Patching bugs - who cannot relate?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Fun Fact: Admiral Grace Hopper is credited for "bug", after she found an insect that caused a fault in the mainframe she was working on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper

• While she was working on a Mark II Computer at Harvard University in 1947,[40] her associates discovered a moth that was stuck in a relay and impeding the operation of the computer. Upon extraction, the insect was affixed to a log sheet for that day with the notation, “First actual case of bug being found”. While neither she nor her crew members mentioned the exact phrase, "debugging", in their log entries, the case is held as a historical instance of "debugging" a computer and Hopper is credited with popularizing the term in computing. For many decades, the term "bug" for a malfunction had been in use in several fields before being applied to computers.[41][42] The remains of the moth can be found taped into the group's log book at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C.[40]

Sorry for pasting the text "as formatted", but sometimes it helps you non-dark mode readers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

While she was working on a Mark II Computer at Harvard University in 1947,[40] her associates discovered a moth that was stuck in a relay and impeding the operation of the computer

These were the blessed days when you could wipe out all the bugs at once from a computer with just an insect killer spray !

Nowadays, you must dig in megabytes of code to find just one of the gazillions of bugs... We need a virtual bug killer spray ! 🤣

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Nowadays, you must dig in megabytes of code to find just one of the gazillions of bugs... 

and when you do find and fix it, after an epic quest and days of work, either no one notices or they yell at you for not working harder.

• Sad 2

I hated when they fixed this one.. I thought it was the best, because you never knew you had it until you looked at yourself and others usually didn't know they had it either..

It was the best of times and the worst of times..

hehehe

3744236875_5b3e7be595_z.jpg

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 4:22 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

I hated when they fixed this one.. I thought it was the best, because you never knew you had it until you looked at yourself and others usually didn't know they had it either..

It was the best of times and the worst of times..

hehehe

3744236875_5b3e7be595_z.jpg

The best of bugs and the worst of bugs: 

Having others see you as naked or half naked while you think you're fully dressed.

On 6/2/2023 at 2:20 AM, Perrie Juran said:

Our software escapes and leaves in its wake a trail of bloodied QA personnel and users.

As a QA I must say you are dead wrong. If the software escapes it's us who leave a trail of bloodied developers along with the end users.

They say QAs have the heart of a developer, in a jar, on their desk.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.