Post your Vintage Avatars glory (no mesh!)

2Tessa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, Tary Allen said:

Don't have much at hand here, but these are all from 2008, sometimes I miss me pre-mesh

Me too. It took a lot of time to dress and edit everything. Where I stand with my arms up, I change pose, and the corset is a disaster. It only fit just that pose. it was good with unrigged stuff for pictures, but they were a total pain to walk in. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Me too. It took a lot of time to dress and edit everything. Where I stand with my arms up, I change pose, and the corset is a disaster. It only fit just that pose. it was good with unrigged stuff for pictures, but they were a total pain to walk in. 

Wearing things was like, ok is this an acceptable amount of float for this belt, Or can I live with this much clipping?  hehehe

To find the perfect fit for some things was more than just a search.. They were things you kept your eye out for from a list of things you had in your head.. hehehehe

Then when it came to editing something and hoping you could get it to size without having to edit linked parts..especially if it had a zillion little prims.🤣

This belt fit like a glove, until I got into a pose that it clipped hard.. It was a matter of, do I fix the belt which could take hours and just hope it blends in enough in the pic that nobody else noticed but me.. LOL

6749028277_e6e55f151a_c.jpg

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

@2Tessa Thanks for starting this thread. It is awesome seeing how neat some of the early avatars were.

Nalates4.jpg.de3bcaac2c9b6bfd146162ce3912035e.jpg From my first year in SL... (shudder)

953190381_Nalates2010-10_001.thumb.jpg.68332eae3c97bd124f1791e993435398.jpg

I was doing a bit better making my avatar a couple of years later.

Dev100115_002.thumb.jpg.e64e99835dd3ab7cce4168a436731571.jpg

This is from the era where I was into combat games, NOR was my favorite. We had some awesome battles. In spite of all the lag these were great fun. Losing a battle often left one at the mercy of some really dark people, which introduced a whole new level of tension to the competition. And the RP story telling was WAY creative.

photoshootHF11-A01_001.thumb.jpg.73ba596ab5658d5c6f692b34e36fd94f.jpg

When off the battle field I went for a more feminine look. I think this is my last avatar before I started buying mesh, hands and feet were first. Then a body and lastly a head.

I have kept some of my early outfits for the pre-mesh looks I really like.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 11

What creators did with sculpts was pretty impressive. Isn't sculpts a form for mesh? I never learn the technical jingo. This must be a picture where only the hands gives away that this isn't a mesh avatar. Mesh came later in 2011, and this is from March 2011. It must be sculpted shoes too. I don't know what is mesh and what is sculpt when I come to the end of 2011 and further. Mesh looked and behaved like sculpts without rigging too.

I am afraid to log in and see if I have the parts of this, or if they are lost. If I keep all the things I collect over the years, I would have an inventory of over 500 000, a million is not unlikely. And cleaning and purging takes time, a lot of time. Sometimes things are... gone when I look for them.

I have lost a lot of @Bare Rose outfits.  It is the collar, chest and underarms in here. I am almost in tears, when I wish that I had an easier way to save things than making boxes, pack things, and then pack them in storage. If we could open the inventory without logging in and sorting like we sort pictures or documents... 😭 If we could have another inventory that did not have to be loaded... as a vault to keep things safe. 😭💔

The Clockmaker's wifeSteam the hunt IV

Edited by Marianne Little
typos
  • Like 15

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

What creators did with sculpts was pretty impressive. Isn't sculpts a form for mesh? I never learn the technical jingo. This must be a picture where only the hands gives away that this isn't a mesh avatar. Mesh came later in 2011, and this is from March 2011. It must be sculpted shoes too. I don't know what is mesh and what is sculpt when I come to the end of 2011 and further. Mesh looked and behaved like sculpts without rigging too.

I am afraid to log in and see if I have the parts of this, or if they are lost. If I keep all the things I collect over the years, I would have an inventory of over 500 000, a million is not unlikely. And cleaning and purging takes time, a lot of time. Sometimes things are... gone when I look for them.

I have lost a lot of @Bare Rose outfits.  It is the collar, chest and underarms in here. I am almost in tears, when I wish that I had an easier way to save things than making boxes, pack things, and then pack them in storage. If we could open the inventory without logging in and sorting like we sort pictures or documents... 😭 If we could have another inventory that did not have to be loaded... as a vault to keep things safe. 😭💔

The Clockmaker's wifeSteam the hunt IV

Oooo I had this skirt! Loved Bare Rose - mine is long gone from my inventory also.

Another one that has disappeared was all my Four Yip outfits. I was obsessed with her clothing. I'm sure I had all of it. I have so many pix in them but alas, none to wear any longer.

• Sad 1

@Marianne Little Everything in SL is mesh... and Prims... All mesh items anywhere use a list of vertices to render a shape/object. In SL most prims have a list of vertices built into the viewer. Saves downloading. Only a list of parameters which define how the prim looks has to be downloaded.

The exceptions are Sculpties and Prim Mesh objects. A sculpty uses an image for the list of vertices. We set the X,Y,Z values by setting the RGB values. Prim Mesh objects use a list of X,Y,Z values which we set by modeling in Blender or 3D Max.

Prim Mesh objects render faster as it requires no decoding of the RGB image values.

Sculpties were a work around for not having editable mesh prims AKA prims with an editable vertex list.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

@Marianne Little Everything in SL is mesh... and Prims... All mesh items anywhere use a list of vertices to render a shape/object. In SL most prims have a list of vertices built into the viewer. Saves downloading. Only a list of parameters which define how the prim looks has to be downloaded.

The exceptions are Sculpties and Prim Mesh objects. A sculpty uses an image for the list of vertices. We set the X,Y,Z values by setting the RGB values. Prim Mesh objects use a list of X,Y,Z values which we set by modeling in Blender or 3D Max.

Prim Mesh objects render faster as it requires no decoding of the RGB image values.

Sculpties were a work around for not having editable mesh prims AKA prims with an editable vertex list.

I guess she meant "System Avatars", since that is all which existed before user-created "Mesh Avatar" bodies..?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.