1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

Peeve: People who think that teaching is so easy that a machine can easily take over.
Yeah right.

Not that some think it is easy but rather that the relationships one must have with each and everyone run into throughout the years can leave lasting negative impacts. I can't say I remember my schooling years with fondness. 

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

I don't know, not in my area at any rate.  At this point, the students in my state are not learning very much in fact they are just pushed through the system.  There is a growing concern of our nation's IQ score lowering for the first time.

There's been a lot of talk in the news lately about how young school children don't develop proper motor skills (they can't somersault or use scissors properly!), and there has even been some talk about banning 'screens' in schools as it is considered to be one of the reasons kids these days come out of school dumber and fatter than in the past.

There's also a lot of fear of the whole digital warfare thing going on, and just imagine the hilarious chaos that would ensue if someone managed to hack the TeacherBots and have them teach the kids to swear or something.

.. To be fair I did have a teacher who did spend a lesson particularly on the five profane swearwords in highschool. Fun times!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Not that some think it is easy but rather that the relationships one must have with each and everyone run into throughout the years can leave lasting negative impacts. I can't say I remember my schooling years with fondness. 

But now at work there is only fun and happyness?

School is hard work for children, while they want to do anything but being in a classroom.
Some children are very hard to motivate, not 2 of them are the same. Some children love to read, others despise it. Every now and then there is one in a class who despises everything that is school related.
There are a few kids with disorders in almost every class.  There are kids who have a terrible time at home.
That all makes teaching very complex, and I even left out a lot (most).
AI can support teachers, but never replace them any time soon.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

But now at work there is only fun and happyness?

School is hard work for children, while they want to do anything but being in a classroom.
Some children are very hard to motivate, not 2 of them are the same. Some children love to read, others despise it. Every now and then there is one in a class who despises everything that is school related.
There are a few kids with disorders in all most every class.  There are kids who have a lousy time at home.
That all makes teaching very complex, and I even left out a lot.

I'm sure there are conscientious educators out there who try their best on each individual student but with their workload and the fact they are human as well having their own issues, consistency is a hard thing. An AI humanoid would be more consistent and to the student, more predictable just like if one had the same teacher throughout their schoolyears.

We will speak to each other in 2050 to see who was right. Okay?
:D

I will be 92 then, but I will hang on, so we can see who was right.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I don't know? 🤔 You could just ask ChatGPT everything you need to know as you go along. 

Also, some pupils may be night owls, so they could do their studying at 2am with an AI and have a lie-in until 11am instead of having to get up early to go into school 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I'll be the same age then so what would be the advantage to waiting until then? 

If I needed to take a course at this time and was given the choice, I think I would prefer an AI teacher as in some ways most of my learning has come from reading books, articles and experience already. 

Of course part of the issue is in whether one is already interested in a particular subject. A human teacher may be able to impart an interest in something that isn't there naturally. From that perspective I could see a human teacher being better if they actually were able to.

13 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Of course part of the issue is in whether one is already interested in a particular subject. A human teacher may be able to impart an interest in something that isn't there naturally. From that perspective I could see a human teacher being better if they actually were able to.

Yes, this is very true...I don't think I'd ever have gone from hating and fearing having to read Shakespeare to enjoying most of his plays (and loving a few 😍) if it hadn't been for a particular enthusiastic teacher at sixth form 👍

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

That is a whole other set of peeves right there. Visas are a PIA.

I wish. Never had one, never will.

Peeve: Not ever being able to afford to leave the country even if it isn't permanent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Yes, this is very true...I don't think I'd ever have gone from hating and fearing having to read Shakespeare to enjoying most of his plays (and loving a few 😍) if it hadn't been for a particular enthusiastic teacher at sixth form 👍

I can understand that in spite of not having had the same experience with them. I suffered through Shakespeare, Wuthering Heights and a few others. I did well on exams regarding them but I really didn't enjoy reading them and the teachers I had probably had no interest in them either except they were required to teach them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I don't know? 🤔 You could just ask ChatGPT everything you need to know as you go along. 

That is actually a really good point. My particular way of learning something is to ask what are the particular limits of a thing so that I knew what was within that. So many human teachers never understood what I was attempting to do and thought I was trolling. 

ChatGPT would not get emotionally wrapped up like a human teacher and simply answer the question rather then shutting down. Can remember too many teachers in my past who refused to answer questions because they thought they were being played.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

That is if Apophis doesn't smash into the earth in 2036.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Not to myself:
Tinfoil hats!
I have to put them on the marketplace before 2036.

Peeve: I finally bought "non-stick" aluminum foil for the first time. I will never go back to "normal" foil (unless there is some reason)!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:
8 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Sorry about that.  It was a really good bone and I didn't want to share.  In my defense, I gave you plenty of warning to back off from your thieving ways before that bite.

I've been vaccinated for rabies, so just wash the wound and learn your lesson. 

Peeve: It's a pretty easy lesson not to put your hand in someone's mouth while they are eating!  I was just worried about you choking.

Peeve: After all that, Cinnamon led me back to the same spot this evening where I took the bone away this morning.  Me not paying attention..she took and ate the same bone.  I am 100% certain she remembered this morning and led me back there so she could get the bone!

The only lesson learned today was by me!

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

ChatGPT would not get emotionally wrapped up like a human teacher and simply answer the question rather then shutting down. Can remember too many teachers in my past who refused to answer questions because they thought they were being played.

Yes, teachers are only human, and I think if they're in a bad mood, or worried about other things, they can mistake a pupil's curiosity for trolling. Or sometimes not know how to respond, and get defensive...¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That is if Apophis doesn't smash into the earth in 2036.

Peeve: now I feel like re-watching Stargate SG1 .. Again.

apophis.gif?resize=464,261&ssl=1

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Yes, teachers are only human, and I think if they're in a bad mood, or worried about other things, they can mistake a pupil's curiosity for trolling. Or sometimes not know how to respond, and get defensive...¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

And of course sometimes the students really are trolling, just to see if they can derail the class discussion. An AI instructor would take all the fun out of trolling, so maybe not a bad idea.

All in all, though, I think that AI instruction at this point may be OK for rote learning of facts but not much good for anything that requires deep individual thinking. Who knows what it may become in another 30 years?