Pride in Second Life 2023

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 363 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There's a relatively new "diversity" Pride flag. It includes Trans and "People of Color" Pride flag elements.

https://www.them.us/story/pride-flag-redesign

D7912790-AC77-4923-9288-E7666EA8DD90.jpeg

Personally, I prefer the simple rainbow flag as the diverse, all inclusive one. It's basically saying we need all colors to make a rainbow, just as we need all people to make up humanity. The other more specific flags are good too, so everyone can feel recognized and accepted for who they are. When someone is confused by them, this creates an opportunity to ask or look up what each one means, and in doing so they can learn more about other identities and communities.

I love the bisexuality flag colors best, and they're easy for me to work into a hair tie when I'm at a job that won't let us wear jewelry. Sometimes it helps to be able to subtly express where one stands on issues of LGBT+ issues without getting into a "political" discussion at work or with strangers. Flag pins and colors are a good way to do this. 🌈 🥳 ❤️ 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This is hard to explain, but the "individual" flag is not necessarily for people who are "looking at it", it is for the people who "need it".

This, pretty much. The flags, like any others, are typically for those who are in or allies of said group and mostly used to represent themselves. It's the same as someone driving around with the flag of Trinidad on their car or carrying it in the West Indian Day Parade. Being an onlooker and resident of NY who has actually attended said parade and visited the island, I can recognize it right away, but the flag owners don't care one bit whether I do or not (nor should they) as I'm not one of the people the flag is speaking to.

I'll be honest - I couldn't name half of the Pride flags currently in existence, nor do I need to. I'm not in those groups. I am, however, very likely to wear the rainbow and trans flag colors (and another set, now that I know it exists, lol), since those are the ones that apply to myself and friends.

That reminds me...I should try to find my actual flag in SL now that I know it's a thing...😏

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

That could either be agreeing or disputing, depending on how you look at it.

Hmm. Well, if the LGBT flags aren't for you (being non-LGBT), and really - who cares about "other state's flags"..then..I assume none of this should bother YOU.

So, why would it bother anyone else?  

Whether you agree or disagree, people either get confused or they don't by seeing flags they don't recognize. 

I don't let it bother me if someone else is confused. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I'm not going to signal with a typical flag to what sexual flavor I belong.
For asexuals, sexuality is such a tiny part of life, no need to bother.

It's not necessarily about to what you BELONG. It's also about whether you are an ALLY.

The Trans flag for instance - I've worn the Trans flag colors as an Ally many times, but I am not Trans.

A lot of "Straight" LGBT Allies fly Pride flags during the month.  To signal that they are Allies.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hmm. Well, if the LGBT flags aren't for you (being non-LGBT), and really - who cares about "other state's flags"..then..I assume none of this should bother YOU.

So, why would it bother anyone else?  

Whether you agree or disagree, people either get confused or they don't by seeing flags they don't recognize. 

I don't let it bother me if someone else is confused. 

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It's not necessarily about to what you BELONG. It's also about whether you are an ALLY.

The Trans flag for instance - I've worn the Trans flag colors as an Ally many times, but I am not Trans.

A lot of "Straight" LGBT Allies fly Pride flags during the month.  To signal that they are Allies.

That's what I mean. I don't know all the state flags, so I try to support them all equally by supporting the one main US flag.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This is a great example! I've lived in Florida 25+ years but could not identify the flag if asked.

The Texas flag on the other hand, is not so hard.

My state is the easiest for everyone to remember.  It's the only one not a rectangle!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2023 at 7:12 AM, Theresa Tennyson said:

stateflags.gif

Just like Love said the variations of the pride flags are needed, so are these needed.  The state flags are needed in state government buildings for programs that are provided by that state.  IOW, the program is not a federal program, it is a state program.  However, state government buildings usually fly both the state flag and the American flag in the state government building.  The state flags are needed on occasion.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/5/2023 at 7:28 PM, EliseAnne85 said:

I think most of us have heard about "the great flood" even if of different religions or no religion but I think that's where it's symbolism originated from but I did not want to have a religious discussion.  I am irreligious. 

