5 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Some people are more interested in maintaining a connection to their ancestors than others are. It only takes one generation for family history to disappear, so I imagine you could make a case that the answer to "So what?" is "So, maybe my grandchildren will want to know." Personally, I don't find myself bragging about what long-dead family members may have done (especially if they just managed to be in the right place at the right time). Still, it's interesting history. I don't want to be the last person in the family who knows. It's kind of like not being the one to mess up a chain letter, I guess.

I don't think I'm the only amurrican who is mostly ashamed of my ancestors who sailed across the sea and usurped the land from the folk who were already living here(And yeah, my ancestry traces back to 16th century white anglo-saxon protestants who did that). Not something I want to brag about, but, I get what you mean about not wanting to break the chain letter either.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I've never heard that Thanksgiving came from Europe, and if it came from England we'd have heard about it and would probably still be celebrating it.  Harvest Festivals as such are common but are celebrated in September or October, after the harvest.  Thanksgiving is just too late in the year.

It wasn't called Thanksgiving. The whole thing is a myth.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/thanksgiving-myth-and-what-we-should-be-teaching-kids-180973655/

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Which reminds us to look at American history and see how few of our ancestors were Puritans.  They were a minority even in colonial days. 🦃

Wait until you read the article I posted above. The Smithsonian one in my reply to Garnet. They were a minority only in skin color. I guess you could add religious beliefs to that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Wait until you read the article I posted above. The Smithsonian one in my reply to Garnet. They were a minority only in skin color. I guess you could add religious beliefs to that.

Yup. We read about King Philip's War and the Wampanoag history when I was in school, back in the 60s. It's not a pretty part of American history.  That article seems like a pretty good summary of what I remember learning.  It doesn't even mention Puritans, though, who were the ones Orwar mentioned and I was commenting about.  They really were a minority among the Anglo settlers, even in New England.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yup. We read about King Philip's War and the Wampanoag history when I was in school, back in the 60s. It's not a pretty part of American history.  That article seems like a pretty good summary of what I remember learning.  It doesn't even mention Puritans, though, who were the ones Orwar mentioned and I was commenting about.  They really were a minority among the Anglo settlers, even in New England.

Yes, they were a minority among their own "kind". They were still pilgrims.

image.png.488c2892744b2333d3777fdc371f1b72.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I "heard" (read) that you and Maddy are quite close, so..

Actually, the three of us (Maddy, Snugs, and I) are the Secret Illuminati of SL, and also run the Ladies Templar here.

I made you say that. You just don't know it. Cuz you're not real.

PS. Snugs doesn't log in very often. When I see her online, it's usually a sign that Maddy is especially up to no good.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Actually, the three of us (Maddy, Snugs, and I) are the Secret Illuminati of SL, and also run the Ladies Templar here.

I made you say that. You just don't know it. Cuz you're not real.

PS. Snugs doesn't log in very often. When I see her online, it's usually a sign that Maddy is especially up to no good.

FIC!

Screen-Shot-2021-10-28-at-2.03.04-PM-204

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Peeve: AI 'enhanced' SL advert pictures .. As if Daz3D-shots weren't misrepresentative enough.

344481d6b0c4508fa939eea2ea3b31cf.png

I know exactly what store that is.. they put more effort into the AI than they do the textures for their clothes.. which are full perm kit.. lol

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

One day someone will explain "turkey frying" to me . . .

This is a thing we don't have here. Is it a regional thing in the US?

No clue if it is done elsewhere or was inspired from traditions outside the US.

Normal turkey fryers are propane powered (like a gas BBQ grill) and extremely dangerous due to tipping and fire hazards. People do bone-headed things like use them indoors. Typically, peanut oil is used.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

No clue if it is done elsewhere or was inspired from traditions outside the US.

Normal turkey fryers are propane powered (like a gas BBQ grill) and extremely dangerous due to tipping and fire hazards. People do bone-headed things like use them indoors. Typically, peanut oil is used.

What does it . . . do? To the turkey? This isn't battered, right?

I've never eaten a fried turkey!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It cooks the meat, the skin ends up crispy. Not battered. The meat is juicy and flavorful because you soak the turkey in a brine solution for about a day before frying it. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It cooks a whole turkey in about 45 minutes.

Frying it does the same thing as it would anything really. It seals the meat.. so it's really tender inside.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3