8 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Where did you post that? And why only in the "Adult" forum? I really DO have to see this.

Peeve: It is only in the Adult forum, and I cannot go there, because everyone knows what I present as inworld.

I will log in on my alt later and view it. Don't tell anyone I went in there.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Some people apparently think word salad punctuated with dog whistles, red herrings, straw men, and ad hominen attacks count as a debate.

I read this and had to double-take! 
Post of the day!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Well actually it is offensive. Do have me confused with Zal?  I look nothing like her, and don't want to see little kids thrown into volcanos. 

No no no no. II'm not the one who throws people into volcanoes, did you confuse me with somebody else on your hate list?

I'm the one who had to boot them off A rated sims, and wishes they would all just sod off to some G rated platform instead.

Do try and keep up, I know it's hard for you but make an effort.

• Haha 2

Dyna is right. We all did it, and it was wrong.

I'm sorry for fighting, too. I forgot we were in the vomit thread, and everyone here is entitled to spew vomit, it's what the thread is for.

I'll try to do better.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

I hate when they get stuff like that, I have pit bulldogs, and they have all sorts of skin issues, apparently it comes with the breed. I bathe them regularly, groom them, and they still get raw spots from chewing and stuff.

And yeah, summertime so fleas.

Poor doggies~!

EDIT: Hey guys, look up there, I got the laugh emote. I won!

I honestly don't remember my huskies getting a hot spot before, and usually they don't "need" flea medicine (due to long combo coats). When the vet tech explained I finally realized, "Duh! Could be an allergic reaction!"

1 minute ago, PheebyKatz said:

Dyna is right. We all did it, and it was wrong.

I'm sorry for fighting, too. I forgot we were in the vomit thread, and everyone here is entitled to spew vomit, it's what the thread is for.

I'll try to do better.

Hugs!
Peeve: You missed out on the big contentious discussions recently. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Some people apparently think word salad punctuated with dog whistles, red herrings, straw men, and ad hominen attacks count as a debate.

And some people use "debate society" terminology to dismiss anything they don't agree with.

"Ad Hominem" is a classic example.

Take the following statement.

"A certain country LOST a world war because it's leader was an insane idiot who made an endless series of bad choices"

The Ivory Tower Academia Debate Society pseudo-intellectual will claim that this is an "Ad hominem" and thus automatically false, and an instant lose in a "debate".

The person who actually understands the historical reasons for that country losing, knows the statement is simple fact, and that the pseudo-intellectual debate society member needs to shut the hell up.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hugs!
Peeve: You missed out on the big contentious discussions recently. 

Just making up for lost time.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

And some people use "debate society" terminology to dismiss anything they don't agree with.

It's easier than trying to explain it all using original terms of one's own devising, however. At least using those words conveys what the person is trying to say, even if sometimes imperfectly. Either way, the message I got was that spewing jibberjabber doesn't make a person right, no matter how passionate they are about it, and I can agree with that.

I still stand by my words when I say that studying rhetoric will improve a person's ability to put their ideas and opinions across to others in a more effective way than simply being passionate about something.

Even (or maybe especially) if you don't remember any of the terminology, but just study a bit, it really helps. At least it can help to avoid some common and obvious traps. Like seeing yourself about to engage in a logical fallacy, you can try to avoid it and word things better.

For my part, I find the entire art of rhetoric and debate utterly disgusting, and I despise its tricks and traps and sophistries, because I can't even just talk to people without them trying to shout me down with a bunch of oratory tactics, and it's all transparent and stupid when you see it for what it is.

If something is true, it should be obvious. But we all argue, even when we hate arguing, because everyone is using tactics to get their way.

It sucks, but there it is.

I try to avoid it and I still end up engaging in it, just to defend my own feelings and opinions. But knowing how it works keeps me from feeling like a victim of it, at least. And I can at least see some of it coming and avoid doing it.

Anyway, yeah. I should probably go to sleep. I love you guys, even the ones I disagree with sometimes/all the time. I mean that.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Thanks 1

Like seeing yourself about to engage in a logical fallacy

Haha, like the "logical fallacy" that is "Ad Hominem", which can be shown to not be false at all in enough cases to urinate on debate society delusional pretentions.

17 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

"Ad Hominem" is a classic example.

Take the following statement.

"A certain country LOST a world war because it's leader was an insane idiot who made an endless series of bad choices"

The Ivory Tower Academia Debate Society pseudo-intellectual will claim that this is an "Ad hominem" and thus automatically false, and an instant lose in a "debate".

The person who actually understands the historical reasons for that country losing, knows the statement is simple fact, and that the pseudo-intellectual debate society member needs to shut the hell up.

De mortuis nihil nisi bonum

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Haha, like the "logical fallacy" that is "Ad Hominem", which can be shown to not be false at all in enough cases to urinate on debate society delusional pretentions.

I'm sleepy but I saw it and yeah.

