In other news, I've received the longest and strangest offline IM from my ex (with whom, for context, I am very good friends) about

1. how weirded out he is that he has a new "friend" after having inadvertently left himself logged in for 8 hours and whom he can't recall ever meeting and has never spoken to, and

2. Klingon grammar, and its translation into Standard English.

No, I don't get it either, but it's pretty hilarious.

Peeve: SL can be so weird.

Non-peeve: But mostly in really funny ways.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
GRAMMAR MATTERS!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You ain't kidding! I just spent the last half hour digging around for clothes to throw on a bed/the floor. I'll let you guess how long it took me rezzing dresses onto the set before I realized they won't just auto-crumple into strewn piles like I want them to.

Some days, I really shouldn't be doing photography.

Klingon grammar, though...that's one heck of an offline.

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

In other news, I've received the longest and strangest offline IM from my ex (with whom, for context, I am very good friends) about

1. how weirded out he is that he has a new "friend" after having inadvertently left himself logged in for 8 hours and whom he can't recall ever meeting and has never spoken to, and

2. Klingon grammar, and it's translation into Standard English.

No, I don't get it either, but it's pretty hilarious.

Not knowing anything else about your ex, I think I'd appreciate the kind of sci-fi geek guy who gets excited about Klingon grammar. I had one who would go on and on about previous table-top roleplaying campaigns, and I kind of like that kind of enthusiasm. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

You ain't kidding! I just spent the last half hour digging around for clothes to throw on a bed/the floor. I'll let you guess how long it took me rezzing dresses onto the set before I realized they won't just auto-crumple into strewn piles like I want them to.

Some days, I really shouldn't be doing photography.

Klingon grammar, though...that's one heck of an offline.

I have a folder that is literally named "floor clothes," containing crumpled and strewn-about clothing. So that I can properly replicate the area surrounding my RL bed.

It's all about being authentically MEEEE!

/me kicks a pair of undies beneath the bed, hoping you didn't notice.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Not knowing anything else about your ex, I think I'd appreciate the kind of sci-fi geek guy who gets excited about Klingon grammar. I had one who would go on and on about previous table-top roleplaying campaigns, and I kind of like that kind of enthusiasm. 

He's actually a comic book geek, rather than sci-fi, per se. Although I think he does like Star Trek a lot.

The Klingon thing comes from a running joke he has with me: he greets me in a different language every time he says hello in-world. He's run through a LOT of RL languages. His decision to use Klingon on this occasion led to a long and almost coherent philosophical monologue on the subject of the language and its relationship to English. Fortunately, it was amusing -- otherwise my eyes would have glazed over at some point midway through the second sentence.

He is an enthusiastic greeter, though!

• Like 1

This is both a "Pet Delight" and a couple "Pet Peeves".

Pet Delight: That our local libraries are funded well enough to provide safe, comfortable locations 5 days a week, with good air-conditioning, computers and wifi, as well as books, DVDs & a myriad of other resources. (One of their resources is free lunches for children Tuesday through Friday.)

Pet Peeve # 1: Another stretch (4 days) of 100 F + days (38 C +)

Pet Peeve # 2:  Young children at the libraries sometimes crying, screaming or running around while a parent chases them. Sometimes it feels like a daycare center.

Pet Peeve # 3: Not enough shaded parking anywhere. I think buildings in the future should have large eaves to shade both the building and the sidewalks and parking spaces next to the buildings. While they're at it, lets have more parking shade covers with solar energy panels atop them. (One of our public electricity companies has these.)

Mega Peeve: Global Warming 😞

• Like 4

Peeve:  People that think anyone trying to have any sort of comical fun is immature. But then some folks don't seem to know how to have any fun.  Laughter is part of the secret to longevity.

And then assuming us fun ones only hang out here in the forums.  I am usually logged in every evening from the time I am done working until I go to bed. Weekends, typically early morning until late evening.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Peeve:  People that think anyone trying to have any sort of comical fun is immature. But then some folks don't seem to know how to have any fun.  Laughter is part of the secret to longevity.

And then assuming us fun ones only hang out here in the forums.  I am usually logged in every evening from the time I am done working until I go to bed. Weekends, typically early morning until late evening.

Yep, I'm in every day for several hours in the mornings.  Usually doing a picture or out laughing it up with random people.  Spent some time at the New Welcome area several times this week, too.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have a folder that is literally named "floor clothes," containing crumpled and strewn-about clothing. So that I can properly replicate the area surrounding my RL bed.

It's all about being authentically MEEEE!

/me kicks a pair of undies beneath the bed, hoping you didn't notice.

Omg, I need store names sometime. My hunt for clothing decor led me to, well, rezzing out stuff I actually WEAR. 😂

I found things, of course, but I'm not paying dang near 400L just to take a photo (mini peeve...clutter and photo props are so spensive sometimes). Quick tip - shoes do make for easy rezzing, though (sometimes).

