International Women's Day in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

8 Jun  Thu  World Oceans Day

i like this one.  Be quite cool if on this day the Mole engine could create a Linden Experience that dumped a whole bunch of plastic trash in the Linden oceans, some of which are scripted to wash up on the beaches

then could click a Experience Vendor and get a HUD and a handheld net, and could run round and scoop it all up by bumping them. Get some points and go on a leaderboard

after 24 hours then all the remaining trash auto-deleted

maybe could be done in conjunction with one or other realworld clean oceans organisation

other activity could be chasing seals that are snagged in fishing lines and other plastics. Like you chase them with your net on the beach. When bump them, animate dive on them, then animate snip snip with scissors, and then after cleaning the seal, it runs off into the water and then auto-deletes. I often watch the people doing this for reals in Namibia on Youtube, I would really like to be able to go there one day and help with this

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I think even just giving visibility to resident run activities and coverage on official LL channels as they have done for Pride would be a great start. 

Just like with having your region feature in the Destination Guide, LL depends on residents letting them know what is going on with a particular group.  As @Fauve Aeonmentioned, groups wanting sponsorship need to be proactive.  Perhaps next year, all the places doing some sort of International Women's Day programs and events should get together a present that info to LL.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Just like with having your region feature in the Destination Guide, LL depends on residents letting them know what is going on with a particular group.  As @Fauve Aeonmentioned, groups wanting sponsorship need to be proactive.  Perhaps next year, all the places doing some sort of International Women's Day programs and events should get together a present that info to LL.

I'm not sure why you think sponsorship should be the requirement for having visibility of resident run events of this kind on LL channels. At the very least, it's a missed opportunity to contribute, in some way, to the socially responsible organization they would like to been seen as. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marigold Devin said:

Please stop it, Silent. You have actually hit a massive nerve.

If you are First Nations, then I apologize. If you are not, then all I can tell you is you don't know what it means for us when we say we are invisible to society.

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

If you are First Nations, then I apologize. If you are not, then all I can tell you is you don't know what it means for us when we say we are invisible to society.

ok, you win, happy now? FFS you really have no f*cking clue what life is like for me, and why should you know or care? But please stop putting in the boot. Just stop putting in the f*cking boot.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I'm not sure why you think sponsorship should be the requirement for having visibility of resident run events of this kind on LL channels. At the very least, it's a missed opportunity to contribute, in some way, to the socially responsible organization they would like to been seen as. 

Whether they choose to sponsor or not is not the issue.  Even promoting it on LL channels is the responsibility of those having the events to let LL know they are happening.  It's a bit naive to expect LL employees to go out and find all the events that might be happening for some specific day.  All I said was if all the organizers of Women's Day events got together a presented their events to LL, the it would have a better change of getting coverage.

The Pride Day events were quite probably organized and presented TO Linden Lab making it easier for LL to make a.post encompassing the many events.

1 minute ago, Marigold Devin said:

ok, you win, happy now? FFS you really have no f*cking clue what life is like for me, and why should you know or care? But please stop putting in the boot. Just stop putting in the f*cking boot.

I have no clue what you mean with this, but I am not going to continue helping you derail yet another thread.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's a bit naive to expect LL employees to go out and find all the events that might be happening for some specific day. 

I'm not talking about International Jazz Day here. International Women's Day, is globally known. Roughly half the population is made up of women and many women, like myself, have supported LL for years.  And many have championed LGBTQ rights for decades. So I'm going to have to disagree and say it should be something LL is invested in, and wanting to promote on their own, regardless of whether or not they are approached by anyone. 

And if it's not international women's day, then One Billion Rising, which I am sure they are aware of given the amount of information about them and their activities in SL. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, elleevelyn said:

get a HUD and a handheld net, and could run round and scoop it all up by bumping them. Get some points and go on a leaderboard

Why stop there, why not commission a glorious trash ball rolling/collecting game a la Katamari Damancy? Rare trash pieces, fabulous no-trash prizes from amazing sponsors.
Golden trophies.  
And a texture certificate pledge to reduce single use plastic use.
(I’d volunteer.)

IMG_1134.webp

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I would be reluctant to assemble and organize that big of a team for a single day event, and I wouldn’t expect this level of visibility right away for sure but perhaps something during women’s history month could be a good framework to base a similar-working event on, if someone were passionate about the cause and dedicated to organizing it. I guess I’d be looking to my own aligned contacts both in and out of SL for resources to actually hold the event and only then asking which Mole or Linden staff was a good contact person to start a conversation with to discuss sponsorship of it - if I was considering a project like this.

in 2010, I was one of three people organizing and running a 16 day event -- 16 Days of Activism against Gender Violence. There were, about 4 or 5 largish in-world groups / organizations involved (and quite a few smaller ones), but I don't think it ever even occurred to us to seek sponsorship from LL. I'm not quite sure what they could have contributed, as we had venues already. Publicity, I suppose, would have been nice, although most of our events were fairly well attended anyway -- the advantage of networked activist groups working together.

But that was then: SL is a very different place now, and that sort of grass-roots thing doesn't fly anymore mostly. If there isn't a hop-and-shop attached, it's not a "real" event. A couple of weeks ago, I was able to bring out about 70 people for an exhibition opening of feminist art -- but that was a two hour event, involving no more than a DJ and a gallery full of pics.

I know almost nothing about how Second Pride works, but I know that OBR in SL has, usually, a pretty large board, and a lot of sponsorships. I am not at all sure that LL is itself involved -- the only official LL participation I've noticed was one session of "Lab Gab" that featured an interview with some of the organizers. Possibly they provide the four sims that host the event for the few days it's on?

