Are You a Normie or a Non-Normie in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

40 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

In a more btw context rather than turning it into a personal mission against its use.

It's origins predated 4chan or other online groups as I recall the word being used by people in various recovery groups for years before 4chan was around and used to refer to people who were not saddled with the problems or issues relevant for the group. Being a "normie" wasn't a bad thing as it simply meant you were not an alcoholic or a drug addict or subject to one of the myriad of other issues that some look to recover from. Just because some group or another commandeers a word for negative purposes doesn't mean the whole culture should then give it credibility by subscribing to its new definition.

Wow, it's interesting you mention that.  It's under the arrow of 'what is an example of a Normie' in the link below.

That is one of the explanations I came across when searching "what is a Normie".  So perhaps the word is a form of the word "square"?  

Wanted to add:  I've never heard this word in my country.  I've only heard it perhaps over the past six months.  The first few times were here on SL.

What is an example of a Normie?

a normal person, who behaves in the same way as most other people in society: I wish I wanted to be normal, because then I could just be a normie, and I'd still have friends. I have realized that normal guys just don't understand addiction and this is why I may never date a normie again.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Just because some group or another commandeers a word for negative purposes doesn't mean the whole culture should then give it credibility by subscribing to its new definition.

Yeah, I don't want get into this again, as it was a digression that we've left behind.

I'll just note, again, that language changes, and that neither you nor I get to pick and choose our own meanings: if our auditors / readers don't possess the same views of that word, we've simply failed in our communication.

We could both probably produce scores of words that once meant one thing, but now mean quite another. The process by which compliments gradually turn into insults even as a name: pejoration. Try using the word "nice," for instance, in its older sense of "precise" or "exact": "She made very nice distinctions." Let me know how well you're understood. (Jane Austen has a whole passage in Northanger Abbey about the shift of that word's meaning.)

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2

I find the term to be pretty typical of human behavior in an attempt to establish some sort of pecking order with one another.  The more you fit into certain groups, while setting yourself apart from others, the more social cred you get in that group.  It is a favorite of the gatekeepers as they think it gives them some sort of control over others and say as to who belongs or doesn't to their collective.

I think the reason the term bothers me so much, is just how normal it all is as well as expected when it comes to group dynamics.  It is exactly what I would expect, and typical behavior I see in most groups.  Whenever I see the word being tossed around, I die a little bit inside.  I felt the same way when people used to call one another conformists as well.  When I see others being called a normie, what I really hear is that someone is just telling someone else they don't belong, which is kind of cruel imho.

Might as well hang a sign outside of the club house that reads "No girls allowed" or "Voice verified required" 😋

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Kind of reminds me though of when I was in secondary school (high school), and Kevin O'Neil asked me "Are you a First Year", or at least that's what I thought he'd said, and I responded with

That's classic Kevin O'Neill's lingo, they're sick like that 😂😜

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Wanted to add:  I've never heard this word in my country.  I've only heard it perhaps over the past six months.  The first few times were here on SL.

Myself, I've never heard the actual term Normie, used outside of the forums yet..When I first heard it, I figured it was another word shortcut that we see so much of these day's.. Kind of like how people are with acronyms and abbreviations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I find the term to be pretty typical of human behavior in an attempt to establish some sort of pecking order with one another.  The more you fit into certain groups, while setting yourself apart from others, the more social cred you get in that group.  It is a favorite of the gatekeepers as they think it gives them some sort of control over others and say as to who belongs or doesn't to their collective.

I think the reason the term bothers me so much, is just how normal it all is as well as expected when it comes to group dynamics.  It is exactly what I would expect, and typical behavior I see in most groups.  Whenever I see the word being tossed around, I die a little bit inside.  I felt the same way when people used to call one another conformists as well.  When I see others being called a normie, what I really hear is that someone is just telling someone else they don't belong, which is kind of cruel imho.

Might as well hang a sign outside of the club house that reads "No girls allowed" or "Voice verified required" 😋

I think true power is finding comfort in yourself and recognizing the many different ways the world tries to manipulate and suck that out of us from all directions for it's own gain..

The one of the great things about children is, they are so young that they aren't tainted by it yet..

I see the same things in a lot of older people I've met too.. They've been through it all and  sifted through the clutter and thinned out things to what is really truly important to themselves..

The short version plays out in second life every day..  hehehehe

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"Dinkies think they are special, but they are just normies."