The Klingon thing comes from a running joke he has with me: he greets me in a different language every time he says hello in-world. He's run through a LOT of RL languages. His decision to use Klingon on this occasion led to a long and almost coherent philosophical monologue on the subject of the language and its relationship to English. Fortunately, it was amusing -- otherwise my eyes would have glazed over at some point midway through the second sentence.

He is an enthusiastic greeter, though!

You should introduce him to Lisa Gerrard (not literally, but wow if you could). Doesn't she use her own language in many of her songs?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Omg, I need store names sometime. My hunt for clothing decor led me to, well, rezzing out stuff I actually WEAR. 😂

I found things, of course, but I'm not paying dang near 400L just to take a photo (mini peeve...clutter and photo props are so spensive sometimes). Quick tip - shoes do make for easy rezzing, though (sometimes).

Just in case you thought I was joking . . . and there are some store names here too. I don't remember how much most of it cost. Some I probably got on sale? Black Sand regularly has weekend sales items that are closets with shoes, hats, and hung up clothing, including this week, so maybe that's a start?

https://gyazo.com/149b233b575ee814027eb5dfb9cd1acf

6 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

You should introduce him to Lisa Gerrard (not literally, but wow if you could). Doesn't she use her own language in many of her songs?

She does, and also a sort of polyglot dialect. He'd probably be interested, but not use it because I suggested it to him!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just in case you thought I was joking . . . and there are some store names here too. I don't remember how much most of it cost. Some I probably got on sale? Black Sand regularly has weekend sales items that are closets with shoes, hats, and hung up clothing, including this week, so maybe that's a start?

https://gyazo.com/149b233b575ee814027eb5dfb9cd1acf

Debris for rooms. 😂Thank you so much! Time to go shoppinnnnng!

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

She does, and also a sort of polyglot dialect. He'd probably be interested, but not use it because I suggested it to him!

LMAO, now there's a peeve - friends do suck sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Peeve #1: Found the official Second Life "blog" post with the link to the article on Furries in Second Life.  I can see an obvious objection to promoting the website where the article was published.

ALSO: Weird to see an article about Furries..on a Furry website..with pictures of Second Life (edit: I mean inline with the text of the article itself) BUT NO FURRIES. PEEVE!

PEEVE #2: Just pulled my ceiling fan cord and it came apart.  Now I need to replace the switch..AGAIN.  Thank DOG for backup fan.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Understanding and creating humor requires intelligence, some types of humor more or less so. 

Making fun of others or bathroom humor require less.

Making fun of ourselves, puns, innuendo, and long-running jokes between multiple people require more.

..Yes.  But I try so hard!  (Yes, it's not about me.)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Klingon grammar, and its translation into Standard English.

I once saw a (presumed) wedding party of RL Klingon cosplayers at a "Medieval Knights" dinner with my family. They were very distracting.  I commented to my stepmom at the time, how I found it annoying that the Klingons were so "macho"; by that I meant loud, obnoxious, etc.  This was probably somewhere between 1998 and 2002.  (It's been a long time, hard to keep track.)

Peeve: Klingons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I once saw a (presumed) wedding party of RL Klingon cosplayers at a "Medieval Knights" dinner with my family. They were very distracting.  I commented to my stepmom at the time, how I found it annoying that the Klingons were so "macho"; by that I meant loud, obnoxious, etc.  This was probably somewhere between 1998 and 2002.  (It's been a long time, hard to keep track.)

Peeve: Klingons.

I think they're much more woke these days, no? But they probably still have a problem using their "outside voices" inside.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Weird to see an article about Furries..on a Furry website..with pictures of Second Life (edit: I mean inline with the text of the article itself) BUT NO FURRIES. PEEVE!

This was one of the objections I've seen to the article. It's certainly not a very well-thought out profile of the community.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Weird to see an article about Furries..on a Furry website..with pictures of Second Life (edit: I mean inline with the text of the article itself) BUT NO FURRIES. PEEVE!

This was one of the objections I've seen to the article. It's certainly not a very well-thought out profile of the community.

The other obvious objection is, many Furry artists make part of their living drawing Furry art. Publishing an article on that site gives obvious favoritism to the site - which may or may not be the best way to find a Furry artist for your Fursona.

PEEVE

• Like 1

So I've got a chat alert for whenever anyone mentions me by name, 'cause, paying attention to local sucks.

Peeve: how many times in the course of an evening a group of people type the word 'forward'. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Orwar said:

So I've got a chat alert for whenever anyone mentions me by name, 'cause, paying attention to local sucks.

Peeve: how many times in the course of an evening a group of people type the word 'forward'. 

I don't know, but I'm looking forward to finding out!

• Like 1

Peeve: (From earlier) Ceiling fan switch broke today.

Bought a new switch and installed it, snapped it right on, didn't even need to redo the wires..

..and the fan works correctly for the first time. Apparently, the previous switch was defective all these years. 

PEEVE!

(On the plus side, cools better than a reciprocating fan.)

• Like 1