop controls make it easy to add interactivity and animations to anything you make. Tap “Play” and get ready to smile as your creations walk and talk, jump, drive, fly, shoot lasers, fire rockets, or even explode.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

That was a huge waste of time and money by LL management. What was management thinking? Probably that SL was dying and they needed a replacement game.

Edited by Randall Ahren
Correct Typo.

57 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

That was a huge waste of time and money by LL management. What was management thinking?

Here's the thing. Nobody knows what is gonna be a hit or miss. Ya just gotta pay your money and take your chances. When Instagram first released, I thought it stupid. Ha ha!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Randall Ahren said:

That was a huge waste of time and money by LL management. What was management thinking? Probably that SL was dying and they needed a replacement game.

I never tried it. This was during a mini buying spree while Rod Humble was CEO. There were other acquisitions, too. I remember they bought LittleTextPeople and its program Versu which I thought at the time could be a real asset for creating deep Second Life roleplay characters if only there were some better AI to author the interactive fiction as the storyline progressed. Either we now have what that needed or we wouldn't need it at all anymore, I'm not sure which.

Other acquisition and distractions included Desura, Creatorverse, Patterns, and dio. I now have no idea what any of those were. Earlier, under M, they bought Avatars United (and its creating studio, Enemy Unknown) which maybe influenced the "Feeds" part of Profiles, I guess. And later they bought Windward Mark which had already provided the tech behind Windlight.

No idea what they paid for these things but whatever it was I doubt they spent much energy in managing them (maybe they should have). That is, they probably didn't consume the colossal resources and opportunity that Sansar squandered, but yeah: none of them panned out. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I'm struggling to see the comparison between a multiplayer FPS and Second Life...

Fortnite isn't FPS. It's 3rd person like SL. The camera hangs over the avatar's right or left shoulder, depending on player preference. Like SL, Fortnite has building, avatars (called skins in Fornite), and ways to customize the avatars with attachments.

Fortnite was released in 2017 and is wildly successful. In terms of popularity, it's what SL could have been with the right decisions from management.

• Haha 4

41 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

Fortnite was released in 2017 and is wildly successful. In terms of popularity, it's what SL could have been with the right decisions from management.

So then SL would have been Fortnite instead and SL as we know it would not have existed or would have been created by others or there would have been two Fortnite type games competing with each other.

Not sure how that would be better?

LL didn't set out to make a game for millions of people, the makers of Fortnite obviously did.

That SL has been around for 20+ years says to me that it found it's niche and been successful in that space.  That niche just isn't as big as Fortnite.  That's what Meta has found out also.

The fact that you are even here suggests that Fortnite isn't all that you want either.

So what is it that keeps you here that you cannot get in Fortnite?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Randall Ahren said:

Fortnite isn't FPS. It's 3rd person like SL. The camera hangs over the avatar's right or left shoulder, depending on player preference. Like SL, Fortnite has building, avatars (called skins in Fornite), and ways to customize the avatars with attachments.

Okay, it's a TPS. Sorry.

It's a shooty shooty multiplayer game though, it's nothing like a virtual world. SL stands alone there, is there even any competition?

I'm not saying SL is perfect, far from it and I hate to be that person but... it's not a game, it has never been a game. Attracts a totally different audience.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

The fact that you are even here suggests that Fortnite isn't all that you want either.

So what is it that keeps you here that you cannot get in Fortnite?

A chat for 32 players in NyteFart Ripped off Teens Royale:

"over25lamepervodude69: Any ladeeesse I can haz the sex with?

31 other players: Ewww weird sad pathetic loser pervo over with teh gay, everyone pawn his over 25 ass!

System message: All 15 of your team mates have voted to enable Friendly Fire mode so they can pawn your over 25 ass"

Meanwhile In SL

In 20 IM boxes belonging to female avatars:

"Over25lamepervodude69 Resident: Can I has the SLEX!

18 female aviatars: auto hit mute/derender/AR buttons

1 female avatar: [censored torrent of humiliating anti overentitled incel sex pest IM spammer personal abuse]

1 female avatar: Erm... OK!"

Meanwhile on the forums:

Over25 lamepervodude69 wrote:

"I am shocked and outraged, that as late as 2023, LL still permit Lesbians to BLATANTLY discriminate against overentitled incel sex-pest IM spammers by REFUSING to have SLex with them. LL must act immediately to end this travesty of justice because SL is supposed to be a SOCIAL PLATFORM!"

/me coughs

Does that answer your question?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

/me coughs

I dunno .. are you saying you are Over25 lamepervodude69 and you come here to the forums instead of getting your ass kicked in Fortnite ? :D:P

He kinda writes like you do.

ETA : I know what you're saying .. don't bother to rant on.

Edited by Ted McGregor
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

/me coughs

It's certainly an answer and entertaining one.  I must have missed these posts from Randall, was that recent or some time back?

I was kinda hoping to see what they had to say for themselves but so far *crickets*

Edited by Gabriele Graves
Fixed quoting
  • Like 1

FPS, TPS, MOBA, MOSA, and on and on ... Irrelevant, just like the attempts to compare against Second Life (and vice versa).

The point: Second Life is not any of them. Second Life should not be altered to be like them. Second Life does not need to chase their demographic.

• Like 11

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.