Destination guides? Pffft. Personal Ads !!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Cunning plan.

Take the destination guide and quietly forget it exists.

Create a personal ads section instead.

Let people post personal "classified" ads right from the viewer from the avatar they are using. G rated for seeking friends, M for everything romantic or adulty, A for the findommes and sugar daddies.

Stick these someplace people can find them. Hang a lantern on it. Feature it right out the gate as part of the new user experience.

Second Life isn't about contemplating some pile of stale prims, it's about who we share the stale prims with.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Second Life isn't about contemplating some pile of stale prims, it's about who we share the stale prims with.

It depends on what is occurring during the sharing of stale prims with others. Depending on the situation contemplating a pile of stale prims alone might be the better choice.

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Cunning plan.

Let people post personal "classified" ads right from the viewer from the avatar they are using. G rated for seeking friends, M for everything romantic or adulty, A for the findommes and sugar daddies.

Stick these someplace people can find them. Hang a lantern on it. Feature it right out the gate as part of the new user experience.

Can't we have both?  I'd never use the personals but I do use the Destination Guide daily.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'd use the Destination guide if it showed where people were actually chatting in Local instead of just avatars standing/dancing without a word being uttered.

That's not SL though .. we all know crowds of strangers do not engage in local chat in SL by default. it does happen if you get the right people in place, but its rare enough to be special.

So unless you're THE person who aggressively chats in local and drags other people in, expecting to walk in on a vibrant and engaging conversation isn't a thing.

If it was a search metric, we would have bots reading nursery rhymes to each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Can't we have both?  I'd never use the personals but I do use the Destination Guide daily.

Nope, its either or.

People with destinations will have to advertise them via personals.

"Desperately seeking random strangers to peer upon my stale prims in silence, undisturbed by everyone, including myself. No talking, don't make it weird."

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

That's not SL though .. we all know crowds of strangers do not engage in local chat in SL by default. it does happen if you get the right people in place, but its rare enough to be special.

So unless you're THE person who aggressively chats in local and drags other people in, expecting to walk in on a vibrant and engaging conversation isn't a thing.

If it was a search metric, we would have bots reading nursery rhymes to each other.

And yet random strangers talk in Groups, Voice, Hubs and in world meetings and yet in some of the clubs and destinations I visit, the same people are there day in day out so not strangers visually just socially. It is rare to even get a live greeting when visiting new destinations and clubs, never mind a whole sentence. I don't see this in IMVU and Opensim so it does make me curious as to what the problem is in S/L.

12 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I don't see this in IMVU and Opensim so it does make me curious as to what the problem is in S/L.

That's a very good question. I'm curious too. I don't have any experience with either of those worlds, so all I can do is speculate. Is there perhaps a different sort of population there than in SL?  Almost all my friends in SL are self-identified introverts and many of the people who post here in the forums have said the same when the subject has come up. Personally, I'm quite happy if I show up in a new spot in SL and nobody starts sending me "Welcome!" pings.  If I went to a world where chatter was the norm, I'd go nuts in a minute.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 4

Personal Ads would be a hoot! Examples:

- Furry seeks mate for RolePlay. Must have 10+ years experience. Must voice verify. Must identify as their character in RL.

- Alpha seeks Beta, Gamma, and Delta. Omegas need not apply. 

- Vore seeks meal

- Hucow seeks milkmaid 

- Devil seeks worshippers 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's a very good question. I'm curious too. I don't have any experience with either of those worlds, so all I can do is speculate. Is there perhaps a different sort of population there than in SL?  Almost all my friends in SL are self-identified introverts and many of the people who post here in the forums have said the same when the subject has come up. Personally, I'm quite happy if I show up in a new spot in SL and nobody starts sending me "Welcome!" pings.  If I went to a world where chatter was the norm, I'd go nuts in a minute.

But I am no different in that way when it is IM pings as opposed to general local chat chatter where one can join in or not or just add comments in the general conversation. I much rather be greeted by people in Local then getting 5 different IM pings saying "Hi".

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

But I am no different in that way when it is IM pings as opposed to general local chat chatter where one can join in or not or just add comments in the general conversation. I much rather be greeted by people in Local then getting 5 different IM pings saying "Hi".

That sort of makes sense, but personally I would rather not have random "Hi!" messages in either IM or local chat.  I enjoy conversations -- usually in local chat -- with friends, but when I am out shopping or in some other public venue I'd rather just be a fly on the wall.  That's generally true in RL too, unless I am forced into a more public role.  I was just wondering, in response to your post, whether the "problem" with SL is that a lot of us would rather enjoy the world in quiet.  I'm not making any value judgment about anyone else's experience.  Just wondering, is all.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That sort of makes sense, but personally I would rather not have random "Hi!" messages in either IM or local chat.  I enjoy conversations -- usually in local chat -- with friends, but when I am out shopping or in some other public venue I'd rather just be a fly on the wall.  That's generally true in RL too, unless I am forced into a more public role.  I was just wondering, in response to your post, whether the "problem" with SL is that a lot of us would rather enjoy the world in quiet.  I'm not making any value judgment about anyone else's experience.  Just wondering, is all.

