18 hours ago, Dyna Mole said:

To clarify ....  the topic of the thread is Pet Peeves.  It's hard to resist responding to a juicy peeve with a bit of discussion.  My gentle reminder was a plea to avoid derailing the thread by turning it into -- hypothetically -- a thread about immortality (which is an excellent peeve, BTW).  Please just remember to veer back on target before it heads off the rails.

Okay Dyna, I have a peeve, or more accurately, a question. Is the decoration on your hat on the right hand side, or in front? I can convince myself it's either, with perhaps a slight bias to the right.

It's sometimes the case that the side on which we wear something has some significance, like the Hanky Code. Without being sure just where your hat's adornment is located, I can’t even begin to know if it peeves me, let alone just what kind of peeve it should elicit.

I impatiently await your response.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I sort of get that . . . except that a lot of what is on display here is not and has never been in the arsenal of the Canadian Forces. They are most often American imports, with teams coming north for this show, and they are (or were: it's been a while since I actually attended the event) often introduced first by the name and maker of the aircraft. So, something will be introduced as a "Boeing F-15EX Eagle II, flown by the USAF, [unit whatever]."

Interestingly, the most prominent (and maybe even only) display by the Canadian Forces is the "Snowbirds," who are military, but fly unarmed jets demonstrably not outfitted for war. Canada was in Afghanistan, but by far our most important military duties since the Korean War have been peacekeeping.

snowbirds.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=120

I do get the "honouring the past" thing. As I said, I enjoy watching vintage aircraft of all sorts, even military.

But as an inveterate peacenik, I personally find the sight of Toronto being stalked by a Stealth Jet a bit . . . not good.

Dad was very sensitive to the line between patriotism and jingoism, and found that airshows often crossed it.

• Like 1

But, but..... the Dutch word for matches is lucifers.
Way more appropriate. No?

Oops, I forgot the pet peeve part:
Pet peeve:  But, but..... the Dutch word for matches is lucifers.
Way more appropriate. No?

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Okay Dyna, I have a peeve, or more accurately, a question. Is the decoration on your hat on the right hand side, or in front? I can convince myself it's either, with perhaps a slight bias to the right.

It's sometimes the case that the side on which we wear something has some significance, like the Hanky Code. Without being sure just where your hat's adornment is located, I can even begin to know if it peeves me, let alone just what kind of peeve it should elicit.

I impatiently await your response.

It depends on whether or not you're looking in a mirror. 

5 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Are there really people out there who want to live forever?
I mean, life is a great gift, but forever is awfully long.

When I was young, I did. Then one day it hit me that if I did, I would have to watch the universe die, alone. It's hard enough watching my home planet dying.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

"The true warrior wins without ever drawing his sword." Your dad chose to keep his hands off the stick because he was done with that part of his life. He had no more need to set his hands to something he always saw as a weapon.

True, except for the "always". He learned to fly, for the fun of it, at Kaneohe before the war, during off time while he was in the submarine service across the island at Pearl. When the war broke out, they needed pilots more than submariners, so he switched topside. Flying went from joyous to dreadful very quickly. He went back under after the war, doing recon and research. He'd not associated his prewar time on boats with death, so was able to set sail again without all that dread.

Dad did find much in common between those two worlds. I think he was one of very few to survive both of them.

Speaking of peeves, he found them hard to come by. Life was good.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

True, except for the "always". He learned to fly, for the fun of it, at Kaneohe before the war, during off time while he was in the submarine service across the island at Pearl. When the war broke out, they needed pilots more than submariners, so he switched topside. Flying went from joyous to dreadful very quickly. He went back under after the war, doing recon and research. He'd not associated his prewar time on boats with death, so was able to set sail again without all that dread.

Dad did find much in common between those two worlds. I think he was one of very few to survive both of them.

Speaking of peeves, he found them hard to come by. Life was good.

Then I think he would be proud of his daughter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cali Souther said:

It can not be over soon enough for me!!    110 / 43  is toooooo hot!  :D

A few years ago, I entertained the idea of finding a modest winter retreat someplace warmer than Port Washington. I've reconsidered as I watch those places catch fire, or sink under flood waters. Now I read that Duluth, MN is the new Mecca for those weary of climate driven disasters.

Procrastination FTW!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

A few years ago, I entertained the idea of finding a modest winter retreat someplace warmer than Port Washington. I've reconsidered as I watch those places catch fire, or sink under flood waters. Now I read that Duluth, MN is the new Mecca for those weary of climate driven disasters.

Procrastination FTW!

Duluth is a lovely place to live. Although, if you were looking a few months ago I'd have given you a buddy's number about the place he was selling in Two Harbours, just up the road a bit :D