Inworld Friends ONLINE Status Broken

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, samsyfurwolf said:

Bump.

Chat excerpt from last Server Users Group:

Henri Beauchamp: Any news about https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-232037 (bogus empty online friends on login) ?

.../...
Rider Linden: @Henri I have not done any work on that bug yet.

Feel free to nag LL harder about it, since this bug is now over one year old ! 😲

• Thanks 1

@Henri Beauchamp

Now my understanding of these (multiple) friends online bugs was that the one affecting the initial failure of the system to send a list of online friends had been at least partially fixed (at least it appears normal in the current Firestorm and I would assume that the same is true for the Linden viewer though I have not had cause to use it recently)

The bug where accepting a new friendship offer or having an offer you make accepted promptly causes the system to register all your existing friends online to show as offline until you relog appears unchanged.  Perhaps Rider was indicating that nothing was being done about THAT?

With that bug LL really DO need a digital extraction tool.

18 hours ago, Aishagain said:

Now my understanding of these (multiple) friends online bugs was that the one affecting the initial failure of the system to send a list of online friends had been at least partially fixed

No, this bug still plagues some (many, all, depending on traffic, perhaps ?) simulators (come see in my home sim, Hunburgh, if you want), and does not depend the least on what viewer you are using. It appears about two days after the last sim restart (and as a result my region gets restarted twice or thrice a week).

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Thanks 1

I haven't noticed this until resent, and I was wondering why people were saying in group that I was offline and can't help them when I was online the whole day and appeared afk to a handful of people, and then noticed some I could not see until they relogged. 

At least I was able to change my name back as 3 weeks ago my name changed to default Resident name and when i sent to change it still stayed that way. 

On 3/12/2023 at 1:20 PM, Aishagain said:

@Henri Beauchamp

Now my understanding of these (multiple) friends online bugs was that the one affecting the initial failure of the system to send a list of online friends had been at least partially fixed (at least it appears normal in the current Firestorm and I would assume that the same is true for the Linden viewer though I have not had cause to use it recently)

The bug where accepting a new friendship offer or having an offer you make accepted promptly causes the system to register all your existing friends online to show as offline until you relog appears unchanged.  Perhaps Rider was indicating that nothing was being done about THAT?

With that bug LL really DO need a digital extraction tool.

Oh I had that exact scenario happen last night while on the current FS. I had logged into S/L to accept a friend invitation from an Opensim friend and after I did, 10 other friends that were online suddenly all logged off. Had me going wtf and so checked the Friends online list on the website and saw they were all still online. I got sidetracked with the new friend but when I looked 30 minutes later I noted that the ones who had gone offline were all back showing as online in the viewer without a relog.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, StelaSea said:

im having this problem for some weeks already. When i log in, its says "no friends online", although i know there is people online. I have cleared cache, cleared inventory cache, and nothing. I dont know what to do anymore! Firestorm-Releasex64 6.6.8.68380 - StelaSea (gyazo.com)

Try going back a version, I have experienced enough significant bugs (mostly rendering but this online status bug seems quite prevalent too) in 6.6.8.68380 to abandon it and go back to 6.6.3.67470

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_older_downloads

• 11 months later...
Posted (edited)

»You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 350 days.
Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.«

Yes, it's worth it.

It's unbelievable that this bug still exists. This bug isn't just annoying - it endangers friendships, causes mistrust and divides people.
Incredible, this thread proves that Citizens have been drawing attention to this / to LL several times for years.

Would it be fair if LL explained to us: Why is it? What is the reason for this bug?
• old software?
• Problem in server communication?
• Intention (can't be)

Edited by martinmoun
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
  1. There are no "citizens" here, only users  - Second Life is software 
  2. Do not be so dramatic - the only "friendships" it endangers are the sort that either never truly existed or that were tenuous at best 
    1. If it really takes so little to cause mistrust then that is a clear sign that the "friendship" really was not so genuine 
    2. Divides people, really? Ridiculous - see above and you'll have an idea on what is causing the division 
  3. Problems like this have existed since the dawn of social communication over the Internet - do not hold your breath waiting for a solution 
Edited by Solar Legion
Fixing Formatting on PC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

Welcome to SL: Been here since 2005. "Citizens" is a common term. Plus, the default last name is Resident, not "User". Aside that, don't distract from the topic.