To me, local chat with a group of people I know is fine.  Local chat with a room full.of people I don't know is totally not my thing.  I don't walk into a room full of people in RL and starting speaking loud enough for every person to hear.  Why would I do that in SL?  That's just my take on it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Well same in that I rather not be bothered in a shopping venue except rare occasions for a compliment given or taken. At the same time I should point out that one of my goals in joining a Social platform to begin with, was to work on my social skills, both personal as well as in group/crowd situations in the hope of overcoming my somewhat introvertness and social anxiety tendencies.

I suspect the S/L vs Opensim/Imvu populations don't differ that much overall in the introvert vs extrovert ratios and have to wonder if you see what you see because it is what you attract to you by virtue of not seemingly caring much for those who are more extroverted in nature?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

To me, local chat with a group of people I know is fine.  Local chat with a room full.of people I don't know is totally not my thing.  I don't walk into a room full of people in RL and starting speaking loud enough for every person to hear.  Why would I do that in SL?  That's just my take on it.

In relation to the topic I just see that the Destination Guide is more for those who are into the tourist/sightseeing sort of person vs those who are here for more interpersonal experiences. The personal ads idea is fine for those looking to find a special friend but not so much for those who just liking to chat in a more informal sort of way somewhat like we used to in the Forums before the Lindens outlawed that.

• Like 1

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

I suspect the S/L vs Opensim/Imvu populations don't differ that much overall in the introvert vs extrovert ratios and have to wonder if you see what you see because it is what you attract to you by virtue of not seemingly caring much for those who are more extroverted in nature?

Thanks. That's certainly a possibility, minus the implication that I don't care for extroverts. I'm just not one myself. I am as susceptible to sampling bias and confirmation bias as anyone else and, as I said, I don't have your advantage of familiarity with those other platforms.  Your post raised an interesting question, so I posed the first hypothesis I could think of. Every once in a while, someone here in the forums laments the amount of empty space in SL and the limited social interaction that may be a side effect of it.  I see those as assets for the most part, so I suppose that means I tend to have more friends like me.  Or ... SL attracts more people like me. I can't tell which is closer to the truth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Cunning plan.

Please. Tell me you are not serious about this Facebook/Twitter thing. I am sick to death of social media and the horrible behavior it has brought about. It's nothing more than an excuse to treat people like crap. No, thank you.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Please. Tell me you are not serious about this Facebook/Twitter thing. I am sick to death of social media and the horrible behavior it has brought about. It's nothing more than an excuse to treat people like crap. No, thank you.

I didn't mention either of those ****** ** *** ***** **** *** *** companies.

• Haha 1

I asked ChatGPT to generate an ad response to your post, and this is what I received:

Attention Second Life community! Tired of destination guides and ready for a change? Check out our new personal ads section! Find friends, romantic connections, or even financial arrangements all from the comfort of your avatar. G-rated, M-rated, and A-rated options available. Experience the new user experience by featuring our personal ads section front and center.

Choose from our three pricing options to make the most of your personal ad:

* Basic: Free listing with basic features
* Premium: $5/month for enhanced visibility and additional features
* VIP: $10/month for top placement and maximum visibility
* Don't miss out on this exciting opportunity! Start connecting with like-minded individuals today!

Disclaimer: The personal ads section is provided as a service to the Second Life community, and OpenAI is not responsible for any actions or interactions resulting from the use of this feature. Please use caution and always practice safe online behavior.

🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, colleen Criss said:

I use the destination guide. Please let it alone. 

OpenAI disagrees with you

Dear Second Life community,

We understand that some users are attached to the destination guide, but we believe that a personal ads section has the potential to greatly enhance the Second Life experience. While the destination guide provides information on various destinations, the personal ads section offers a more personal and interactive way to connect with others within the community.

Additionally, offering a variety of features such as G-rated, M-rated, and A-rated options, allows for a wider range of connections and experiences. And with three pricing options, users can choose what best suits their needs and budget.

We understand that change can be difficult, but sometimes it leads to new and exciting opportunities. We encourage everyone to give the personal ads section a chance and see how it can enhance their Second Life experience.

Best regards,
The OpenAI Team

Okay, sorry 🙃 I'm just having a bit of fun and wanted to play around with OpenAI and this topic seemed like a good place for it, I promise no more.

42 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Attention Second Life community! Tired of destination guides and ready for a change? Check out our new personal ads section! Find friends, romantic connections, or even financial arrangements all from the comfort of your avatar. G-rated, M-rated, and A-rated options available. Experience the new user experience by featuring our personal ads section front and center.

Ads like this ^^ or are you entirely playing around, especially regarding the financial arrangement part?  LOL

I also wanted to say I think it's a good idea in some ways and sounds fun to have personal ads for friendship.

As far as Dinkies and Tinies of the Shire, we only have about maybe 6 main groups I know of for all of tinyville, so  we mingle much more for our events than humans do and it is great to have friends and real chats.  

But, you are speaking, Coffee, I'd gather mostly for the human avatars in regards to ads, I'd gather...like an E Harmony.com?  Well, imo, you gotta do something to spice this place up for singles who want to mingle which is the vast majority of SL, I'd presume?    

Edited by EliseAnne85

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.