Bring back Ratings!! - A Proposal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'll just think of anyone using any rating system in their profile the same way I think of those people with the 'I've been head patted 3746563 times' over their noggins.  People to avoid at all costs.   Pretty sure I won't be alone in that thought.

The head patting or rating system on a profile is no different than the responses most of us including yourself, use for the different posts throughout the forums. No reason one should have issues with one and not the other if it is warranted.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The head patting or rating system on a profile is no different than the responses most of us including yourself, use for the different posts throughout the forums. No reason one should have issues with one and not the other if it is warranted.

The head patting is for absolutely nothing aside from the LOOK at ME points and not for any meaningful interaction, social or otherwise.  The reaction buttons are for something tangible, a person's post.  Not the same whatsoever.  🙄

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

That's not from Linden Lab. They sold Sansar to another company.

I know, but I got emails about it before too, and from ll in the past.  Whoever is doing the marketing for sansar now, is just as bad as ll is, because it's in the exact same style as ll's own emails I've gotten. Maybe they sold that person off with sansar, ha.

Edited by Caeruleiae

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

The reaction buttons are for something tangible, a person's post.  Not the same whatsoever.  🙄

Why, who decides what a rating means .. does the person giving it and the person receiving it even have to agree ..

It's not like these very forums don't have a baked in daily popularity contest that's designed explicitly to create a sense of personal achievement and investment.

.. I wonder who's winning today.

• Like 2

all the participation revealed here in this thread is heart warming. everyone has excellent ideas for how this game/platform can be made better. we're all lucky to be able to share our passions and visions. but, i don't know how many times i have to state it, LL has no intention or ability to actively pursue any type of user/developer interaction. that ship has sailed. this aint 2005.

if any part of the existing system is broke, they might begrudgingly get around to fixing it (going by JIRA records, that's a solid maybe) but they certainly won't allow the comprehension they have of we lowly users to be anything more than entertainment.

cudos to the Linden coders who actually give a damn. but, the occupied seats peaking their heads in are not here to listen without having policing as their primary inititative.

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Pretty certain I saw a post comment stating, "surveys / polls don't work". What, LL is supposed to conduct business based on telepathy, JIRA's, intelligentsia who show up to meetings, and trying random things?

A survey of SL-Intelligentsia-Wannabes showed that 19 out of 20 felt that all decisions about saving SL should be handled by a non-democratically un-elected sub-committee of 3, headed by them selves as Chair Person with the casting vote...

/me rolls her eyes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

careful what you wish for .. because what you just described, that's called advertising in the viewer.

Sansar are going all in on that and people will pay attention, not to how popular or successful it is, because it wont be, but for how they attempt to pull it off.

I think we can all agree we don't want ads.

I really do not understand what you mean.

13 hours ago, Obic Malaprop said:

I remember ratings and I'm not a fan of bringing them back. 

But I do like the idea of monthly/yearly/daily achievements. Wouldn't need to be premium only, wouldn't need to have a linden payout. Can be totally opt-in. 

Visit 10 mainland regions, visit 100 mainland regions, teleport 100 times, 1000 times, fly the equivalent of the circumference of the earth. Visit these 5 lab selected locations and stay for x time, Rez a cube, apply a texture, buy an item from an in world vendor, change your height, etc. (the opportunities are vast and could appeal to all kinds of 'gameplay') Come up with entertaining names for them, the data is already collected (at least for those who get the rezday stats email, I never have). 

Can even have special "first month" achievements as a way to guide new players to try out different SL activities. I feel something like that would encourage emergent social interactions far more than the rating system ever did. Especially if there is no tangible reward.

In part this reminds me of Hoppy Pay which was around late 2007 to 2008 or not long after that. It was marvellous fun for this newbie. A simple HUD on the screen and all I had to do was push a button that offered me a teleport to a random place and all I had to do when there was feed back to the HUD's owner whether it was a club or a shop or whatever, and it paid me random amounts of L$ plus unexpected bonuses just for exploring, and I always loved exploring. Mostly this was a solitary activity, but I did also make some friends along the way, others using the Hoppy Pay HUD, and some who just happened to be at the venue/shops already. 

There was no badge of honour/dishonour, no league tables, just something an individual could choose to use when and where they wanted. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

Implementing something like this has an actual high chance of me leaving SL for good. And if not then I'd downgrade to basic faster than you can blink at the very least.

Popularity contests suck.

I can't rightly remember what caused me to downgrade several years ago, but I certainly have no regrets (and I have more money for RL cake). 

• Like 2

I have an excellent idea which would enhance the current proposal:  Allow (possibly anonymous) "Reviews" with the Ratings!

This will lead to all kinds of fun things in the Reviews, for instance:

- "XXX is baby-daddy to all my Prim babies. They never pay child support but, I'd do it all again in a minute."