You say this and yet, your first post was you pretty much stating that you are actually religious, and "believe" that the rainbow is a sign of gods covenant.

Secondly, the "great flood" has its roots in beliefs way older than the belief in your god and there is no evidence what so ever that shows that this so called "great flood" ever actually happened on the scale most christians actually believe it did. It was more likely a small local flood, probably the wearing away of a natural sea wall or tsunami that flooded a large area, at some point in ancient history. Worship of the rainbow, also predates your god by thousands of years, with some of the earliest evidence being found in the Babylonia/Sumerian era. None of these things are in any way special or unique to christianity.

Lastly, if you want to believe in your god and be a religious individual, that's entirely your choice. However, I would appreciate it if you didn't try to turn pride into some kind of veneration of christianity as a lot of the issues we are facing in the world at the minute is due to the christian right.

That's not to say you can't celebrate your god and worship your god in your own way, have it it! I just don't feel that pride is a place where religion is really helpful. Especially given the utterly hateful content found in that particular book.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

What is that one with the safety pin?

My guess was, people who identify as LGBT "babies"? It's a good question!

If the safety pin wasn't on a white background, my mind wouldn't have gone to "safety pin" + "diapers"..but more "safety"..

Should be interesting..

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My guess was, people who identify as LGBT "babies"? It's a good question!

If the safety pin wasn't on a white background, my mind wouldn't have gone to "safety pin" + "diapers"..but more "safety"..

Should be interesting..

Okay well if it's people who identify as babies and want to play with kids in playgrounds, then it gets a nope from me 🤣

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

Okay well if it's people who identify as babies and want to play with kids in playgrounds, then it gets a nope from me 🤣

I see RL "diaper" and "pup" play more as "fetishes" than LGBT "groups" anyway..at least IMHO 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

You say this and yet, your first post was you pretty much stating that you are actually religious, and "believe" that the rainbow is a sign of gods covenant.

Secondly, the "great flood" has its roots in beliefs way older than the belief in your god and there is no evidence what so ever that shows that this so called "great flood" ever actually happened on the scale most christians actually believe it did. It was more likely a small local flood, probably the wearing away of a natural sea wall or tsunami that flooded a large area, at some point in ancient history. Worship of the rainbow, also predates your god by thousands of years, with some of the earliest evidence being found in the Babylonia/Sumerian era. None of these things are in any way special or unique to christianity.

Lastly, if you want to believe in your god and be a religious individual, that's entirely your choice. However, I would appreciate it if you didn't try to turn pride into some kind of veneration of christianity as a lot of the issues we are facing in the world at the minute is due to the christian right.

That's not to say you can't celebrate your god and worship your god in your own way, have it it! I just don't feel that pride is a place where religion is really helpful. Especially given the utterly hateful content found in that particular book.

Thank you, I felt that EliseAnne's post was basically telling us "No, rainbows mean THIS because the Bible says THIS."

Which was not just off-topic, but more than vaguely insulting!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

What is that one with the safety pin?

AB/DL

(Adult Baby / Diaper Lover)

It's this...

people who identify as babies

but not this... 

want to play with kids in playgrounds

It has absolutely nothing to do with kids - a common misconception. It's about being a kid, not playing with kids.

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I see RL "diaper" and "pup" play more as "fetishes" than LGBT "groups" anyway..at least IMHO 🙂

It's a spectrum of things. For some it's just a kink or sexual fetish, for others it's a lifestyle or coping mechanism and has nothing to do with sex, for others it's both a lifestyle and a sexual fetish. There are many in the LGBT community who identify as ABDL, hence the dedicated flag and why you may see some dudes in diapers at some pride parades. Many LGBT people on the autism spectrum are also ABDL. It's more common than people may realize but most ABDLs try their best to hide it due to people making inaccurate assumptions about it, like some of the comments above - which makes including it in pride even more important because awareness creates understanding and removes stigmas. ✌️💛

Edited by davidventer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 363 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.