And, nice attempt at downplaying it. It's is a serious problem. It causes misunderstandings, mistrust  and has killed friendships. It's a fact. This thread shows it.

Edited by martinmoun
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Monty Linden said:

Thank you. I really appreciate your reply! \o/ yay. Though, Feedback? Did I miss something? it's closed. 
Update: I logged in and found the way to leave comments.

Edited by martinmoun
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Monty Linden

What information do you need? Are you still seeking for support / input from Residents' side? I am more than motivated to provide you every information you need, plus collect some from friends. 

Though, I have to say, it appears a bit odd and awkward to me that this bug has been persisting for so long now.

Edited by martinmoun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:
  2. Do not be so dramatic - the only "friendships" it endangers are the sort that either never truly existed or that were tenuous at best 
    1. If it really takes so little to cause mistrust then that is a clear sign that the "friendship" really was not so genuine 
    2. Divides people, really? Ridiculous - see above and you'll have an idea on what is causing the division 
  3. Problems like this have existed since the dawn of social communication over the Internet - do not hold your breath waiting for a solution 

With all due respect, you didn't get it. 
And this bug has been persisting so long now, I'm tired to explain it.

• Haha 1

• Lindens
10 minutes ago, martinmoun said:

What information do you need? Are you still seeking for support / input from Residents' side? I am more than motivated to provide you every information you need, plus collect some from friends.

@Maestro Linden has some instructions for data collection and reporting in the Canny bug.  Those still apply here.

10 minutes ago, martinmoun said:

Though, I have to say, it appears a bit odd and awkward to me that this bug has been persisting for so long now.

Lindens don't have friends so we never see this bug.  More seriously, it doesn't have a consistent reproducer.  A region gets into 'a mode' and starts doing this.  We need to:  1) hear about it before the Tuesday/Wednesday restarts and 2) have someone free to dive into it when the information comes in.  "It happened to me two weeks ago" reports are not useful in this case.

Having been through related code in the past year or so, it's fairly safe to say it isn't a bug.  It's a collection of interacting bugs producing emergent behavior.  I hate those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

With all due respect - I did indeed "get it" - you did not.

I have been online and used varied social messaging and other systems for a rather long time - I more than "get it".

File the appropriate Feedback entry and move on. And do not expect it to be fixed any time soon let alone permanently.

My recent response is fact - If it is causing mistrust, misunderstandings, ending friendships and such that is not the fault of the online presence system, beginning and end.

ETA: "Common term" or not, there are no citizens or actual residents within Second Life. None. Congratulations for falling for the marketing campaign.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

ETA: "Common term" or not, there are no citizens or actual residents within Second Life. None. Congratulations for falling for the marketing campaign.

Irony: If you Google "Second Life Citizens", you get primarily -

1) A "Community-run Portal" named "New Citizens Incorporated" (in the Destination Guide)

2) A horror movie titled, "Second Life Citizens" with the tagline, "It all started when people ROSE FROM THE DEAD.."

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Irony: If you Google "Second Life Citizens", you get primarily -

1) A "Community-run Portal" named "New Citizens Incorporated" (in the Destination Guide)

2) A horror movie titled, "Second Life Citizens" with the tagline, "It all started when people ROSE FROM THE DEAD.."

There used to be a third party forum that used Citizen in the name as well.

Frankly people need to stop believing the marketing language.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Monty Linden said:

@Monty Linden  The first thing that hits you when you look at that Feedback is that it says that it is CLOSED!  That is not very encouraging to people who may want to add more information.

Edited by Perrie Juran
shpelling

• Lindens
5 hours ago, Perrie Juran said:

That is not very encouraging to people who may want to add more information.

We prune issues in Canny to avoid Jiras lost in backlogs for over a decade.  But you should be able to comment on it and we'll re-animate it if we get something actionable.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Monty Linden said:

We prune issues in Canny to avoid Jiras lost in backlogs for over a decade.  But you should be able to comment on it and we'll re-animate it if we get something actionable.

That's ironic, if both the Thread and Canny are "Necro'd"!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.