Logging in problems (10th Jan)

Amanda Dench

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 minutes ago, Amanda Dench said:

Is anyone having problems logging in.  I know its the rolling restarts today but my alt can log in ok and I can't (same destination).  Thanks

I have the same problem as you, I don't know what to do. I used to be able to log in using a different link. now I can't log in

Case of bad luck that you can't log in at the moment.
But on the bright side: Log in failures so far always have been temporary since the start of SL.  And praise our overlords we don't have maintenance Wednesdays every fortnight like we had in the early years. Mind you, always during European prime time hours.

I normally use unexpected down time to do some unexpected ironing or other household jobs. 🙉

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

You could try the Bellisseria Fairgrounds, I know that one just came back up, so you might have some luck there since it's a fresh started region.

I usually bounce around Bellisseria  to the scenic places while mine is restarting.. mine usually takes forever to restart..

This is the slurl for there.. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bellisseria Fairgrounds/151/192/27

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

bang_on_things.jpg.cf.webp

Remember this one from the "good old days"?
I hated that opening screen picture big time.

🤣 Housework day used to be a Wednesday because of this and it still is.  I used to do all my laundry on a Wednesday and the rest of the big houshold jobs.  Looks like its going to be Tuesday this week 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You could try the Bellisseria Fairgrounds, I know that one just came back up, so you might have some luck there since it's a fresh started region.

I usually bounce around Bellisseria  to the scenic places while mine is restarting.. mine usually takes forever to restart..

This is the slurl for there.. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bellisseria Fairgrounds/151/192/27

Thanks for that.  I did try it but got the dreaded 'login failed' despite our best efforts message.

SL message.JPG

19 minutes ago, Amanda Dench said:

Спасибо за это. Я попробовал это, но получил ужасную ошибку «вход в систему», несмотря на наше сообщение о максимальных усилиях.

Сообщение SL.JPG

I also tried but got the same answer

OMG! People it is Tuesday.... the restart day. Try again in 20 minutes.

Or... log into a different region. If they are restarting your home or last visited region then your login WILL FAIL. Bounce to the web version of the Destination Guide and pick a place.

Almost every Tuesday the Lindens update the region servers with new software. That requires a restart. About 80% of the grid is involved in the rolling restart. When things go well it takes a region about 10 minutes to restart. When things go wrong... well... no telling. But I have seen it take 2 to 4 hours for a region to come back online. The Lindens have something like 4,000 computers to update and restart. The operations team is watching the process and is usually on a problem before we users know there is a problem. But, file trouble tickets for those times they miss something.

On Wednesday morning the Lindens are restarting the Release Candidate (RC) regions, about 20% of the grid.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

МОЙ БОГ! Люди это вторник.... день перезапуска. Повторите попытку через 20 минут.

this has been going on for over an hour. SL also recognizes this problem and tries to fix it. what is your exclamation for?

• Like 3

Just now, Teomi said:

this has been going on for over an hour. SL also recognizes this problem and tries to fix it. what is your exclamation for?

Because it is a common Tuesday problem. One that most new people learning in a couple of months and anyone here more than year should think of first thing.

Rolling restarts run for several hours. When there is any significant problem the Lindens will re-roll the grid to revert back to the previous version. So even more down time.

The operations team has years of experience. They normally do an excellent job of rolling the grid to an updated version. But, there are times when things go side ways.

It would be nice if they did the restarts when the grid is at its lowest concurrency instead of when people in the america's are starting with their morning logins. In any case I always have my Opensim grid up and running to log into when S/L fails. Being a true addict, I refuse to allow a third party like the Lab to dictate when i can access my drug of choice :)

Edited by Arielle Popstar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Amanda Dench said:

Is anyone having problems logging in.  I know its the rolling restarts today but my alt can log in ok and I can't (same destination).  Thanks

Thank you for posting this. Always good to know its not only me. I also always receive the same login error as you posted.

I managed to create ticket (before it appeared on the SL status page). But similar to you, the support portal page does not fully work for me.

12 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

OMG! People it is Tuesday.... the restart day. Try again in 20 minutes.

Or... log into a different region. If they are restarting your home or last visited region then your login WILL FAIL. Bounce to the web version of the Destination Guide and pick a place.

Almost every Tuesday the Lindens update the region servers with new software. That requires a restart. About 80% of the grid is involved in the rolling restart. When things go well it takes a region about 10 minutes to restart. When things go wrong... well... no telling. But I have seen it take 2 to 4 hours for a region to come back online. The Lindens have something like 4,000 computers to update and restart. The operations team is watching the process and is usually on a problem before we users know there is a problem. But, file trouble tickets for those times they miss something.

On Wednesday morning the Lindens are restarting the Release Candidate (RC) regions, about 20% of the grid.

I think this really wasnt neccesary, esp. not by the huge red font, like the users here are silly kids, not knowing what they were are doing.

I have exactly the same issue as Amanda described in the original post: my alt can log in on the first attempt, is standing there online in region which restarted earlier today hours ago, but my other avatar cannot log in there, to this very region. Or any other region, for like 5+ hours now.

Black Dragon viewer shows the issue happens every time same at 5% of the loging process "awaiting login response". Inability to connect to region does not look like that. If I am correct this means the viewer does not even proceed that far to try to connect to the region.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most of this is covered in one way or another, just posting to correct something: A Rolling Restart does not mean that a new Server is being installed/rolled. It means exactly what it says on the tin - they are Restarting the Servers.

This set of restarts had no Server updates.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.