Dinkies think they are special?  Where do you get that?

Dinkies are an avatar that is not allowed in most places.  We are basically the out-casts.

We have to adapt because we are out-cast, not because we are special.

And, thinking about this word how it *can be* used derogatory, it doesn't say it always is, is that the normies are the ones who feel hurt while the other party is really the out-cast.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

55 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

There are no normies. Not a single one. Everyone has some unique weirdness.

I agree with you in that all of us have our idiosyncrasies.  

But, there are certain groups that are ostracized for what? being even weirder?, and, as far as I can tell from this forum, it's the avatars that are other than human who are ostracized and have called the hooman's "Normie's".  Well, that's because SL's demographic is largely human, so that's the norm and accepted just about everywhere.  And, I never saw the word Normie being used in a mean way.  

Even one of the groups for Dinkies needs moderators to over-see invites because some clubs will post in our group that they are Tiny/Dinkie friendly but it's a trick.  It's a trick to get Tinies and Dinkies there so they can put them down.  I don't go to places I don't know for that reason.

But, even so, with this stigma many have towards avi's other than human, there are many places and events we enjoy.  And the big events in SL for everyone, where all kinds of avi's go, has always been cool and gone off without problem.  

There are less griefers in SL than there used to be.  Maybe it's because a lot of us left the sandbox and create offline.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

16 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Well, for me, it was human only and I thought I'd never be anything but human.  I couldn't relate to being a non-human character at all for a very long time even though I did NOT want to date in SL and didn't like the abrupt IM's I used to get. AND, my profile even stated I don't date in SL but I still got abrupt and inappropriate IM's.  So, people wouldn't even take the time to read my profile.   And, I pretty much went to all the mainstream clubs that were very popular.  It took me awhile to start typing keywords into the inworld search and go out and look for people who had other interests other than, let's say Top 40, which most of the main clubs advertised played.     

I finally, once I started using keywords in the inworld search, found a whole great big, diverse SL to explore and experience.  And, then, one day I became a Dinkie and used keywords to find where the Dinkies are and it was one of the best experiences of my entire life.  Dinkies/Tinies are very music-orientated and most do NOT play Top 40.  And, the Dinkies and Tinies are also very art-oriented so that opened a whole new SL for me.  

I left the "what's happening now" thing and ventured off on my own and ended up finding some incredible experiences.  Now, in SL, I try all kinds of things and have dropped all the unexplainable hang-ups I had about being something other than human in SL.  I thought people were weird for liking non-human avatars.  Then, I changed and it's great and freeing.

I'm a bit tired, that's about the best I could do.

People, activities, or ideas that are part of the mainstream are regarded as the most typical, normal, and conventional because they belong to the same group or system as most others of their kind.

The culture of a particular organization or group consists of the habits of the people in it and the way they generally behave.

Now put the two together and show me where there is a mainstream culture in SL. Tinies and Dinkies are not a mainstream culture so please do not name them.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

People, activities, or ideas that are part of the mainstream are regarded as the most typical, normal, and conventional because they belong to the same group or system as most others of their kind.

The culture of a particular organization or group consists of the habits of the people in it and the way they generally behave.

Now put the two together and show me where there is a mainstream culture in SL. Tinies and Dinkies are not a mainstream culture so please do not name them.

I think the mainstream culture of SL is based around humans as the main and largest group and their habits may be geared towards coupling and looking gorgeous and their behavior, from my experience as a human, was back then to keep your bits covered and be as drama-free as possible (per the club rules back then) so I'd think the behavior was suggested by clubs and sometimes in group chat to think of others as well as yourself.  And, to not spam with gestures or have those baby talker things.  lol  Sorry, it made me laugh out loud literally.  I hope baby talkers died.  

So, to sum up behavior, I think what is known as "the golden rule" was the mainstream creed.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Is it normie to find this a terrible boring thread?

When people are using the word "Normie" on this forum I don't think they are suggesting others are boring.  I was human in SL, it was not boring.  The boring or not boring is up to us no matter what we are.  I think they are suggesting you are the mainstream, the norm of SL, which is what probably 80 to 90% human?  I think they are saying they are an outside fringe in comparison to where they can actually go in SL and are often not allowed in places and you cannot understand them.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Istelathis said:

Then there are those of us who don't "fit in" anywhere. SL or RL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.