- "XXX is my favorite Alt! I always give them A++"

- "I learned everything I know about griefing from XXX!"

- "XXX is a harsh Mistress/Master, but gives excellent After-Care."

- "XXX was my first love in Second Life.  They don't know it, but I stalk them all the time."

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Why, who decides what a rating means .. does the person giving it and the person receiving it even have to agree ..

It's not like these very forums don't have a baked in daily popularity contest that's designed explicitly to create a sense of personal achievement and investment.

.. I wonder who's winning today.

If it doesn't mean anything specific, what's the point aside from getting you 100L a  month and bragging rights?  They should do away with any daily count or rating in the forums, as well.  Only the one on one reactions matter here.  Yes, I found what you said Funny, Confusing, Sad, etc.  

I'm sure people will just be walking around with "Rate My Profile" over their heads and still not engaging with anyone.  

Instead of relying on others to make those rating, completing certain things to gain a point would make more sense.  As LL already has records of our activity in SL since they tell you how many places you visit and some other info I don't recall, use that as a metric to gain points.  Standing in one spot while AFK collecting points?  POINTLESS.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

They should do away with any daily count or rating in the forums, as well.  Only the one on one reactions matter here.  Yes, I found what you said Funny, Confusing, Sad, etc.  

I thought the Forum daily ratings were indeed basd on reactions. You "win the day" based on # reactions, not on # posts. 

..Right?

20 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I thought the Forum daily ratings were indeed basd on reactions. You "win the day" based on # reactions, not on # posts. 

..Right?

They are yet there is no need at all for a running count or "win the day".  Just one person telling another what they think about a specific post is all that's needed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

But, you could be engaged with a lot of RolePlay..(maybe not while AFK??)..and getting ratings for that.

Chances are, that would be a very small percentage.  I suppose it could be used as a virtual little black book.  Give ratings on people's ERP?  😄

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I have an excellent idea which would enhance the current proposal:  Allow (possibly anonymous) "Reviews" with the Ratings!

This will lead to all kinds of fun things in the Reviews, for instance:

- "XXX is baby-daddy to all my Prim babies. They never pay child support but, I'd do it all again in a minute."

- "XXX is my favorite Alt! I always give them A++"

- "I learned everything I know about griefing from XXX!"

- "XXX is a harsh Mistress/Master, but gives excellent After-Care."

- "XXX was my first love in Second Life.  They don't know it, but I stalk them all the time."

Oh good-god, no.  We don't need the above, Love.  

One thing SL peoples, Coffee's idea JIRA is supposed to get people out to mingle more by possibly going to rating's parties.  Parties cost money unless you plan to have no DJ.  And this JIRA proposal offers a Premium person up to 100 linden a month.  100 linden a month won't even cover a tip for one party with a DJ.  

LL devs needs to get with the times here about how much things cost.  It's 2023, not 1980.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Oh good-god, no.  We don't need the above, Love.

While it seemed like a joke, the "serious" part of my suggestion is: Allowing "reviews" with Ratings (whether anonymous or not), gives Ratings a "context". And gives the "Rated-person" something to feel good about. Plus, including a "Review"/ "Comment on Rating" option is a form of social interaction (which was the original point of the proposal, as I understand it).

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

While it seemed like a joke, the "serious" part of my suggestion is: Allowing "reviews" with Ratings (whether anonymous or not), gives Ratings a "context". And gives the "Rated-person" something to feel good about. Plus, including a "Review"/ "Comment on Rating" option is a form of social interaction (which was the original point of the proposal, as I understand it).

Do you really think that "reviews" are going to give people something to feel good about? Have you ever read Virtual Secrets. Sure...why not bring that trash INTO Second Life.  Giving ratings and reviews are NOT social interaction.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That will never happen, imo.  It's a griefer's tool and could cost LL far too much to ever let that happen.  People can make a special area about a person and write their feelings in their PICKS area.

Edited by EliseAnne85

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It didn't "seem like a joke", it seemed like yet another bloody awful idea for a toxic drama fest of verbal downvoting other people.

Your "humorous examples" show clearly why this proposal needs encasing in a 40gallon drum of bullet resistant glass and dropping into the deepest part off the Marianas Trench...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zalificent said:

It didn't "seem like a joke", it seemed like yet another bloody awful idea for a toxic drama fest of verbal downvoting other people.

Your "humorous examples" show clearly why this proposal needs encasing in a 40gallon drum of bullet resistant glass and dropping into the deepest part off the Marianas Trench...

Keep in mind, the original proposal has absolutely no option for "down-voting", "negative Ratings", etc. Only "positive" Ratings. 

I think several in the thread have assumed there was an option for "negative Ratings" - there is not.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.