Marketplace spring cleaning - an alternate approach

CrystalShard Foo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 493 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You may not be the best seller of Marketplace, but maybe you are the best seller of Residential Structures or Ground Vehicles.

If the categories got deep enough, that would increase competition in, say, the "Mustache trimming and shaving mugs" category (if there were one). 

Because you'd want to be higher ranked than the other seller.

2 hours ago, Flea Yatsenko said:

Basically, if they've logged in OR sold something in the last year, their store is untouched.

I read it that if they sold anything in last year -storefront remains BUT any item not sold within last year poofs.  That is "touching" in my book.

I'd suggest if the store has sales -so it stays --expand the item deletion to say, two or three years so people will have a cycle to get seasonal stuff or complete a collection.

• Like 1

I'm actually on LL's side in this, even as a merchant. If you're a merchant and haven't been here in 2+ years? You're not maintaining your store or your goods, simple as that.

LL should be turning your store off if you've not logged on in that time and have sold nothing in the past year. Note they're saying "disable" and not delete. They're simply turning off the "StoreVisible" flag or whatever in the database so your store is not rendered and shown in the MP, making the experience less junky. Disable implies you could come back and ask them to turn it back on. Seems okay to me.

I'd like to see LL improve the connection between in world and MP ... tie inventory count in an in world store to inventory available on the MP if you sell only one of an item (or a limited number of that item), which would allow shoppers to either buy in world or on the MP. In those cases right now, you can only sell in one of the two to maintain correct inventory levels.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Anthony Marques said:

When looking at a MP item, where can you see when it was first listed? I have clicked everything, but still cannot see a date when listed.

LL does not display the listing date. There are ways to estimate it, but nothing absolute.

For example, anyone could check the dates on reviews if there are any. Or you could check when the product images were uploaded to Marketplace. I've made a script that does this automatically and displays the oldest date.

image.png.639ac916336d56a0ccd2487fd13fbba6.png

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 2

Simply delisting stores, deleting/unlisting items off the marketplace is wanton destruction of SL history and this should be pushed back against at all costs. This is the worst possible option LL could have gone with and the OP's approach is fantastic and an easy 'solution' to a problem that only a few people honestly have.

Please ask yourself this: Is it really worth saving a few people who are a loud minority that complain about a lack of sales support some trouble in exchange for destroying history.

I think you'll find the answer is no, no it is not. Please consider OP's alternative approach.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shenanigans said:

Simply delisting stores, deleting/unlisting items off the marketplace is wanton destruction of SL history and this should be pushed back against at all costs. This is the worst possible option LL could have gone with and the OP's approach is fantastic and an easy 'solution' to a problem that only a few people honestly have.

Please ask yourself this: Is it really worth saving a few people who are a loud minority that complain about a lack of sales support some trouble in exchange for destroying history.

I think you'll find the answer is no, no it is not. Please consider OP's alternative approach.

We just went through months of SLMP search being completely borked and showing outdated and irrelevant results. The more bad listings SLMP team has to sift through to give you good search results, the more difficult it is for them to show you relevant products.

I don't think people realize how many stores and products exist from people who tried making a store, tried making a few products, they never sold, and SLMP has to index and organize them all. I still sell sculpty stuff to this day. People are buying older products, whether by mistake or by choice. You can poke around random stores by changing the number at the end of a store URL. I spent time doing it, for every one legitimate store with something remotely worth buying there's 3 stores selling gestures, 3 selling songs (some of which are old and no longer have copyright), very poorly done textures done in photoshop, etc.

I really don't think people understand how much old stuff and failed stores are on SLMP. People complain about search being bad and all this stuff, of course it's bad when SLMP has to index and organize stuff from 14 years ago that hasn't been bought ever.

This hurts customers just as much as merchants. Someone new to SL who goes to search for something and sees outdated old stuff is going to give up.

I used to think history was being deleted too until I started visiting random stores by the URL and store ID. I hate to sound rude but, well, this cleaning isn't as serious as you think it is.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Shenanigans said:

They aren't "destroying" a blessed thing. De-listing an item doesn't make it go away in-world, it just means it won't be available to be purchased in one specific way.

• Like 3

On 5/10/2023 at 11:46 AM, Shenanigans said:

Nothing is being deleted.  If a store owner does return, they can have their store reenabled.

On 5/10/2023 at 10:39 AM, Dakota Linden said:

Greetings!

If you have been inactive for a while, your store will be disabled. 

Submit a Marketplace Support Ticket and an agent can get your store re-enabled for you quickly. 

Cheers all!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I see it different: at first - okay this make sense what Linden try to make. The other side is that I have not enough trust at all if this will work right then. I remember the last big Issue with the Final that we live now 2 and 1/2 month with messy Lists in our Stores in Marketplace. I would prefer that they would fix this first and their Issue and then do the next step. The old stuff is maybe a problem and I understand their way to go and do something against this. But sorry, when I make such a ***** at last - should this the first priority to give the Merchants their working good Lists back.

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/8/2023 at 1:23 PM, Victorian Magic said:

I read it that if they sold anything in last year -storefront remains BUT any item not sold within last year poofs.  That is "touching" in my book.

I'd suggest if the store has sales -so it stays --expand the item deletion to say, two or three years so people will have a cycle to get seasonal stuff or complete a collection.

• This means that if a product has sold within the past year or has not sold but the seller has logged in within the last two years, that product listing will remain available on the marketplace.  If a store has products, which have sold within the past year, it will remain enabled.

So according to this individual items from a store won't be removed. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 493 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.