We need better filters for MarketPlace

Goblin Waifu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 256 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Im sick of having to deal with keyword stuffers, ripper shops and reuploaders. I'd like the ability to ban shops from my search since the report function is so convoluted when people post 50 items with the same keywords in sections they dont belong. I'd like the ability to just entirely ban a shop from any of my searches. Either by excluding their shop name or creator name or some sort of toggle to hide their shop from my browsing.

Overall the market search is trash, we need the ability to filter by listing date as all the most popular items tend to be the oldest which often are not that great looking given they are often low rez and/or non-mesh

Below is the results for search term 'medieval gown' I dont know what time warp they're in but that is not medieval.

image_2022-12-12_014428653.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Aphea Nova said:

Im sick of having to deal with keyword stuffers, ripper shops and reuploaders. I'd like the ability to ban shops from my search since the report function is so convoluted when people post 50 items with the same keywords in sections they dont belong. I'd like the ability to just entirely ban a shop from any of my searches. Either by excluding their shop name or creator name or some sort of toggle to hide their shop from my browsing.

Overall the market search is trash, we need the ability to filter by listing date as all the most popular items tend to be the oldest which often are not that great looking given they are often low rez and/or non-mesh

Below is the results for search term 'medieval gown' I dont know what time warp they're in but that is not medieval.

and before people say 'its a gown is coming up with that term' here is more under the same search also same store.... jackets and standard ho tops

image_2022-12-12_014916094.png

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Aphea Nova said:

Here's what I came up with when I called up Marketplace and did absolutely nothing other than typing "medieval gown" into the search box.

Lo and behold, medieval gowns are what I see....

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=GMA&search[keywords]=medieval+gown

Which raises the question, "How are you getting your results?"

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Here's what I came up with when I called up Marketplace and did absolutely nothing other than typing "medieval gown" into the search box.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=GMA&search[keywords]=medieval+gown

After using the keywords, reset you parameters to Apparel, Women, then newest first.  The store pictured has numerous items under medieval gown which are not

The entire store should be flagged for keyword spam.  Almost the entire first 11 pages using the filters above are this store.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 7

I'd love to be able to filter out stores too. Stores that do what the OP is doing need every item they are listing flagged for keyword spam, but do I have time to do that? Nope. I'll flag maybe a couple of listings but seriously, who has time to report a whole store. Be nice to have the option to be able to flag a store, there are quite a few on the marketplace that need attention.

It's worth mentioning that you can use boolean operators in search to get rid of specific stores from results if they use their store name in their item listings, like the one the OP has highlighted. So to not see those items you would search for "medieval dress NOT store name". You'll end up with a long search string if there are a lot of stores you don't want to see though, and it does not help to remove stores who don't use their store name, or some kind of consistent prefix, in their listings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

After using the keywords, reset you parameters to Apparel, Women, then newest first.  The store pictured has numerous items under medieval gown which are not

The entire store should be flagged for keyword spam.  Almost the entire first 11 pages using the filters above are this store.

This is why we need the ability to just flag a store.

Also frustrating is to have any results in the 'weapons' or ' home & garden' categories  -- and 'footwear'

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

When LL gets multiple Keyword Spam flags for a single store, on multiple completely different items, they should just delist the entire store and tell the merchant to start all over and if the keyword spamming continues with the new listings, they will be banned from the MP.

Merchants don't worry about it because the possibility of getting caught are almost non-existent and even if they do get entries flagged, they typically only have to change those few listings.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5

On 12/12/2022 at 2:45 AM, Aphea Nova said:

Thank you! I’m sick of seeing Caligula dominate every single clothing search I do! Their clothes don’t fit and they have no demos! Their crap hogs all the space on mp!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

The MP needs such a serious UX (user experience) overhaul it's not even funny.

There are at least a dozen major things that need to be reworked, pain points so obvious I almost cry every time I use the MP; speaking as someone who is a VP in that very field.

I actually think that this is part of the problem and reason for why LL doesn't do much with it.  The whole thing really does need an overhaul, but that is a very daunting task.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 12:45 AM, Aphea Nova said:

This was shown to me  by someone in the forums and works really well..

I make a note card and when another stores come up that i want to take off my search, I add them to  my note card like this.  NOT Store name NOT Store name NOT Store name and then put my search term.. Or do my search term and if one store is eating up a bunch of pages in that search, Just do,  NOT store name  search term.. rather than pasting all the ones from my note card.

It's made life a little easier on the MP.. hehehe

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

This was shown to me  by someone in the forums and works really well..

I make a note card and when another stores come up that i want to take off my search, I add them to  my note card like this.  NOT Store name NOT Store name NOT Store name and then put my search term.. Or do my search term and if one store is eating up a bunch of pages in that search, Just do,  NOT store name  search term.. rather than pasting all the ones from my note card.

It's made life a little easier on the MP.. hehehe

It would be nice to use this method directly in the MP itself, allowing you to ignore stores in all future searches.

