Destination guides? Pffft. Personal Ads !!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Ads like this ^^ or are you entirely playing around, especially regarding the financial arrangement part?  LOL

The quoted portion was generated entirely by a chatbot, I simply asked the chatbot to generate a response to the OP in the form of an ad, as well as to include pricing options along with a disclaimer at the end.  I'm fairly opposed to ads myself, due to an invasion of privacy that so many of them use via tracking.  I imagine if LL were to place ads in SL what we would see on the multitude of banners would be personalized based upon our purchasing profiles, data from our SL profile, along with a history of our teleport location, which groups we belong to, and finally chat logs indicating our interests and so on.   (All of which are on SL regardless, so it wouldn't matter that much - so long as they stay with LL and not sold)

Because I often use games inside of SL that give you $L while you play them, the ads I would see in SL would be all over the place because I go to to all sorts of different parcels when I am fishing, or playing Lindo - not to mention I belong to several groups that require you to join in order to participate in their events.

Edited by Istelathis

16 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

But, you are speaking, Coffee, I'd gather mostly for the human avatars in regards to ads

Oh not at all ..  A personals section in provided by LL would have to cater to all avatar and relationship types.

"Handsome 2ft Gryphon seeks platonic friends online 8 - 12 pm SLT for clubbing, exploring and talking about foxes."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Oh not at all ..  A personals section in provided by LL would have to cater to all avatar and relationship types.

"Handsome 2ft Gryphon seeks platonic friends online 8 - 12 pm SLT for clubbing, exploring and talking about foxes."

Well, I kind of like the idea.   

7 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I'm fairly opposed to ads myself, due to an invasion of privacy that so many of them use via tracking.  I imagine if LL were to place ads in SL what we would see on the multitude of banners would be personalized based upon our purchasing profiles, data from our SL profile, along with a history of our teleport location, which groups we belong to, and finally chat logs indicating our interests and so on.  

Why would it include all the above when it sounds like it would prompt us to respond to the ad?  I'm not sure how it would  work but it sounds like fun.  

While I like the idea of personal ads (it would solve the "How do I find a friend/Mistress/Sugardaddy here?" questions), I fail to see how it could be used for promoting places.

When I browse the destination guide, I'm not searching it for particular names or keywords, I'm basically just browsing the pictures for a pretty place to visit and take photos. I don't think it would be possible to handle a search of personal ads in a similar way.

I mean, they already tried it with the "Places" thing and it was a huge flop.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Why would it include all the above when it sounds like it would prompt us to respond to the ad?  I'm not sure how it would  work but it sounds like fun.  

These ads would likely try to find you a match based upon your behavior, built from your in world data and apply them to personalize what you would see on banners spread across the world.  Of course, the more you pay for your ad, the higher the chance others will see it.

I've decided one more feature to be introduced should be generated by OpenAI to block in world ads:

Attention Second Life community! Tired of seeing ads while you navigate the virtual world? Introducing a seamless browsing experience with our ad-free package.

Choose from our two cost-effective options to get started:

* Basic: $5/month for ad-free browsing
* Premium: $2/month for ad-free browsing 

Enjoy a more pleasant and uninterrupted virtual experience today!

And if you change your mind, it's easy to opt-out at any time. Simply log in to your account and adjust your subscription settings.

Start enjoying a distraction-free Second Life now!

Disclaimer: The ad-free package is optional and provided as a paid service by OpenAI. Participation in this package does not affect navigation or other in-world features.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist creating an ad - it is too much fun)

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

These ads would likely try to find you a match based upon

I was assuming we are searching the ads and then we answer or don't, like the ads are generated by us just writing them ourselves and it's random, not AI involved, because we choose randomly which ad to respond to.  I don't see a need for them to be everywhere, just in one place.  But, I have no idea how it would/could work.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

The real problem here is disuse. None of these things will work if nobody uses them, and that would take a lot more initiative than I usually see in SL. People generally want things done for them, so I propose a system of force teleporting people to destinations based on keyword and profile matches. "Oh, you like detective stories and exploring wilderness? Welcome to The Sex Crime Murder Forest."

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I just wonder if it would get gamed somehow, how they would game it, who and why..

There would have to be zero appeal for a business or scrubbs to want to game it I would think.. Otherwise they will and will bury everyone else.

I was wondering that myself but I think of this in real time, so it's not some dead cold ad with no one online.  So, if it's in real time for a real time *meet* who would want to game is as it would be for a person-to-person meet for company or chat?  

However, I'm not sure if Coffee is running a parody thread or if she is actually serious.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I was wondering that myself but I think of this in real time, so it's not some dead cold ad with no one online.  So, if it's in real time for a real time *meet* who would want to game is as it would be for a person-to-person meet for company or chat?  

However, I'm not sure if Coffee is running a parody thread or if she is actually serious.

It would have to be where commercial advertising in it would be pretty much pointless for sure..

It sounds like a good idea, parody or not..It just needs to be useless to some other things in second life is all..

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 10:26 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

Cunning plan.

Take the destination guide and quietly forget it exists.

Second Life isn't about contemplating some pile of stale prims, it's about who we share the stale prims with.