I have more than a few reservations about One Billion Rising -- not the SL event as such, but about the overarching premise of the RL event, and with some of the dangerous pitfalls of SL activism generally. (I blogged about it many years ago, actually.)

That notwithstanding, I'd happily get involved in something like this again were I approached. But I don't think I would be, except in some capacity as a volunteer, because these people are mostly "big players" these days -- as I say, there's not a lot of room for grass-roots organizations anymore.

In fairness, though, smaller organizations aren't really well-equipped to do this sort of thing. The 16 Days event nearly killed me -- well, certainly burned me out to the degree that I was out of SL six months after, for an extended time. Even in 2010, it was a lot of work. These days, you NEED a huge organization involved.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I think even just giving visibility to resident run activities and coverage on official LL channels as they have done for Pride would be a great start. 

They may have a protocol and guidelines in place for this type of promotion, it may be ‘by submission’ or have a series of requirements…and it may depend on who submits press material about it, when and in what form. I’m not sure how deep into automation/scheduling LL is on featuring their resident-made content like photo of the day postings etc, but for example, If there were a series of awareness-raising images inworld or an exhibition or a charity drive, I think it would be reasonable to submit press material about something residents were doing, but I don’t know that there’s anything like ‘Lab-sponsored embedded journalism’ inworld anymore. I also don’t know how their criteria is established for ‘yes this, no that’ on this kind of topic. That’s often custom tailored to each content calendar and business model. Lots feels opaque but then it’s a privately held company so that’s fine, nothing unusual. 
I'm sorry, I seem to be generating more questions. I’ll shh now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I have no clue what you mean with this, but I am not going to continue helping you derail yet another thread.

She's talking abut the Invisible Woman Syndrome, the kind of invisibility older women suffer from because they got old and gray and nobody cares to look at them twice anymore.

Edited by PermaRuthed
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

That there is a month for something advertised as being around the globe, doesn't mean it is celebrated everywhere.
Never heard of it before to be honest.

And that is a bit the problem I guess: Each and every day, week, month is a day, week, month for something. One can't celebrate everything.

What is today?

I'll drink to that

image.jpeg.1099e7b56b07d287caff62c3bb35375a.jpeg

Some time ago there was an inworld event (can't remember what it was called) that featured floats and booths featuring all the Southeast Asian countries - history, culture, clothes, food, etc. It was delightful. I think we should have an International SL Day. I'd love to wander through a SL world expo every year (can also be full of shopping of course). 😍

No objection to International Womens Day events but I don't know if it would have much fun factor tbh.

9 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Please don't .. one side of my family has a strong military tradition. Generations of easily enraged wife beaters and psychopaths with kids so abused they follow the same path.

No discrimination.

National service for men and women, equal opportunities for all.

Have you ever been on a 20 mile forced march with full gear? I have.

You'd not have the energy left to whine about pointless matters, and you'd learn to do constructive things with your time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

No objection to International Womens Day events but I don't know if it would have much fun factor tbh.

I don't see why not? Women aren't fun?

There's a conception that IWD is about being angry, chronicling social injustice, etc. And I suppose there should be an element of that sort of activism? But we have other occasions (there's OBR and the 16 Days of Activism I mentioned above) to get into those issues.

For me anyway, IWD is a celebration of women. I think we need a day of joyous celebration and, yes, fun. For one day of the year, maybe, we can talk about the positives of womanhood? And that can, and should, feature a "fun factor."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, belindacarson said:

No discrimination.

National service for men and women, equal opportunities for all.

Have you ever been on a 20 mile forced march with full gear? I have.

You'd not have the energy left to whine about pointless matters, and you'd learn to do constructive things with your time.

You ever had a carer military guy lose his mind over someone not using a coaster, and rage so hard at a child they lost bladder control in the middle of his perfect living room, while everyone else looks the other way. Half my family and their kids are like that. They can all walk miles with full gear.

I was 9.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

You ever had a carer military guy lose his mind over someone not using a coaster, and rage so hard at a child they lost bladder control in the middle of his perfect living room, while everyone else looks the other way. Half my family and their kids are like that. They can all walk miles with full gear.

I was 9.

Were you having a meltdown at having to do something worthwhile?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, belindacarson said:

Were you having a meltdown at having to do something worthwhile?

WTF .. I was being verbally abused and scared within an inch of my life for putting a cup down. I was 9.

This idea you have that military service produces better people is garbage, it might work for some in the officer class, but in my experience it's the exact opposite. Domestic violence from military spouses is incredibly common .. because, surprise surprise, they don't care about making better people with rigorous outdoor experiences, they care about making psychopaths who wont think twice. One entire side of my family is a broken disaster spanning 3 generations thanks to the British Army.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't see why not? Women aren't fun?

Women are fun. International Women's day.. meh

23 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And that can, and should, feature a "fun factor."

such as? Sell me the fun factor, I'm willing to be convinced 😃 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

WTF .. I was being verbally abused and scared within an inch of my life for putting a cup down. I was 9.

This idea you have that military service produces better people is garbage, it might work for some in the officer class, but in my experience it's the exact opposite. Domestic violence from military spouses is incredibly common .. because, surprise surprise, they don't care about making better people with rigorous outdoor experiences, they care about making psychopaths who wont think twice. One entire side of my family is a broken disaster spanning 3 generations thanks to the British Army.

I wasn't an officer.  I started out at the bottom and worked my way to sergeant.

Sheer hard work.  Makes a man out of you, or a woman out of you.

It instills that work ethic into you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.