1 hour ago, Modulated said:

It would be nice to use this method directly in the MP itself, allowing you to ignore stores in all future searches.

Ya, it would be nice to not have to use work arounds at all.. But it's pretty much so gamed that we have to learn the curve to game them back I guess.. All their searches pretty much just suck so bad.. hehehe

Would also be nice if Marketplace had an option for merchants to bundle variations of a product (different colors, permissions, whatever) as a single product listing.

That's pretty basic stuff for online store design. There'd be less need to copypaste keywords when you're planning to upload dozens, let alone update them later.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Gunthar Greggan said:

Should also fix the "do not show Demos" filter... doesn't work.

It does work, but only if the merchant linked the demo to the real product.  Any Demo not linked will not get filtered by that setting.  HOWEVER, any Demo not linked can also be Flagged under 'Disallowed Listing Practices / Demo not linked to Full Version'

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 12:24 PM, Theresa Tennyson said:

going directly through the link you posted and setting items per page to 96, sorting set to newest, right under all the bridal gowns I get this. Scroll through more than just the first page and you'll see the latest in gowns... which appears to be denim pants?

image_2023-01-05_022213643.png

On 12/17/2022 at 11:58 PM, Modulated said:

I have written a little script that removes any products from the search result page by selected merchants, but a slight problem is that you can get totally empty pages in cases where *cough* certain merchants list more than 96 copies of the same product for as many shades of green as they can bother with.

(I would share the script openly, but it doesn't really have any extra features for general usability, so I'll only share it via PM.)

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

Adding that some of the ‘more well known’ & older merchants aren’t above some keyword spamming and ‘artful mis-categorizing’, I noticed. 2 in particular who know better and stake their ‘reputation’ on their historical accuracy. Well that’s disappointing. 

So as an experiment, I searched “medieval gown NOT *CC* NOT hues NOT TRES” (eliminating/excluding some words of the more prolific things that popped up & were clearly not a medieval gown) - then clicked the checkbox for ‘copy’, and ‘do not show demo or limited items’. I set my price range $50-501 in category ‘women’s dresses’ filtered ‘newest first’ and still returned 5691 results. I know from past searches that many historical fashions will also be listed under ‘women’s costumes’ too - ‘medieval gown’ also returned an additional 9043 results there when I searched. At that point, I looked at ‘best selling’ and ‘rating high to low’ in both of those categories. Still didn’t find anything I particularly liked in the first few pages of each category and still did turn up quite a few post-1700 fashions, including Rococo and Victorian styles mixed with 20th century stuff and also some fantasy based but vaguely ‘medieval-ish’ styled things - ‘fiction-wear’, I guess I’d call it? Point being, OP is right, it’s tedious to sort the MP for something this specific. This is too many search hoops to jump through to reasonably filter things down to something searchable.

It would be really nice to be able to

• check ‘do not show this store in my item searches’ to filter the shops we know we do not wish to shop at - I think many of us have at least a few of these that we would happily choose to hide - some of us would hide half the MP but likely shop there more with this ability
  • see demos AND all of the texture/color variations of an item managed in a single listing (like in Kitely MP) or even GROUPED within a few listings
  • flag an entire shop for review if a certain number of their listings are reported within 24 hours as breaking MP rules, and a policy for the ones who continue to do it repeatedly 

@Wulfie Reanimator thank you very much, it sounds really useful to be able filter out certain merchants’ items. And just to say that 96 single listings for a variation on a single item is a perfect example of why we need better options even if we like that much choice/variety - it quickly becomes unmanageable with the current listing and searching criteria. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another small thing that would be really helpful: merchant/shop names being automatically excluded from item searches. There's already a separate search for merchants/shops, and I do not want every single item sold by Bob Pinafore showing up when I'm searching for pinafore.

• Like 4

The MP has not had a major update for the best part of 10 years, if not more. Agree the sorting filters don't work well and often the only way to gauge how old a product is, is by checking the date-stamp in the reviews, not ideal. You could end up buying an item hoping it's relatively new only to later find it was made nearly a decade ago. How would you feel if you went to your local fashion retailer in RL to buy a jacket only to find it was made 10 years ago? Not necessarily a problem if you don't mind antiquated designs. Sure, you can always search "newest to oldest" etc but then you might end up with pages of items with no reviews. Your only option is to sacrifice one sort filter for another, not cool...

Considering the MP is a gateway for SL e-commerce, it's surprising the Lindens do not do more to keep on top of it. We don't all have time to scour the grid looking for in-world shops. The MP was a great idea and arguably it was a great success. - so why so much neglect? It's no wonder a lot of designers only sell in-world, yet this only compounds the problem on a fundamental level. - That is, if you want to MP to succeed by being relevant. 

Edited by Exavor Diesel
  • Like 1

Yes, MP is near useless if you're looking for anything specific and usually requires that you click through potentially hundreds of pages to find what you want since the search tool isn't really much use.

Needs a total overhaul but then that would also involve some sort of deep look into the products contained and proper tags applied... might be a job for some AI though.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 256 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.