I don't even like the term "logical fallacy" myself, because buzzwords (like "buzzword", yes, I know) are all up in so many things I like, and I can't even like them because of it. Other things, like marketing, political rhetoric, etc., use the same techniques for the same ends, and all of it is sorcery and is used to sell utter falsehood to people who would probably be way better off without any of it.

People can't even speak plainly from their own hearts anymore without all of it amounting to the same thing, because nobody can have an opinion without trying to sell it or force it on others.

I'm always looking for where people can agree on things and make things better, and all of that nonsense, not because I want to want to sell people an opinion, but because I want to be comfortable around the people I associate with, and a certain amount of being understood is usually necessary for that to happen.

I'm all for communication, because it actually makes things better when it happens for real. I just wish it wasn't all parasitically threaded with a need to know how to "argue effectively".

Anyway, in my sleepy and roundabout way, I am essentially agreeing with Zalificent Corvinus. I wouldn't use the words "shut up" towards anyone, even hypothetically, lol, but yeah. I think all of us are so used to overthinking things that it can't be our fault.

I like to think we all mean well, in our own ways, and we all at least in some way try to aim for understanding. Zal makes a good point, we all throw a lot of words around because forum and overthinking, or forgetting to think. And arguing.

Sigh.

Edited by PheebyKatz

• Administrators

giphy.gif

Twice now in the past hour or so y’all have been advised to stick with the theme of this thread and refrain from engaging in extensive discussions, flaming and other general behavior that is not welcome on the forums.

Unfortunately it seems that despite these reminders, many of you continue to engage in this behavior, which has resulted in several posts being hidden.

We have been quite lenient with allowing this thread to stay open in the past when discussions started to veer off into violating the forum posting guidelines because we recognize that this thread can be a fun outlet for folks. We’d hate to shut down such a long lasting thread like this one, however, if y’all cannot behave appropriately & adhere to these reminders - in addition to our Community Guidelines - we will have to close this thread. 

Consider this the final warning on this matter. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

If something is true, it should be obvious.

Nooooooo! Read Daniel Kahneman's "Thinking Fast and Slow" to learn just how counterintuitive the truth can be.

Also, our physiologies and psychologies affect our perceptions, so two people might truly "see" the same thing differently.

In my childhood, I was taught that "To a casual observer, it is intuitively obvious that..." is often prelude to a fall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Well, might as well post before the lock.  My peeve, being on a diet..  Why can't we just eat anything we want without repercussions?  I miss pizza 🍕😭

image.gif.94b96d808e08c95212339cea056fa8f6.gif

I can try to make Keto pizza, but that is almost sacrilege... sort of like putting pineapple on pizza, I would never want to lower myself to such a level as those heathens!

Imma put myself in the corner for even thinking about it.

Snapshot_518.thumb.jpg.58bfaf56a50f448707087bd20ff54129.jpg

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Nooooooo! Read Daniel Kahneman's "Thinking Fast and Slow" to learn just how counterintuitive the truth can be.

Also, our physiologies and psychologies affect our perceptions, so two people might truly "see" the same thing differently.

In my childhood, I was taught that "To a casual observer, it is intuitively obvious that..." is often prelude to a fall.

I didn't say it IS obvious, just that it should be. And you're right, to a casual observer, nothing is probably obvious at all. I of all people should know this, I've done sleight of hand for a living before, and lemme tell ya, people don't notice squat!

So yup, you're right.

Edited by PheebyKatz

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

I can try to make Keto pizza, but that is almost sacrilege... sort of like putting pineapple on pizza, I would never want to lower myself to such a level as those heathens!

Kano makes pizza now?  I always wondered what he got up to after Mortal Kombat.  Good to see he started a business.  He probably has the best pizza place ads... FINISH IT!!!

kano-mk1-heart-rip-fatality.gif

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I don't even know how that's possible, unless you used a steak as the crust or something. It might be blasphemy, but it might be tasty, too. I woul try it anyway.

Pineapple people could use ham instead. That'd probably go better with it.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Well, might as well post before the lock.  My peeve, being on a diet..  Why can't we just eat anything we want without repercussions?  I miss pizza 🍕😭

image.gif.94b96d808e08c95212339cea056fa8f6.gif

Cauliflower crust pizza is actually pretty darn good.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Peeve: Coming here on a Monday to look for a silly peeve to take my mind off the rain (OK, Keto pizza comes close) and finding people trying to kill a really good thread. Geez, guys!  Lighten up.  Please?

Edit ... Wait...  Cauliflower crust? Um...

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 2

Peeve: I don't see Rolig for over a month and she has to show up on a Monday. I'd be pretty miffed too, if I was her.

I was on vacation. Well, almost.  Dealing with business and a sick friend.  I'd peeve RL, but what's the point?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

Where did you post that? And why only in the "Adult" forum? I really DO have to see this.

No, I've not done it yet, so there's nothing to see!

I'll do something maybe in the next week or so. There is evidence that the priestess class wore special (and rather peculiar) makeup, so I might actually need to produce that by hand!

Peeve: That an historically accurate image of a Minoan priestess would need to be posted in the Adult forum, despite the fact that there is absolutely nothing sexual about it!

• Like 2