I have been trying for a year to get my region, the WHOLE region in destination guide. I am drowned by stores and godawful 1024 parcels with a whole lot of nothing except high traffic ... Maybe if I put it as a personal add.... looking for love.... so I do not have to sell.....

Edited by SpiritSparrow Skydancer
  • Like 2

On 1/29/2023 at 8:00 PM, Rowan Amore said:

To me, local chat with a group of people I know is fine.  Local chat with a room full.of people I don't know is totally not my thing.  I don't walk into a room full of people in RL and starting speaking loud enough for every person to hear.  Why would I do that in SL?  That's just my take on it.

Sings Cheers theme tune "where everyone knows your name"

That place has been a full days travel away for me in rl these past 20 years , but i found it for a little while in sl .

As with rl some i liked and some i didn't and im sure it was reciprocal , but there was a sort of disjointed consistency to it all . A community in which to fit or at least find your place .

As random as it may be open/public chat works ,  I'm pissed of because i have a flat tyre and someone i don't know is over the moon because they just passed their driving test . What can i do but congratulate them and with a smile remember when i'd have walked 20 miles to collect a motorbike with a flat tyre aiming to push it home if someone had said i could have it  .

A single relevant sentence provokes opinion and prompts chatter , suggest you could murder a bacon butty in any group chat and watch the munchie virus spread until people are sharing full recipes not with friends but with random strangers who may become acquaintances , and its acquaintance not friendship that makes a community .

Destination guide is so newbies can kill some time checking out places that don't interest them much .

On 1/29/2023 at 7:26 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

Create a personal ads section instead.

Ok by me. I only use the Destination Guide to see if the things I have submitted to the Destination Guide made it into the Destination Guide. Also, the ChatGPT ad above is a little off. It fails to include the standard refrain "Soon".

• Like 2

On 1/29/2023 at 3:26 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

Cunning plan.

Take the destination guide and quietly forget it exists.

Create a personal ads section instead.

Let people post personal "classified" ads right from the viewer from the avatar they are using. G rated for seeking friends, M for everything romantic or adulty, A for the findommes and sugar daddies.

Stick these someplace people can find them. Hang a lantern on it. Feature it right out the gate as part of the new user experience.

Second Life isn't about contemplating some pile of stale prims, it's about who we share the stale prims with.

Didn't there used to be this? I remember 'classified ads' back in 2017 when I first joined since I was a bit lost and ended up finding these, they were on the website I think but not sure if that was translated to some in-viewer form as well.

On 1/29/2023 at 6:14 PM, Arielle Popstar said:

I'd use the Destination guide if it showed where people were actually chatting in Local instead of just avatars standing/dancing without a word being uttered.

While I am positive that eventually this would be gamed (just make the bots talk to each other to boost some metric) something like this would be very valuable. One of the biggest issues with SL is that feeling of not knowing where to go to to find others to begin with, it probably results in so many people just giving up in the first day or two.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ezbeharra said:

People generally want things done for them, so I propose a system of force teleporting people to destinations based on keyword and profile matches.

Please! I have enough trouble getting Alexa to leave me alone with all her helpful suggestions for things I might like to buy/read/watch/listen to/do to her.

• Like 1

I think essentially, what some people (not the OP) in this thread are looking for is the same as the search feature that already exists in the viewer and website:

https://search.secondlife.com/

There is a personals section in here:

https://search.secondlife.com/?query_term=example&search_type=classified&classified_category=9&maturity=gma

I would assume one could also post in the wanted area:

https://search.secondlife.com/?search_type=classified&search_type=classified&classified_category=7&maturity=gma&query_term=Cheese+Burger%2C+extra+pickles&sort=

Unfortunately, my quest for a cheese burger with extra pickles  yielded no results. 

I'm not sure about other viewers, but in firestorm the search can further be examined and sorted by traffic, there is a show on map feature that when clicked will bring up your map and indicate how many avatars are currently in that area.  The personals do exist though, they are listed under "classified" but are just not really used.  I use the search all of the time, when looking for new places to explore in SL, it is a great little tool.

Edited by Istelathis

On 1/29/2023 at 10:26 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

Cunning plan.

Take the destination guide and quietly forget it exists. Create a personal ads section instead.

Neat idea. I do use the destination guide though and I don't really care for people so I wouldn't want to see it change. But your idea would be a neat addition for a lot of people.

On 1/29/2023 at 8:00 PM, Rowan Amore said:

To me, local chat with a group of people I know is fine.  Local chat with a room full.of people I don't know is totally not my thing.  I don't walk into a room full of people in RL and starting speaking loud enough for every person to hear.  Why would I do that in SL?  That's just my take on it.

Its the opposite for me. An IM is a personal, private phone call. I do not want to receive unsolicited phone calls from people I don't know, especialy when the reason they're calling is because what they intend to say would, if they said it out loud in public, show everyone what an enoumous d-bag they are.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

I can think of an even more cunning plan. Add a Featured Avatar section, cycling through anyone who has been online in the past few minutes. We can label it the "For a good time call..." list. 😘

We could have a ranked list, perhaps with performance brackets !!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.